The Politics Thread

shull

12 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

FAO @TPAFKA Jersey 2 The current mess surrounding wee Nicky and the SNP could see this drop even further.

52 per cent would vote Yes in a second independence referendum, a fall of four percentage points since the last Ipsos MORI survey in November,

That doesn’t make much sense. I could understand why a drop in popularity might affect election results but why would it affect independence support?

Anyone in favour of independence who changes their mind because of the performance of an incumbent First Minister is frankly a moron.

Anyway, like I said, let’s see what happens at the election. 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That doesn’t make much sense. I could understand why a drop in popularity might affect election results but why would it affect independence support?

Anyone in favour of independence who changes their mind because of the performance of an incumbent First Minister is frankly a moron.

It is the nature of polls. There is a margin of error that explains these fluctuations. Next poll could quite easily show 57% for. That would also be within the margin. 

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

People are fickle, it's the unknowns who hold the key.

Anyway, like I said, support dropping but at the end of the day I couldn't give a flying, I'll get on with my life irrespective what happens, as I always have.

I tend not to blame the government for everything. 

Edited by faraway saint

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

People are fickle, it's the unknowns who hold the key.

Anyway, like I said, support dropping but at the end of the day I couldn't give a flying, I'll get on with my life irrespective what happens, as I always have.

I tend not to blame the government for everything. 

Aye but you’re a self confessed play it safe kinda guy. You’re never going to be a supporter of independence.

Unfortunately in Scotland (in 2014 at least) you are far from alone. That’s the bit I’m hoping has changed with others if not you. 
Im hoping that some of the other play it safe people are more angry than you about being lied to. 

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Aye but you’re a self confessed play it safe kinda guy. You’re never going to be a supporter of independence.

Unfortunately in Scotland (in 2014 at least) you are far from alone. That’s the bit I’m hoping has changed with others if not you. 
Im hoping that some of the other play it safe people are more angry than you about being lied to. 

Am I? :lol:

I've had over 20 jobs throughout my career, never been one to accept what I was offered, strived to move on and move up.

Certainly not the "40 years" service type guy. 

Not exactly "play it safe".

You're getting me mixed up with someone else, I just don't happen to fret about things that, at the end of the day, come and go, as they have done over the years.

If you pay attention to the current furore about the SNP you might want to alter your position. 

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Am I? :lol:

I've had over 20 jobs throughout my career, never been one to accept what I was offered, strived to move on and move up.

Certainly not the "40 years" service type guy. 

Not exactly "play it safe".

You're getting me mixed up with someone else, I just don't happen to fret about things that, at the end of the day, come and go, as they have done over the years.

If you pay attention to the current furore about the SNP you might want to alter your position. 

In fairness that might just mean you’re rubbish at your job and keep getting found out. 😉😘

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I could just have said "I umnie" but I gave you one clear example to contradict your massive, wrong, assumption.

I have hunners.

Let's leave it at that, it could get messy. 

If you remember I was happy to leave it at that about 4 hours ago.

Lets let the election results do the talking. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If you remember I was happy to leave it at that about 4 hours ago.

Lets let the election results do the talking. 

No you weren't. :lol:

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

FAO @TPAFKA Jersey 2 The current mess surrounding wee Nicky and the SNP could see this drop even further.

52 per cent would vote Yes in a second independence referendum, a fall of four percentage points since the last Ipsos MORI survey in November,

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

46 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No you weren't. :lol:

Aye ah was. 

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Worrying about single figure fluctuations isn't worth it.

The key things to take away are two-fold:

1) Support for independence has now crossed the 50% mark and has consistently stayed there over the last 20 polls or so. Obviously this is significant.

2) Neither side has got close to the consistent 60% mark needed to show a decisive lead and put the debate to bed once and for all. This should worry the Yes side because this is after "being lied to", Boris getting in, an increased Tory majority in Westminster, Brexit, further austerity and a pandemic which has been considered badly managed by Westminster. If that lot hasn't moved folk, what else would need to go in favour of Yes for that needle to swing decisively and finally towards a clear desire for independence?

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Worrying about single figure fluctuations isn't worth it.

The key things to take away are two-fold:

1) Support for independence has now crossed the 50% mark and has consistently stayed there over the last 20 polls or so. Obviously this is significant.

2) Neither side has got close to the consistent 60% mark needed to show a decisive lead and put the debate to bed once and for all. This should worry the Yes side because this is after "being lied to", Boris getting in, an increased Tory majority in Westminster, Brexit, further austerity and a pandemic which has been considered badly managed by Westminster. If that lot hasn't moved folk, what else would need to go in favour of Yes for that needle to swing decisively and finally towards a clear desire for independence?

Can’t argue with any of that.......which is truly f**kin depressing. 

12 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Can’t argue with any of that.......which is truly f**kin depressing. 

Look on the bright side. Last time round, independence polls were under 30% when the referendum was announced and once people got into the campaign numbers rose to 45%.

Maybe an actual referendum campaign is needed to get that boost.

It also might just be too soon. We have only just had one and people in this country do grudgingly accept and respect democracy. I was very pro-Yes but said myself that after 2014, the issue should be left until at least 10 to 15 years had passed but Yes supporters are too impatient and that might be where the problem lies.

What I am against is Westminster having the power to decide when it should take place. That should be done by Holyrood.

Look on the bright side. Last time round, independence polls were under 30% when the referendum was announced and once people got into the campaign numbers rose to 45%.
It also might just be too soon. We have only just had one and people in this country do grudgingly accept and respect democracy. I was very pro-Yes but said myself that after 2014, the issue should be left until at least 10 to 15 years had passed but Yes supporters are too impatient and that might be where the problem lies.
What I am against is Westminster having the power to decide when it should take place. That should be done by Holyrood.
I'd have respected the 10-15 years if it hadn't been for brexit, for the 60% remain Scotland that was a game changer. I agree that holyrood should have the power to hold inyref2 though rather than Westminster.

24 minutes ago, Mykey said:
2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'd have respected the 10-15 years if it hadn't been for brexit, for the 60% remain Scotland that was a game changer. I agree that holyrood should have the power to hold inyref2 though rather than Westminster.

It's certainly put Yes ahead but it doesn't appear to have been a game changer for the country as a whole.

Like I said, it might take a formal independence campaign to get the numbers up but it's a huge risk for Yes. If they lose again I think that'll (quite rightly) be the end of it for decades.