The Politics Thread

shull

Even the BBC had to issue a “Who is Richard Leonard?” profile page in the last hour. That’s how much of a minority party Labour have become in Scotland. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-54120195

There’s a Labour Party in Scotland? [emoji15]

7 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

How did that go at the last election ?

Outwith the "little England" mentality over brexit, a lot of the problems at the last election were driven WITHIN the labour party. The "Blairites" never accepted the leader and his direction. They openly criticised their leader. It was, and still is, a fractured party. Better to look at the election before and the massive gains Corbyn made to see how a level playing field showed that a "real" Labour party could benefit from real labour policies.

ETA. Not that I helped their cause because I will always vote SNP UNTIL we get independence. It's only after this I will choose which Scottish party will deserve my support.

Edited by stlucifer

6 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Outwith the "little England" mentality over brexit, a lot of the problems at the last election were driven WITHIN the labour party. The "Blairites" never accepted the leader and his direction. They openly criticised their leader. It was, and still is, a fractured party. Better to look at the election before and the massive gains Corbyn made to see how a level playing field showed that a "real" Labour party could benefit from real labour policies.

ETA. Not that I helped their cause because I will always vote SNP UNTIL we get independence. It's only after this I will choose which Scottish party will deserve my support.

When I look at Corbyn gains I see the worst Tory campaign in living memory and the worst Tory campaigning prime minister ever in May. 

On SNP watching the debate between Neil and Wilson I posted previous should IMO be cause for concern. 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Labour lost because the public weren't interested enough in their policies and they didn't trust Corbyn to run the country.

38 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Labour lost because the public weren't interested enough in their policies and they didn't trust Corbyn to run the country.

I think a more significant reason for Labour doing poorly at polls is that the Press and other media are firmly funded to stop them getting the message out - or simply distorting the message.

2 hours ago, lenziebud said:

When I look at Corbyn gains I see the worst Tory campaign in living memory and the worst Tory campaigning prime minister ever in May. 

On SNP watching the debate between Neil and Wilson I posted previous should IMO be cause for concern. 

So... Corbyn won because of the tories and Corbyn lost because of Corbyn? That makes sense.

As for the SNP. After Independence is achieved they will be either insignificant or non existent so how anyone performs against a media bully is neither here nor there. I believe in the ideal, not individuals in the party.

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

So... Corbyn won because of the tories and Corbyn lost because of Corbyn? That makes sense.

As for the SNP. After Independence is achieved they will be either insignificant or non existent so how anyone performs against a media bully is neither here nor there. I believe in the ideal, not individuals in the party.

A media bully, hmm. I'd say ruthlessly exposing incompetence.

3 hours ago, antrin said:

I think a more significant reason for Labour doing poorly at polls is that the Press and other media are firmly funded to stop them getting the message out - or simply distorting the message.

100% and will be the same here come election day.  fortunately most of us up here are a bit more savvy 

• 2 weeks later...

It seems wee Nicky is starting to lose the crowd.

Scottish independence and SNP support dips slightly in new poll

A new poll has shown a slight dip in support for both Scottish independence and the SNP.

Research by Survation suggests 52% of Scots back the country leaving the rest of the UK – a drop of two percentage points from November.

17 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It seems wee Nicky is starting to lose the crowd.

Scottish independence and SNP support dips slightly in new poll

A new poll has shown a slight dip in support for both Scottish independence and the SNP.

Research by Survation suggests 52% of Scots back the country leaving the rest of the UK – a drop of two percentage points from November.

Should be interesting to see that number after she has to resign