The Politics Thread

shull

16 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Last time I looked, London wasn’t a country that is part of a political union. London ie England voted convincingly for brexit.

Ho hum.

Last time I looked, the UK as a political union voted for something that Scotland and London - both entities within that same political union - lost in a 'democratic vote'.

Democracy - suck it up.

Although as you choose to live in a Crown Dependency where many people weren't even allowed a vote on Brexit, I might be wasting my time.

Referenda are only used as the last resort of failures to govern.

8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Brexit-backing Sunderland says it is not receiving same level of funding outside EU

"I don’t think the Government has any intention to give us pound for pound what we had,” Council leader Graeme Miller said.

Oh dear.

How sad.

Never mind.

(if it wasn't written on the side of a bus why would they believe anything?)

Edited by antrin

8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Brexit-backing Sunderland says it is not receiving same level of funding outside EU

"I don’t think the Government has any intention to give us pound for pound what we had,” Council leader Graeme Miller said.

Incredibly numb some folk are to believe that by supporting someone else's ideas that they might be looked on favourably after that idea/goal has been achieved by those individuals. Wake up Graeme Miller and smell the coffee🙄

19 minutes ago, antrin said:

Ho hum.

Last time I looked, the UK as a political union voted for something that Scotland and London - both entities within that same political union - lost in a 'democratic vote'.

Democracy - suck it up.

Although as you choose to live in a Crown Dependency where many people weren't even allowed a vote on Brexit, I might be wasting my time.

Referenda are only used as the last resort of failures to govern.

Correct. One a city within a country within a political union. The other an entire country within a political union. Let’s not be silly by trying to say they are the same thing. That would indeed be a bit dumb.

I do live in a crown dependency and in 2014 I absolutely correctly did not have a vote. Nor indeed should I have had one. That does not mean that I didn’t care. On the contrary I did everything in my albeit limited power to campaign for Yes, alongside my family who still live in Scotland and who unanimously voted Yes.

Suggesting that because I live in Jersey, I have no right to an opinion on Scottish independence is a bit like saying when ye leave yer mammy and daddy’s hoose, you’ve nae right to an opinion on what happens tae yer mammy and daddy. 

There's another Brexit stushie today this time in Cornwall (Leave 57%) where the lack of EU workers has led to the "World's Largest Daffodil Farm" having to throw away "hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of rotting flowers" - it's almost as if BJs Oven Ready Deal was a puff job.

PS - Surely them Cornish fisherman have spare time on their hands at present...:whistle

PPS - Whooodathunk there was only one "l" in Daffodill?:hammer

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

There's another Brexit stushie today this time in Cornwall (Leave 57%) where the lack of EU workers has led to the "World's Largest Daffodil Farm" having to throw away "hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of rotting flowers" - it's almost as if BJs Oven Ready Deal was a puff job.

PS - Surely them Cornish fisherman have spare time on their hands at present...:whistle

Another thing that's down to Johnson, although it was the public, remember them, that voted to leave?

I'd imagine Covid is as much to do with the lack of labour as any deal, wouldn't you? 

Do you dream about Johnson as you seem to think about him in every waking moment? :lol:

What goes around comes around, they're lucky Nissan didn't just up sticks and leave!

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

1 Another thing that's down to Johnson, although it was the public, remember them, that voted to leave?

2 I'd imagine Covid is as much to do with the lack of labour as any deal, wouldn't you? 

3 Do you dream about Johnson as you seem to think about him in every waking moment? :lol:

1. Yeah but it was Johnson who told the lies and plenty of them - in the referendum and about the Oven Ready Deal.

2. Then you'd imagine wrong - it's down to a government oversight on the difference between food and ornamental crops

'The seasonal worker pilot scheme allows workers from outside of the EU - that's the important bit, outside the EU - under a visa scheme to come in and harvest food crops. 

'There is significant pools of available workers from places such as the Ukraine, Moldova and further afield in South America.

'But for the time being that's only for edible crops. It does not include ornamental crops. By definition, flowers are excluded from that.'

3 At least I don't suffer from emissions when I dream about him like you obviously do...:snore

5 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:
1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

What goes around comes around, they're lucky Nissan didn't just up sticks and leave!

Must have been given a hell of a sweetener to stay.

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

1. Yeah but it was Johnson who told the lies and plenty of them - in the referendum and about the Oven Ready Deal.

2. Then you'd imagine wrong - it's down to a government oversight on the difference between food and ornamental crops

3 At least I don't suffer from emissions when I dream about him like you obviously do...:snore

These "pools of available workers", how are they going to get here?

You are aware of the travel ban?

Methinks that's a load of old shite. 

Nice of you to admit you dream about him, although not a surprise. :lol:

Anyhow, back to the popcorn, Salmond still rolling out his evidence. 

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

1. These "pools of available workers", how are they going to get here?

You are aware of the travel ban?

Methinks that's a load of old shite. 

2 Nice of you to admit you dream about him, although not a surprise. :lol:

3 Anyhow, back to the popcorn, Salmond still rolling out his evidence. 

That's not the way the Daily Mail (yeah the Daily Mail!) are reporting it today (26 Feb), this situation didn't just happen overnight it's taken months of incompetence and wishful thinking from the government to achieve it - methinks any shite is coming from you.

World's largest daffodil grower in Cornwall is forced to let fields of flowers ROT because there are not enough pickers available after Brexit

The UK Government's post-Brexit immigration plans moved the UK away from offering visas to low-skilled migrant workers from Europe, drastically reducing the number of workers coming to the UK.

Hopes that Cornish workers could step into the shoes of those who are now unable to travel from the European Union have been dashed.

Brexit: Daffodils ROT in Cornwall fields due to shortage of workers | Daily Mail Online

2. I still dream of that time me & BJ spit-roasted you - we greased you up like a pig that day :lol:

3. Makes no difference, if Nicky's been stupid enough to get caught then we'll just have to get a new leader, the end situation will be the same, the Union is fucked.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I caught a bit on the TV about a Scottish gin company who, before Brexit, exported their gin to the EU for £35 a bottle.

Due to taxes and "red tape" that have arisen since Brexit, that bottle now costs double the price, which of course no one in their right mind would pay for.

He did say that Boris and his cronies have been promising access to fabulous trade deals with other countries.........................................................................................................

Four years these useless, chinless fucks have had to prepare for the aftermath of Brexit. Most likely spent lining their own pockets.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

That's not the way the Daily Mail (yeah the Daily Mail!) are reporting it today (26 Feb), this situation didn't just happen overnight it's taken months of incompetence and wishful thinking from the government to achieve it - methinks any shite is coming from you.

Brexit: Daffodils ROT in Cornwall fields due to shortage of workers | Daily Mail Online

2. I still dream of that time me & BJ spit-roasted you - we greased you up like a pig that day :lol:

3. Makes no difference, if Nicky's been stupid enough to get caught then we'll just have to get a new leader, the end situation will be the same, the Union is fucked.

Aye, BUT the travel ban, over rides all that slavering.

You need help.

The Union is alive and, hopefully, will be, for as long as the foreseeable future, your dreams are irrelevant. :byebye

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, BUT the travel ban, over rides all that slavering.

You need help.

The Union is alive and, hopefully, will be, for as long as the foreseeable future, your dreams are irrelevant. :byebye

Tell it to the Daily Mail, I'm sure they'll be glad to know they've been outsmarted by you...:byebye

The Union is dead and the more Labour try to become Tory-Lite both here and at UK level the deader it will become.

Edited by Bud the Baker

15 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I caught a bit on the TV about a Scottish gin company who, before Brexit, exported their gin to the EU for £35 a bottle.

Due to taxes and "red tape" that have arisen since Brexit, that bottle now costs double the price, which of course no one in their right mind would pay for.

He did say that Boris and his cronies have been promising access to fabulous trade deals with other countries.........................................................................................................

Four years these useless, chinless fucks have had to prepare for the aftermath of Brexit. Most likely spent lining their own pockets.

Can't believe you would suggest what is in last paragraph 😉

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Correct. One a city within a country within a political union. The other an entire country within a political union. Let’s not be silly by trying to say they are the same thing. That would indeed be a bit dumb.

I do live in a crown dependency and in 2014 I absolutely correctly did not have a vote. Nor indeed should I have had one. That does not mean that I didn’t care. On the contrary I did everything in my albeit limited power to campaign for Yes, alongside my family who still live in Scotland and who unanimously voted Yes.

Suggesting that because I live in Jersey, I have no right to an opinion on Scottish independence is a bit like saying when ye leave yer mammy and daddy’s hoose, you’ve nae right to an opinion on what happens tae yer mammy and daddy. 

Erm.....you don't though. You certainly don't have a right to an opinion unless you are talking about funeral, medical care or care home (if you have power of attorney) arrangements.

My kids are lovely and I would talk and listen to them about virtually anything but they have no right to voice their opinion on anything we do.

Too many people taking pleasure in the misfortunes Brexit has brought others.

No thought at all for the 40-odd % who did NOT vote for Brexit in Cornwall and Sunderland.

Those indulging in this have a right cheek talking about the Tories being cunts.

It's like I said, the world is crammed full of fake lefties who use morality only as a political weapon.

17 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Tell it to the Daily Mail, I'm sure they'll be glad to know they've been outsmarted by you...:byebye

The Union is dead and the more Labour try to become Tory-Lite both here and at UK level the deader it will become.

Yet another case you prove you can't think for yourself, remember the tedious "tell that to whateverthefeckhisnamewas" saga.  :lol:

Still a union, despite you ever growing desperate attempts to say there is not. :byebye

Aye, this sums it up for me and something I thought some time ago..............................

Economists predict leaving the EU will reduce the UK’s prosperity but, amid the disruption, opportunities are available, argued Mark Gregory, UK chief economist of EY, the professional services firm. “Brexit is a process not an event and the winners and losers will only become clear over time.”

29 minutes ago, FTOF said:

For every story that you quote there is another showing it's not all gloom and doom........................

For Brandauer, a 160-year-old family-owned engineering company, the drop in the pound caused by Brexit has boosted overseas demand for their products. The Birmingham-based business expects to grow beyond its pre-pandemic size this year and is recruiting. “We have won business in France, Netherlands and Germany recently,” said Rowan Crozier, chief executive. “We have not lost a single EU customer.” Brandauer, which makes precision components which go into cars, razors, medical devices and the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, exports 75 per cent of its output.

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Too many people taking pleasure in the misfortunes Brexit has brought others.

No thought at all for the 40-odd % who did NOT vote for Brexit in Cornwall and Sunderland.

Those indulging in this have a right cheek talking about the Tories being cunts.

It's like I said, the world is crammed full of fake lefties who use morality only as a political weapon.

When I see a lying, racist, sociopath like yourself heading for the moral highground I realise it's time to give this thread a miss for a month or so... 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Oh.

OK... logic then dictates that I shouldt hank you for respecting my opinion. 

But you didn't.  So I react.  :)

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Aye.. I'd intended getting a couple of bunches on Monday at Waitrose(I'd seen some earlier in the Coop.

But I had to buy hyacinths (lovely but a bit more expensive)

Because... AHEM... there was also no 'f' in daffodils...   :)

Edited by antrin