The Politics Thread

shull

9 hours ago, bazil85 said:

It's such an emotive subject for many and I think half the battle (for me anyway) is removing that emotion, we could talk on the subject for pages but for now I will give you a really important point for me on the size of Scotland globally, in the EU/ UK/ anything else.

I often think people look at an independent Scotland and think it would be much weaker as a world power than the UK & that's a bad thing. For me it's not at all, Scotland doesn't need to emulate the world force the UK is (was to an extent, for me there is a slight sense of hanging onto an ever shrinking relevance in a changing world). We don't need a chair at the top table, a big army and a big say on global politics and issues IMO. What we should be aiming for is a small, green, progressive, innovative and inclusive nation. Oaks mentioned the Scandinavian countries and that's exactly it for me. 

If in 20-40 years time Scotland were a largely energy self-sufficient nation with a comparable quality of life to a Norway of a Sweden (pandemic excluded) I would be delighted at what we were leaving future generations. I don't need Scotland to have a major say in EU policy or to be a leading force in global stability or security, it's just not practical for a nation our size and dare I say it, the UK going forward either. What I do need from Scotland is trailblazing in environmental stability, a return to what we once were in education, innovation and progressive thinking as well as a nation with inclusive governance and an ever improving quality of life for it's people. 

I personally think that's probably only possible as an independent nation but is a long way off and will require the right governments and options going forward. I am largely undecided on the overarching question of independence because of the governance as previously mentioned but I don't think all of this could not become a reality in a generation or two as an independent nation, I think it would be far harder remaining in the UK under pretty much two party politics that right now, I can't put a fag paper between. 

Be interesting seeing the Scottish public paying Scandinavian taxes.  Bet that won't be in SNP manifesto.

Also our culture is vastly different from Scandinavia. The comparison with Scandinavia is a bit of stretch for me. 

19 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

No I can’t. None of it is “free stuff”.

It’s all being paid for one way or another. 

Do you actually believe Joe Public will see it as that? :lol:

"Thanks for my nice new laptop and free broadband....................................pay for it? Aye, I'm on benefits, good luck with that". 

Jeezo, what world do you live in? 

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Do you actually believe Joe Public will see it as that? :lol:

"Thanks for my nice new laptop and free broadband....................................pay for it? Aye, I'm on benefits, good luck with that". 

Jeezo, what world do you live in? 

Ah right, so it’s not that you think it’s a bribe, it’s that you think Scottish people are idiots and scroungers. That’ll be why you don’t want independence. Makes sense. 

I myself have a slightly higher opinion of the Scottish electorate. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

I take it that you have misrepresented what the digital strategy are trying to achieve where there seems to be nothing to back up your claims that they are aiming to provide free computers AND free broadband.
Thanks for playing. :wink:
As I said, a bribe by the SNP, shocking IMO. 
I haven't misrepresented anything. I know it's mentioned as I had to collate information from it, among other sources, for a work presentation I had to do a couple of months ago. The computer part was only barely mentioned but the broadband was quite a large(ish) part.

Whether you believe me or not is neither here, nor there.

49 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ah right, so it’s not that you think it’s a bribe, it’s that you think Scottish people are idiots and scroungers. That’ll be why you don’t want independence. Makes sense. 

I myself have a slightly higher opinion of the Scottish electorate. 

Nice attempt to change the rhetoric, massive fail. :byebye

48 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Nice attempt to change the rhetoric, massive fail. :byebye

I’m not changing anything, what I said is inextricably linked to what you said.

Is it really too much to say, ok it’s not a bribe, it’s standard political fare in the lead up to an election.

you do know it’s ok to be wrong sometimes don’t you?

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I've got it on good authority you will have your wish.........................wee Nicky is splashing the cash in a desperate attempt to bribe as many people as possible.

Hang in there. :thumbs2

Queen Nicola doesn't need to bribe anyone, what she needs is a big wooden mallet to batter you over the head with.  that'll get you on board 

thor GIF

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m not changing anything, what I said is inextricably linked to what you said.

Is it really too much to say, ok it’s not a bribe, it’s standard political fare in the lead up to an election.

you do know it’s ok to be wrong sometimes don’t you?

Don't you have "idiots and scroungers" in Jersey?

We have lots in Scotland, especially scroungers, you just need to pop down to the local Jobcentre, it's like a club.

Generations of families enjoy the fortnightly day out, meeting up with like minded friends and laughing at mugs who get up every day and go to work.

They'll now be laughing at getting super dooper high speed broadband for free. 

Maybe Jersey is like idyllic, enjoy and leave us in the real world to deal with things that affect us. 

Wrong, what's wrong about saying people being given free laptops and broadband is a bribe? 

Edited by faraway saint

We have lots in Scotland, especially scroungers, you just need to pop down to the local Jobcentre, it's like a club.
Generations of families enjoy the fortnightly day out, meeting up with like minded friends and laughing at mugs who get up every day and go to work.
Maybe Jersey is like idyllic, enjoy and leave us in the real world to deal with things that affect us. 
Wrong, what's wrong about saying people being given free laptops and broadband is a bribe? 
Is it a "bribe"? - I don't think so but each to their own, if that's your thinking it's your thinking. Is it timed to tie in with the upcoming election? Very probably, it has been policy for a while but politicians are politicians no matter their party.

One thing it certainly is, though, is a much better use of public money - yours and mine - with a much better aim than the spending exhibited by WM during the pandemic.

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

Is it a "bribe"? - I don't think so but each to their own, if that's your thinking it's your thinking. Is it timed to tie in with the upcoming election? Very probably, it has been policy for a while but politicians are politicians no matter their party.

One thing it certainly is, though, is a much better use of public money - yours and mine - with a much better aim than the spending exhibited by WM during the pandemic.

You mean like weapons of mass destruction..  well if you put it that way 🤔 I'd rather they bribe school children who don't have a vote... than threaten the world with...  Fuk with us we'll blow you to smithereens 

13 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Be interesting seeing the Scottish public paying Scandinavian taxes.  Bet that won't be in SNP manifesto.

Also our culture is vastly different from Scandinavia. The comparison with Scandinavia is a bit of stretch for me. 

Yeah it's a fair bit away and I think looking at the taxes in isolation is certainly an issue but it's also potentially an ignorant way for people to conclude on the Scandinavian nations. 

41 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

You mean like weapons of mass destruction..  well if you put it that way 🤔 I'd rather they bribe school children who don't have a vote... than threaten the world with...  Fuk with us we'll blow you to smithereens 

Hmmm , let me think 😐  Would I prefer the children of Scotland to receive the “bribe” of a laptop or Tablet .... or would I prefer them to have a share in a lovely cuddly extra Nuclear Warhead .   Or could I chose option 3 .... a share of a mythical bridge across the Irish Sea. 
Some bribes are better than others .

You mean like weapons of mass destruction..  well if you put it that way [emoji848] I'd rather they bribe school children who don't have a vote... than threaten the world with...  Fuk with us we'll blow you to smithereens 

Tbh I was thinking of the way they've been lining each others' pockets but now you come to mention it...

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Ok I’ll confess you made me chuckle with this response. 😄

Although be careful, with patter like that you can’t complain if people call you a Tory!

Think Salmondbuddie summed it up. If you think it’s a bribe you’re entitled to do so.

I’ll choose to think it isn’t. I was also going to make the point that others have that I’m not sure how you can bribe someone who doesn’t have a vote. And as for children of the people who potentially are scroungers or layabouts (I suspect the numbers are far less than you indicate - would you think they are in numbers worth bribing in the context of a national vote?), wouldn’t you prefer they were given the best chance of not turning out like their parents?

Oh......and scroungers in Jersey?? The very thought...

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

For a minute there I thought you were talking about the Royal family, oh controversial. 

84C505DE-D69A-4C6D-A037-9904CE23122B.jpeg

The well worn trope that jobseekers are living the life of Reilly just doesn’t add up? £74 a week. There are probably folk on here that spend that on a day out to watch the saints. I certainly can’t imagine running a household on it. 
if we as a people are really serious about inequality then the next step is a basic universal salary to everyone. The problem with poverty has been around since the Victorian era and has such a huge unseen cost that it’s actually economically viable to deal with it now. 

feel free to comment....

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Maggie Thatcher is alive and well and living in Arbroath 

29 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The well worn trope that jobseekers are living the life of Reilly just doesn’t add up? £74 a week. There are probably folk on here that spend that on a day out to watch the saints. I certainly can’t imagine running a household on it. 
if we as a people are really serious about inequality then the next step is a basic universal salary to everyone. The problem with poverty has been around since the Victorian era and has such a huge unseen cost that it’s actually economically viable to deal with it now. 

feel free to comment....

Add in free rent, allowances for this that and the other, it's a pretty penny more than £74 for the professional layabouts.

Nice to see so many are protective of the scourge of society. 

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Yeah it's a fair bit away and I think looking at the taxes in isolation is certainly an issue but it's also potentially an ignorant way for people to conclude on the Scandinavian nations. 

I'd also add that at some point people need to ask what kind of lifestyle they want.

We have low taxes here but look at the state of our country. Crushing  levels of poor housing, poverty everywhere, a benefits system which leaves people in desperate trouble and a distinct lack of ambition everywhere. Is that worth saving a bit of tax money on? Personally, I don't think so.