The Politics Thread

shull

You might be right but what are you basing that on? If people in Scotland really are that bothered about this we should see a decisive move towards a Yes in polling but I see the polls barely moving at all. I've said this before but it really does beggar the question about what it will take for a decisive move to Yes to happen. We've had 7 years of crap from Westminster but we're still at 50-50 in the Indyref2 polls.
I would support any move to hold these people to account but I just don't know what the limits are regarding what can be achieved outside a general election.
The current 50-50 is a move from 45-55 in the 7 years, though. I think it will only get bigger over the coming months (ever the optimist, me).

[emoji846]

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

The current 50-50 is a move from 45-55 in the 7 years, though. I think it will only get bigger over the coming months (ever the optimist, me).

emoji846.png

It's down from what it was in the second half of last year, which must be due to the Salmondgate - my take on the matter is that when allegations were raised NS & her advisors decided the least damaging outcome would be for Salmond to be convicted and disowned so they decided to tilt the playing field which has left senior figures close to NS (if not the FM herself) compromised. Whilst her opponents have not been able to land a knockout blow on Sturgeon there is certainly something fishy :spud2 about her version of events.

Depressing really as anything less than an outright majority for the SNP and we can kiss IndyRef2 goodbye for 5 years.

I'm in two minds about Salmond, he's certainly emerged from it all as a bit of a sleazeball and I can see why he would want to vindicate himself as much as possible but is that really what he is achieving and all to be the darling of the Express/Mail crowd for a month coz make no mistake by summer they'll be back to hating him.

13 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's down from what it was in the second half of last year, which must be due to the Salmondgate - my take on the matter is that when allegations were raised NS & her advisors decided the least damaging outcome would be for Salmond to be convicted and disowned so they decided to tilt the playing field which has left senior figures close to NS (if not the FM herself) compromised. Whilst her opponents have not been able to land a knockout blow on Sturgeon there is certainly something fishy :spud2 about her version of events.

Depressing really as anything less than an outright majority for the SNP and we can kiss IndyRef2 goodbye for 5 years.

I'm in two minds about Salmond, he's certainly emerged from it all as a bit of a sleazeball and I can see why he would want to vindicate himself as much as possible but is that really what he is achieving and all to be the darling of the Express/Mail crowd for a month coz make no mistake by summer they'll be back to hating him.

He should lie low

were further evidence to come out he could find himself back in the box 

Unless his plan is to show further potential complainants, if there are any, how hard a ride (pardon the pun) they are liable to get

21 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The current issues coming out about the Scottish parliament surely blowing away that Holyrood is some sort of Disneyland? 

No real surprise, only a lesser/smaller cesspit than Westminster. 

Pretty much sums up why I don't get excited/upset by any government decisions. 

Nicola Sturgeon has been found to have misled the Scottish Parliament around the Alex Salmond affair, Holyrood’s harassment complaints committee has found.

Specifically, it is reported that Ms Sturgeon did offer to intervene in the harassment complaints process, something she repeated denied in both her written and oral evidence.

The Scottish Government’s ministerial code states that a minister who “knowingly” misleads the Scottish Parliament is expected to offer their resignation.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Nicola Sturgeon has been found to have misled the Scottish Parliament around the Alex Salmond affair, Holyrood’s harassment complaints committee has found.

Specifically, it is reported that Ms Sturgeon did offer to intervene in the harassment complaints process, something she repeated denied in both her written and oral evidence.

The Scottish Government’s ministerial code states that a minister who “knowingly” misleads the Scottish Parliament is expected to offer their resignation.

Get your facts right you plonker, The Committee unionist's said she misled Parliament they also told you that 2 weeks ago before she gave her evidence, :lol: 

Take your head out your arse Faraway we get enough propaganda from the BBC without you posting a load of shite 

Anyone with half a brain knows what's happening here,  Nicola's going nowhere,  But Scotland is

Edited by portmahomack saint

6 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Get your facts right you plonker, The Committee unionist's said she misled Parliament they also told you that 2 weeks ago before she gave her evidence, :lol: 

Take your head out your arse Faraway we get enough propaganda from the BBC without you posting a load of shite 

Anyone with half a brain knows what's happening here,  Nicola's going nowhere,  But Scotland is

A load of shite is it? 

What, exactly, is a load of shite?

Maybe do a wee bit of research before you get all "FREEDOM" :lol:

Brilliant how, when anything goes against some people, they dismiss the evidence as propaganda. 

Where is Scotland going, foreign travel is still banned? :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

A load of shite is it? 

What, exactly, is a load of shite?

Maybe do a wee bit of research before you get all "FREEDOM" :lol:

Brilliant how, when anything goes against some people, they dismiss the evidence as propaganda. 

Where is Scotland going, foreign travel is still banned? :lol:

If the BBC and right wing media were more even handed regarding Johnston,Patel and Hancock i wouldn't regard it as shite

Got to laugh none of this would have came about if Salmon kept his hands to himself but Sturgeon is to take the Derry for it

2 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

If the BBC and right wing media were more even handed regarding Johnston,Patel and Hancock i wouldn't regard it as shite

Got to laugh none of this would have came about if Salmon kept his hands to himself but Sturgeon is to take the Derry for it

It's on EVERY media source?  :lol:

More deflection, it's a common trait.

FWIW I, overall, like wee Nicky, and certainly don't think this is a resignation matter but that's only my personal view.

What will be will be. 

38 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's on EVERY media source?  :lol:

More deflection, it's a common trait.

FWIW I, overall, like wee Nicky, and certainly don't think this is a resignation matter but that's only my personal view.

What will be will be. 

As i said

Right wing

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas

On 3/18/2021 at 8:07 PM, faraway saint said:

Like I said Sturgeon's story is a bit fishy but I reckon the committee's decision/leak is so clearly political as to be irrelevant, the issue however will be undoubtedly in people's minds in the run-up to the May elections.

From a tactical POV I hope the opposition parties do hammer the issue during the election campaign it as I feel it has the potential to backfire on them if they are seen as going OTT over the matter.

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Like I said Sturgeon's story is a bit fishy but I reckon the committee's decision/leak is so clearly political as to be irrelevant, the issue however will be undoubtedly in people's minds in the run-up to the May elections.

From a tactical POV I hope the opposition parties do hammer the issue during the election campaign it as I feel it has the potential to backfire on them if they are seen as going OTT over the matter.

Indeed.

How much this will change things remains to be seen, but I did raise this point a wee while ago but it was shot down as, seemingly, people don't care about who the leader is and what they have, seemingly, been up to. :rolleyes:

Just catching up on the news after 4 days at work and am amazed at the Naga Munchetty/Union Jack furore - not her biggest fan but this time I'm on her side. 

Prob'ly shouldn't be amazed though as it been clear for the last few years that "the Left" are losing the Culture Wars and that society is going back to the Victorian Era double quick style.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Victorian era? Ridiculous. :lol:

One Conservative MP said "Love the flag or leave the country" a clear racist attack on Munchetty conveniently overlooking the fact that it was her white, male co-presenter Charlie Stayt who initiated the joke, there's a Culture War going on whether you choose to believe it or not. Nuance is clearly lost on you, but what era do you think Andrew Neil and his soon to be launched Alt-Right news channel (GB News) want to push us back to?

It's a constant struggle over many issues, economic & social, but I was cheered up by the victory for the little people over Uber the other day...

22 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

One Conservative MP said "Love the flag or leave the country" a clear racist attack on Munchetty conveniently overlooking the fact that it was her white, male co-presenter Charlie Stayt who initiated the joke, there's a Culture War going on whether you choose to believe it or not. Nuance is clearly lost on you, but what era do you think Andrew Neil and his soon to be launched Alt-Right news channel (GB News) want to push us back to?

It's a constant struggle over many issues, economic & social, but I was cheered up by the victory for the little people over Uber the other day...

I couldn't give a shit what Andrew Neil or anyone else wants. We don't live in anything like Victorian Era conditions. Period. Claiming that we do is the furthest thing from a "nuanced" argument that I've read on here for a while and overblown overly emotional nonsense which should be rightly placed in the bin.

The Uber victory was a very good case in point. Those drivers won a case which guaranteed them a minimum wage (it should have been the living wage but a victory is a victory). Which part of that is Victorian Era?

Nobody is denying that some people have great difficulties in their lives but what you are suggesting is just laughable nonsense.

Which part of a national minimum wage in general is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

Which part of having a health care system free at the point of need is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

Which part of the greater equality for minority groups, homosexuals and women is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

Which part of our obesity crisis is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

Which part of millions of us (pandemic allowing) taking multiple holidays abroad is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

If you're going to successfully argue a point, you might want to be a bit less emotional when you post. I'd suggest that you need to stop obsessing over the "news" and Twitter and get out into the fresh air. All this negativity that you are drinking in, like a jakey downing a bottle of Buckie, can't be good for your mental health.

Edited by oaksoft

Just pointing out you'd conveniently forgotten the racist aspect to the story but that's the oaksoft I've come to know and love...:wub:

Apart from that I can't see anything relevant, just deflection - and a lot of it for someone who "couldn't give a shit". :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I couldn't give a shit what Andrew Neil or anyone else wants. We don't live in anything like Victorian Era conditions. Period. Claiming that we do is the furthest thing from a "nuanced" argument that I've read on here for a while and overblown overly emotional nonsense which should be rightly placed in the bin.

The Uber victory was a very good case in point. Those drivers won a case which guaranteed them a minimum wage (it should have been the living wage but a victory is a victory). Which part of that is Victorian Era?

Nobody is denying that some people have great difficulties in their lives but what you are suggesting is just laughable nonsense.

Which part of a national minimum wage in general is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

Which part of having a health care system free at the point of need is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

Which part of the greater equality for minority groups, homosexuals and women is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

Which part of our obesity crisis is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

Which part of millions of us (pandemic allowing) taking multiple holidays abroad is reminiscent of the Victorian Era?

If you're going to successfully argue a point, you might want to be a bit less emotional when you post.

27 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Just pointing out you'd conveniently forgotten the racist aspect to the story but that's the oaksoft I've come to know and love...:wub:

Apart from that I can't see anything relevant, just deflection - and a lot of it for someone who "couldn't give a shit". :rolleyes:

Yep. Run out of arguments and play the man rather than the ball.

That's the Bud the Baker I've come to know. 

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yet you’ve cheered on the middle class lockdown at the expense off-the working class from day 1

Its clear whose side you are really on 😉

30 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Yet you’ve cheered on the middle class lockdown at the expense off-the working class from day 1

Its clear whose side you are really on 😉

Ain't nobody more middle class than you Cap'n - what's it like to hate yourself? 😉

....and be continuously wrong for 12 months? 😉

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Playing the man again eh?

Do you know any other way of having a discussion?

Playing the man again - absolute jibberish, from the self declared "Smartest man on the Forum" very disappointing. :1eye

Nice to see you & Sue forming a tag-team, I'm struggling to thing of a more suitable pairing --neither of you have mustered a relevant argument today! :lol: