The Politics Thread

shull

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

For every story that you quote there is another showing it's not all gloom and doom........................

For Brandauer, a 160-year-old family-owned engineering company, the drop in the pound caused by Brexit has boosted overseas demand for their products. The Birmingham-based business expects to grow beyond its pre-pandemic size this year and is recruiting. “We have won business in France, Netherlands and Germany recently,” said Rowan Crozier, chief executive. “We have not lost a single EU customer.” Brandauer, which makes precision components which go into cars, razors, medical devices and the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, exports 75 per cent of its output.

Only issue is if companies expand, etc there is the potential to run out of the required workforces, which only fairly recently has been addressed by being more proactive over apprenticeships in many trades. I certainly know when I started as a heavy plant fitter apprentice there was hardly a bit take up for any engineering trades or really any as everything was moving towards the computer age.

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Erm.....you don't though. You certainly don't have a right to an opinion unless you are talking about funeral, medical care or care home (if you have power of attorney) arrangements.

My kids are lovely and I would talk and listen to them about virtually anything but they have no right to voice their opinion on anything we do.

I strongly disagree Oaky, but that’s fine. We can disagree. I also think you’re taking my metaphor a little too literally. 

8 minutes ago, antrin said:

Aye.. I'd intended getting a couple of bunches on Monday at Waitrose(I'd seen some earlier in the Coop.

But I had to buy hyacinths (lovely but a bit more expensive)

Because... AHEM... there was also no 'f' in daffodils...   :)

I absolutely respect your opinion Antrin, I just don’t agree with it and attempted to explain why.

We both know that there is little point in us debating this topic anyway, as I am a dyed in the wool supporter of independence and you are a dyed in the wool unionist.

We have both lived away from Scotland for a very long time. I remain fiercely passionate about my home country. However, one thing drives my support for independence and it certainly isn’t some blind, shortbread tin patriotism. It’s purely and simply self determination. 
You on the other hand, with perhaps the occasional exception of waxing lyrical about Scotland’s natural beauty, seem to run down the place of your birth, whether that’s in a political sense, or a sporting sense. 
We are allowed to be different though. There’s many, many things I agree with you on in your contribution here. Politics just isn’t one of them. 

You certainly don't have a right to an opinion...

What a ridiculous thing to say. Everyone has the right to an opinion about everything. They might not have to right to have their opinion heard or valued, but they definitely have the right to have one.

That, of course, is my opinion and you have the right to have yours on this matter. Just as I have the right to disagree with and ridicule your opinion, and you mine - even if you are wrong. [emoji16]

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

For every story that you quote there is another showing it's not all gloom and doom........................

For Brandauer, a 160-year-old family-owned engineering company, the drop in the pound caused by Brexit has boosted overseas demand for their products. The Birmingham-based business expects to grow beyond its pre-pandemic size this year and is recruiting. “We have won business in France, Netherlands and Germany recently,” said Rowan Crozier, chief executive. “We have not lost a single EU customer.” Brandauer, which makes precision components which go into cars, razors, medical devices and the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, exports 75 per cent of its output.

I didn't say that it was "all gloom and doom". There will be plenty of people, like Rees Mogg, who have profited handsomely out of all this.

Before Brexit the people who have been badly affected didn't have these problems. Not one business should be disadvantaged by Brexit, to the extent that they have been. But here we are, with many businesses on the brink of collapse, despite UK Gov repeatedly promising a land of milk and honey. The cost to these people will be horrendous. The fact that over 50% of businesses are being affected negatively is shameful.

Half of UK exporters to EU are having Brexit difficulties, survey finds | International trade | The Guardian

The example that you quote is a fairly unique example and has a much larger infrastructure that a single person run gin company. Also, it's ironic that it has taken a drop in the value of good old Britannia's currency, to boost orders, given it was the incompetence of the government that caused the value of the pound to fall. You'll also see that Mr.Brandaneur isn't quite as cheerful as your article makes out.

British businesses on preparing for Brexit: 'It’s been a bit of a debacle' | Business | The Guardian

The  Scottish seafood export industry ,through no fault of their own, is in dire straits, with many firms on the brink of collapse. The repeated empty promises  of "it will get better" from the UK Govv isn't going to help any company who goes out of business over the time period that "it gets better".

There should have been support in place to help the most vulnerable businesses, when it became clear that there was going to be no period of grace. Instead, for the seafood industry, we get a hurried £23 million "sticking plaster" for an industry that has been losing an estimated £1 million a day. Anyway apparently, they shouldn't worry, because after all , "the fish better and happier because they are British". 

At least the sea food industry is getting some compensation (£100K max). The Gin dude I mentioned earlier and who is in the article below, is getting hee haw.

Businesses lose millions as export costs soar after Brexit - STV News

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Brexit is a process not an event and the winners and losers will only become clear over time.

Pre Brexit many companies were not doing too well, as usual it's all Johnsons fault.

Gie it a rest. 

I could dredge up many other success stories but can't be arsed, carry on if it makes you happy. 

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I didn't say that it was "all gloom and doom". There will be plenty of people, like Rees Mogg, who have profited handsomely out of all this.

Before Brexit the people who have been badly affected didn't have these problems. Not one business should be disadvantaged by Brexit, to the extent that they have been. But here we are, with many businesses on the brink of collapse, despite UK Gov repeatedly promising a land of milk and honey. The cost to these people will be horrendous. The fact that over 50% of businesses are being affected negatively is shameful.

Half of UK exporters to EU are having Brexit difficulties, survey finds | International trade | The Guardian

The example that you quote is a fairly unique example and has a much larger infrastructure that a single person run gin company. Also, it's ironic that it has taken a drop in the value of good old Britannia's currency, to boost orders, given it was the incompetence of the government that caused the value of the pound to fall. You'll also see that Mr.Brandaneur isn't quite as cheerful as your article makes out.

British businesses on preparing for Brexit: 'It’s been a bit of a debacle' | Business | The Guardian

The  Scottish seafood export industry ,through no fault of their own, is in dire straits, with many firms on the brink of collapse. The repeated empty promises  of "it will get better" from the UK Govv isn't going to help any company who goes out of business over the time period that "it gets better".

There should have been support in place to help the most vulnerable businesses, when it became clear that there was going to be no period of grace. Instead, for the seafood industry, we get a hurried £23 million "sticking plaster" for an industry that has been losing an estimated £1 million a day. Anyway apparently, they shouldn't worry, because after all , "the fish better and happier because they are British". 

At least the sea food industry is getting some compensation (£100K max). The Gin dude I mentioned earlier and who is in the article below, is getting hee haw.

Businesses lose millions as export costs soar after Brexit - STV News

Edited by faraway saint

On 2/5/2021 at 5:15 AM, oaksoft said:

I know I am probably wasting my time here and that there's a very good reason why your nickname is the Village Idiot but I'll try.

16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah that's probably true. 😃

I wish more people on this thread had the same view as your first two sentences.

You're not familiar with IRONY are you? :lol:

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I strongly disagree Oaky, but that’s fine. We can disagree. I also think you’re taking my metaphor a little too literally. 

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

What a ridiculous thing to say. Everyone has the right to an opinion about everything. They might not have to right to have their opinion heard or valued, but they definitely have the right to have one.

That, of course, is my opinion and you have the right to have yours on this matter. Just as I have the right to disagree with and ridicule your opinion, and you mine - even if you are wrong. emoji16.png

OK you two have made me realise my error.

What I meant to say was nobody has the right to voice an opinion or have it heard.

I'm blaming age and my excitement at getting my vaccination letter through the post today. :D

It's definitely not stupidity. Nope.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What I meant to say was nobody has the right to voice an opinion or have it heard.

I'm blaming age and my excitement at getting my vaccination letter through the post today. :D

I also don’t think I worded my original statement very well. What I meant to say that when you leave your mum and dad’s house you don’t stop caring about what happens to them. It just happens to follow that when you care about something, you usually have an opinion on it. 👍

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I also don’t think I worded my original statement very well. What I meant to say that when you leave your mum and dad’s house you don’t stop caring about what happens to them. It just happens to follow that when you care about something, you usually have an opinion on it. 👍

And after all that back and forth, it turns out I actually agree with you. :D

I'm blaming age and my excitement at getting my vaccination letter through the post today. [emoji3]
I also don’t think I worded my original statement very well. What I meant to say that when you leave your mum and dad’s house you don’t stop caring about what happens to them. It just happens to follow that when you care about something, you usually have an opinion on it. [emoji106]
Mine was worded perfectly. [emoji16]

People make mistakes.  I believe she has made three similar ones and has immediately apologised and corrected herself.  (Twitter)

I don't watch the BBC TV news so it doesn't impact upon me.

I give her credit for admitting errors. but have noticed a nationalist pile on, despite her honesty.

Not nice.  :(

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

People make mistakes.  I believe she has made three similar ones and has immediately apologised and corrected herself.  (Twitter)

I don't watch the BBC TV news so it doesn't impact upon me.

I give her credit for admitting errors. but have noticed a nationalist pile on, despite her honesty.

Not nice.  :(

Yes that right Antrin. She makes her “mistakes” on National prime time television news and then apologises on Twitter.

Nice. 

ETA- and how can that be described as a mistake. I once made a mistake when I was about 5 when I told my mother I hadn’t nicked one of the meter shillings off the mantelpiece and bought sweets. Oh no, wait a minute, that wasn’t as mistake, it was just a lie that I told to suit my own agenda. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yes that right Antrin. She makes her “mistakes” on National prime time television news and then apologises on Twitter.

Nice. 

ETA- and how can that be described as a mistake. I once made a mistake when I was about 5 when I told my mother I hadn’t nicked one of the meter shillings off the mantelpiece and bought sweets. Oh no, wait a minute, that wasn’t as mistake, it was just a lie that I told to suit my own agenda. 

Erm...

You posted a couple of Tweets.  I was merely mentioning the nasty pile on on twitter... and you thought it good to broaden the pile on in a fitba forum?

I doubt there could ever be sufficient apologies on sufficient branches of media to ever placate a rabid nationalist. 

ETA. how can you jump from childish learning experiences to a professional adult error?  Humans - even adults - make mistakes.

I don't recall ever stealing from my parents- so your righteous example baffles and saddens me.

Edited by antrin

10 hours ago, antrin said:

Erm...

You posted a couple of Tweets.  I was merely mentioning the nasty pile on on twitter... and you thought it good to broaden the pile on in a fitba forum?

I doubt there could ever be sufficient apologies on sufficient branches of media to ever placate a rabid nationalist. 

ETA. how can you jump from childish learning experiences to a professional adult error?  Humans - even adults - make mistakes.

I don't recall ever stealing from my parents- so your righteous example baffles and saddens me.

That my friend, is a really, really weak response. 

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That my friend, is a really, really weak response. 

Sorry.  You're right, I guess.

I suppose I ought to get more agitated by rabid nationalist outbursts of whataboutery and poor-me victimisation perpetrated on them by all branches of rUK meedjah, but I just don't want to squander my intellect, time and energy.  :)

25 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

But if they COULD travel here, they still wouldn't be allowed to pick the daffs.

That's a good point.

As I don't know the in's and out's I'd hope these issues are temporary and all business's will overcome these. problems.

PS It is worth mentioning that the "local" unemployed aren't willing to fill these vacancies. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Sorry.  You're right, I guess.

I suppose I ought to get more agitated by rabid nationalist outbursts of whataboutery and poor-me victimisation perpetrated on them by all branches of rUK meedjah, but I just don't want to squander my intellect, time and energy.  :)

Just to clear, because I’m not sure, are you calling ME a “rabid nationalist”?

58 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That's a good point.

As I don't know the in's and out's I'd hope these issues are temporary and all business's will overcome these. problems.

PS It is worth mentioning that the "local" unemployed aren't willing to fill these vacancies. 

Sadly that's the case for many jobs that the unemployed in the UK seem to consider as being too much like hard work or maybe they feel that it's beneath them and are only suitable for non-UK nationals.

It's a significant problem in care homes north of the central belt, where staff recruitment of suitable quality is almost impossible without nurses/carers from the likes of the Philippines. It's not the cheap option either as there are lot of costs associated with employing nurses/carers from the Philippines. 

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Sadly that's the case for many jobs that the unemployed in the UK seem to consider as being too much like hard work or maybe they feel that it's beneath them and are only suitable for non-UK nationals.

It's a significant problem in care homes north of the central belt, where staff recruitment of suitable quality is almost impossible without nurses/carers from the likes of the Philippines. It's not the cheap option either as there are lot of costs associated with employing nurses/carers from the Philippines. 

Agreed, there will be many jobs that fall into this category for the lazy who will find a reason NOT to get off their arses.

Up here the local farmers have similar issues, local labour are less than interested so it's become a necessity, their words, not mine, to utilise non UK labour.

There, as you say, additional costs, including accommodation, not exactly the Ritz but still a cost, and accommodating the time they "need" to return home to see family etc.

I've no doubt Brexit has made this more complicated but where there's a will there's a way. 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Agreed, there will be many jobs that fall into this category for the lazy who will find a reason NOT to get off their arses.

Up here the local farmers have similar issues, local labour are less than interested so it's become a necessity, their words, not mine, to utilise non UK labour.

There, as you say, additional costs, including accommodation, not exactly the Ritz but still a cost, and accommodating the time they "need" to return home to see family etc.

I've no doubt Brexit has made this more complicated but where there's a will there's a way. 

To think that people used to complain that EU rules hindered their business prospects......................................:rolleyes: