The Politics Thread

shull

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Riiiiight!

Oh and of course you think Salmond came across well. I bet you that any drop in support for Sturgeon came predominantly from male voters.

Aye usually wearing fitba colours of the 2 biggest clubs in the country

She has pissed off both

Myself she has shown weak leadership as she has let mob rule run the show

On 3/8/2021 at 6:04 PM, oaksoft said:

I hear that a lot.

What are you basing this conclusion on?

On 3/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, faraway saint said:

You for one. :lol:

The amount of posts you've made in the last year or so completely destroys your self proclaimed title of forum know it all.  :1eye

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

you

Keep up ya trumpet. :P

On 3/10/2021 at 6:27 PM, stlucifer said:

But most intelligent people are NOT following a party, let alone a leader. Anyone who wants Scotland to be an independent nation are supporting the ideal. That ideal doesn't change with the leader of the party if the core cause of the party doesn't change. The SNP are not changing their message.

If the polls were asking if people would vote for Sturgeon or for the merits of what the SNP have done in a union ruled Scottish assembly then those who voted for them because they thought the SNP would run the Scottish purse better, then may be swayed by this nonsense. I would imagine those are few and far between.

We'll see what effect the recent scuffle has in May. With the likes of Anus Sawar, Rennie and Davidson as alternatives, I firmly believe the SNP will wipe the floor with that lot.

ETA. I've just listened to Rennie and he's so afraid of the percentages in favour of Scottish Independence that he's asking believers of that cause to set it aside JUST NOW. Says it all.

Are you seriously telling us that Sturgeon and Salmond have made no difference to the where the SNP are in the polls, that its all down to a belief in the idea of independence. If Sturgeon is forced out you are in for a serious reality check

On 3/11/2021 at 7:00 AM, faraway saint said:

PS I should add I have considerable respect for wee Nicky, it's been a difficult time to be a politician and, overall, she's came across pretty well. 

Her recent grilling, almost 8 hours, would have seen many other senior politicians crumble.

Salmond, and I'm not a big fan, also came across, overall, as very assured. 

Yeah, Nic has done a great job.

Lied throughout the Salmond affair, leader of the country with the highest number of deaths per capita in Western Europe and wrecked the economy.

Fantastic. 

6 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Lied throughout the Salmond affair, leader of the country with the highest number of deaths per capita in Western Europe and wrecked the economy.

Fantastic. 

The economy is wrecked? Really?

There's been casualties, no doubt, but there's been many success stories of business's who have flourished.

My company have flourished, changed slightly to meet the needs of the current situation and have had the rewards.

If you'd read more posts, I know when you're blootered reading isn't your strong point, I have said there's been a disproportionate response against many sectors and their continues to be so. 

This has been a "no win" situation for governments, no one seen this coming and certainly not for a whole year.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

The economy is wrecked? Really?

There's been casualties, no doubt, but there's been many success stories of business's who have flourished.

My company have flourished, changed slightly to meet the needs of the current situation and have had the rewards.

If you'd read more posts, I know when you're blootered reading isn't your strong point, I have said there's been a disproportionate response against many sectors and their continues to be so. 

This has been a "no win" situation for governments, no one seen this coming and certainly not for a whole year.

I’ve certainly benefited from the lockdown.

But many have been thrown under a bus - by the white middle class lockdown left 

I've noticed Ruth Davidson claiming the SNP have passed their "high water mark" in interviews recently - I can't help feeling the upcoming Holyrood elections will be a watershed moment after recent events, a convincing win up for us Nats and it's just gonna be a question of when we get a second referendum but a poor showing will set the cause back a decade and who knows what the world will be like in the 30s?

Nobody comes out of the Salmond shitstorm well but I wonder if in a couple of years from now he'll wonder if playing for approval from the Express/Mail audience for a fortnight will have been worth it?

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
9 hours ago, Sue Denim said:
Fantastic. 

Can you provide the figures for your claim regarding the deaths per capita.

I feel the ONS figures (from yesterday) comprehensively disprove it.

AreaSorted column (descending) - Apply ascending sort. DeathsUnsorted column - Apply ascending sort. Rate per 100,000 populationUnsorted column - Apply ascending sort.
Wales 5,436 172.4
Scotland 7,500 137.3
Northern Ireland 2,097 110.7
England 110,310 196
Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I feel the ONS figures (from yesterday) comprehensively disprove it.

AreaSorted column (descending) - Apply ascending sort. DeathsUnsorted column - Apply ascending sort. Rate per 100,000 populationUnsorted column - Apply ascending sort.
Wales 5,436 172.4
Scotland 7,500 137.3
Northern Ireland 2,097 110.7
England 110,310 196

I'm not sure your table proves anything.

It doesn't seem to be have been hand-embroidered (using organic pheasant quills on quilted papyrus - which bears a burnished bronze edging) in a gender-neutral commune... by the white middle class lockdown left. 

Herr Denim will fail to be convinced.

Edited by antrin

3 minutes ago, antrin said:

Interesting figures and I must say I'm kinda shocked that (per 100,000) Scotland could be so much worse off than NI and Engerland!

But I'm not sure your table proves anything.

It doesn't seem to be have been hand-embroidered (using organic pheasant quills on quilted papyrus - which bears a burnished bronze edging) in a gender-neutral commune... by the white middle class lockdown left. 

Am I reading it right ? Surely England have the worst rate ? N.I. Almost half of theirs ? 

6 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Am I reading it right ? Surely England have the worst rate ? N.I. Almost half of theirs ? 

You are.  :o

I wasn't.  (fixed it!  Ta.)

Just assumed it read 96 not 196 and it was sorted ... didnae read the bluidy wurdz...  :rolleyes:

My original point stands.  They don't look like white middle class lockdown left data. 

Edited by antrin

2 minutes ago, antrin said:

Interesting figures and I must say I'm kinda shocked that (per 100,000) Scotland could be so much worse off than NI and Engerland!

But I'm not sure your table proves anything.

The comparative figures per capita for Scotland (137.3) is much lower than Engerlund's (196) despite them being similar for the first wave of the pandemic IIRC.

If I were to hazard a guess I'd say the lesser restrictions in Engerlund since Lockdown1 ended especially the "not even in hindsight" decision by BJ to put London into Tier 2 with the new Kent variant just about to take off cost thousands of lives.

How long will we tolerate this? More pertinently, how much longer will England?

"This week’s Panorama gave us the extraordinary tale of a dog food supplier turned PPE broker bagging herself millions acting as a ‘bridge’ for a Hong Kong supplier. Details of the largest contract - worth £178m - came to light only after the BBC’s probing prompted the Government to publish. 

"It sought to explain its failure as an “admin error.” But even if true - which we doubt - this doesn’t justify a further breach of the law on transparency. Despite the High Court ruling in our favour last month that Matt Hancock had broken the law in failing to publish pandemic contracts, the failures continue. Meanwhile, Boris Johnson and his Minister mislead Parliament about the scale of the breaches. And refuse to come clean about the beneficiaries of its ‘VIP’ lane. 

"In his judgment, Judge Chamberlain said “The Secretary of State spent vast quantities of public money on pandemic-related procurements during 2020. The public were entitled to see who this money was going to, what it was being spent on and how the relevant contracts were awarded.” We agree. And so we have written to Matt Hancock launching new legal proceedings for his continuing failures to comply with the law. 

"Our grounds focus on two key issues:

First, the Secretary of State’s failure to comply with his obligations to publish Contracts Finder notices (CFNs) within the requisite 90 days. In relation to contracts entered into on or before 7 October 2020, he had failed to do so in well over 50% of cases.

Second, the Secretary of State’s decision to obscure the key provisions in contracts. Many contracts are being published in heavily redacted form - one example from December shows the quantity, unit price, size and colour of gowns being redacted; another contract entered into almost a year ago but published only this month is so heavily redacted that no information whatsoever is visible regarding what was even purchased. Publication in this form isn’t transparency; it is advertising the lack of it.

"“One unfortunate consequence of non-compliance with the transparency obligations…is that people can start to harbour suspicions of improper conduct...” said Judge Chamberlain in last month’s judgment. 

"We agree. If they have nothing to hide why won’t they publish?

Jolyon Maugham 
Director of Good Law Project"

2 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

How long will we tolerate this? More pertinently, how much longer will England?

Honestly? I don't think people care right now.  They have more immediate things to worry about including their jobs, their businesses, their families and the easing of lockdown and a return to normality.

Realistically, I'm not sure what CAN be done about this. If corruption has taken place on that scale, what can be done about it other than wait 4 years for the next election?

Honestly? I don't think people care right now.  They have more immediate things to worry about including their jobs, their businesses, their families and the easing of lockdown and a return to normality.
Realistically, I'm not sure what CAN be done about this. If corruption has taken place on that scale, what can be done about it other than wait 4 years for the next election?

I think lots of people in Scotland do care about and there's always Indyref2 in September...

[emoji846]

The guy I'm quoting is actually trying to do something about it before then, more power to his elbow.

3 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

I think lots of people in Scotland do care about and there's always Indyref2 in September...

emoji846.png

The guy I'm quoting is actually trying to do something about it before then, more power to his elbow.

You might be right but what are you basing that on? If people in Scotland really are that bothered about this we should see a decisive move towards a Yes in polling but I see the polls barely moving at all. I've said this before but it really does beggar the question about what it will take for a decisive move to Yes to happen. We've had 7 years of crap from Westminster but we're still at 50-50 in the Indyref2 polls.

I would support any move to hold these people to account but I just don't know what the limits are regarding what can be achieved outside a general election.

Edited by oaksoft