The Politics Thread

shull

On 8/22/2020 at 5:06 PM, freethinker said:

The Humza  character is definitely racist. He is not a fan of the white race. 

Ezra seems a decent chap. Level headed and also Jewish. So can't see how he can fascist and a far right. 

Humza is worth the watching though. A horrible human being. 

There are no far-right Jews?

interesting

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Whitabootery disnae cleanse the palate.

Nationalism always abases those who come in contact.

So Ah huvnae looked at the link.

You should. It's hilarious.

Here's the top tweet:-

"I have five young children. The SNP will NOT teach them, with bananas and Nutella, about anal-sex and rimming. It’s time ALL decent people of all political persuasions including Nationalists, rose up against this hideous monstrosity of a policy

Guest TPAFKATS

The annual reminder that GERS was introduced on 1990s by Ian Lang, then Scottish Secretary, with the sole purpose of working against opposition parties and their claims for either independence or devolution.

Other than the fact that including ALL Scots is more likely to help their side, have they given any justification for that stance?
I can't see any case for allowing anyone other than those who choose to live and work in Scotland being given the right to decide her future. You can't allow people a vote when they have no skin in the game IMO.
antrin may well bang the drum on this but honestly I can't see any justification in him getting a say in our country's future.

Does that include foreign citizens being allowed a vote on Scotland’s future, but not Scots who are based overseas or even based in England?

Does that include foreign citizens being allowed a vote on Scotland’s future, but not Scots who are based overseas or even based in England?

Anyone and everyone registered to vote in Scotland gets a vote, no-one else does. It couldn't be any simpler or any clearer.

You mean people who choose to live and work in Scotland but not people who chose to live and work elsewhere?

It is not being Scottish that qualifies you, it's residency in Scotland. If you are Scottish but live in Liverpool, you get to vote in the Liverpool City Council elections, if you are a Scouser living in Glasgow, you don't.

It would also be very difficult to determine who, other than residents, would/should be eligible to vote. Does being born in Scotland qualify you? What about someone who was born in Scotland to Chinese parents who were just here on holiday and hasn't been back since? Or is it ancestry that qualifies you? What about someone who was has never been to Scotland but was born to Scottish parents outwith Scotland? Does it extend to grandchildren if all the grandparents were born in Scotland but neither of the parents were? Or 3, 2 or just 1 grandparent? Great-grandchildren? Should it be open to anyone that "considers themselves" Scottish? What about those that live and work in Scotland but consider themselves another nationality (e.g. Celtic and Sevco fans)? :)

As I said, very difficult.

You mean people who choose to live and work in Scotland but not people who chose to live and work elsewhere?

It is not being Scottish that qualifies you, it's residency in Scotland. If you are Scottish but live in Liverpool, you get to vote in the Liverpool City Council elections, if you are a Scouser living in Glasgow, you don't.

It would also be very difficult to determine who, other than residents, would/should be eligible to vote. Does being born in Scotland qualify you? What about someone who was born in Scotland to Chinese parents who were just here on holiday and hasn't been back since? Or is it ancestry that qualifies you? What about someone who was has never been to Scotland but was born to Scottish parents outwith Scotland? Does it extend to grandchildren if all the grandparents were born in Scotland but neither of the parents were? Or 3, 2 or just 1 grandparent? Great-grandchildren? Should it be open to anyone that "considers themselves" Scottish? What about those that live and work in Scotland but consider themselves another nationality (e.g. Celtic and Sevco fans)? default_smile.png

As I said, very difficult.

IMG_9223.jpg

Why should foreign citizens be allowed to vote?
I’ve lived and worked in many countries but never had the option to vote, and rightfully so. IMO. If an individual from a foreign country that has then taken British citizenship, then yes, but not someone that’s only in the country on the back of a visa/work permit.

1 hour ago, Russian Saint said:

IMG_9223.jpg

I’ve lived and worked in many countries but never had the option to vote, and rightfully so. IMO. If an individual from a foreign country that has then taken British citizenship, then yes, but not someone that’s only in the country on the back of a visa/work permit.

Because the most important people for a country are those who live and work there.

Period.

I'm not sure what you are struggling with here TBH.

Because the most important people for a country are those who live and work there.
Period.
I'm not sure what you are struggling with here TBH.

We obviously have a difference of opinion on this. My point being........ a foreign national could reside in Scotland (or the UK for that matter) for a period of say two years on a work permit, before heading back to for whence they came.......... but that persons vote could potentially have an impact (positive or negative) for a far longer period of time.
In my opinion. If you have a British passport then you get to vote.

Let me know if you’re struggling with this.

IMG_9223.thumb.jpg.42380d861a236162cee49d9f572be82d.jpg

We obviously have a difference of opinion on this. My point being........ a foreign national could reside in Scotland (or the UK for that matter) for a period of say two years on a work permit, before heading back to for whence they came.......... but that persons vote could potentially have an impact (positive or negative) for a far longer period of time.

So you think that a British citizen, born and bred in Gibraltar and who has never been to Scotland should have a say?

What about someone born in the USA to British parents (and therefore qualifies for a British passport) but none of them have ever been to Scotland?

Someone on a work permit may, or may not, end up making Scotland their home. A Scot, living in Scotland may decide to go live somewhere else after voting, should nobody get a vote in case they move later?

So you think that a British citizen, born and bred in Gibraltar and who has never been to Scotland should have a say?

What about someone born in the USA to British parents (and therefore qualifies for a British passport) but none of them have ever been to Scotland?

Someone on a work permit may, or may not, end up making Scotland their home. A Scot, living in Scotland may decide to go live somewhere else after voting, should nobody get a vote in case they move later?

I assume citizens from Gilbraltar with a British passport will already have the right to vote?

Someone born in the USA (cue for a song) but doesn’t hold a British passport wouldn’t have a vote, because they’re not a British National.

If any of my responses are incorrect then hands up.

Someone on a work permit may end up making Scotland their home, and good for them. IMO, if you don’t hold a British passport you shouldn’t get a vote.

Again, in my opinion. Political parties are using the “foreign citizen” route to bolster their voting figures. That was a popular ploy by labour in England where the demographics were more of the Muslim persuasion. Put up a Muslim candidate to win a seat.
I’m not saying that’s what the SNP are doing, as they don’t really have competition.

2 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

I'm not struggling with it at all.

Those were the rules last time. Those will be the rules next time. Those people you describe may or may not move to another country  but right now they are showing more loyalty to our country than those who chose to move away and pay tax and support the economy of another country. I've done the same when I was younger and I would have accepted it as a consequence of being part of the brain drain out of the  country.

You're just going to have to accept it I'm afraid. Or take it up with Sturgeon.

6 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

I assume citizens from Gilbraltar with a British passport will already have the right to vote?

Someone born in the USA (cue for a song) but doesn’t hold a British passport wouldn’t have a vote, because they’re not a British National.

If any of my responses are incorrect then hands up.

Someone on a work permit may end up making Scotland their home, and good for them. IMO, if you don’t hold a British passport you shouldn’t get a vote.

Again, in my opinion. Political parties are using the “foreign citizen” route to bolster their voting figures. That was a popular ploy by labour in England where the demographics were more of the Muslim persuasion. Put up a Muslim candidate to win a seat.
I’m not saying that’s what the SNP are doing, as they don’t really have competition.

So we should happily subject them to taxation but deny them representation?

I don't think so.

There is absolutely no guarantee that these voters would vote Yes anyway.

In fairness to Sturgeon I think she is genuinely ding what she thinks is right and fair and on this issue she has my support and the support of the majority of reasonable people.

The people you mention (Gibraltar or USA) would only get a vote if they lived and worked here (including students).

I expect they'd have had to have been here at least 3 years as before?

Oh and as regards an independence vote, the SNP very much DO have competition - from the majority who voted No last time. This is about independence not Holyrood.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS

Of course a passport costs a significant amount of money for some people.
Many people born in UK don't have a UK passport. For many it's not important and they have better ways to spent the money.

Charging people to vote, or in effect disenfranchising a specific demographic is often put out there as a plan by right wing 'think tanks'.