The Politics Thread

shull

6 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

Is it a "bribe"? - I don't think so but each to their own, if that's your thinking it's your thinking. Is it timed to tie in with the upcoming election? Very probably, it has been policy for a while but politicians are politicians no matter their party.

One thing it certainly is, though, is a much better use of public money - yours and mine - with a much better aim than the spending exhibited by WM during the pandemic.

Agreed.

Ensuring all kids have access to computers and the internet is one of the first steps in ending the scourge of child poverty and inequality.

I'd have thought that it's the sort of initiative that every single person in the country could get behind.

I'm pretty sure the other parties are supporting this as well.

It makes you wonder what kind of person could possibly find something in this to sneer about. Imagine being the kind of person who is so messed up by the idea of a handful of "scroungers laughing at them" that they'd gleefully screw over the futures of our nation's kids to prevent that. We saw the same thing with the free meals for kids initiative. That is a pretty f**ked up mindset right there IMO.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The well worn trope that jobseekers are living the life of Reilly just doesn’t add up? £74 a week.

Is it just £74 per week though?

Is housing not added to that?

And if you are talking about a household then presumably there are child benefits added to that.

If neither parent is working, are they both not entitled to claim as well?

I don't know about any of this hence the question.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And if you are talking about a household then presumably there are child benefits added to that.

I don’t know either

What I do know is not everyone who signs on is a scrounger

38 minutes ago, HSS said:

I don’t know either

What I do know is not everyone who signs on is a scrounger

Oh I wouldn't disagree with that and would never make that claim.

There are scroungers out there and they will always exist but you can't be screwing over the vast majority of other people to get at this pretty small group though.

IMO you probably will never get rid of them but that is a price worth paying if you can end poverty.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Agreed.

Ensuring all kids have access to computers and the internet is one of the first steps in ending the scourge of child poverty and inequality.

I'd have thought that it's the sort of initiative that every single person in the country could get behind.

I'm pretty sure the other parties are supporting this as well.

It makes you wonder what kind of person could possibly find something in this to sneer about. Imagine being the kind of person who is so messed up by the idea of a handful of "scroungers laughing at them" that they'd gleefully screw over the futures of our nation's kids to prevent that. We saw the same thing with the free meals for kids initiative. That is a pretty f**ked up mindset right there IMO.

The king of irony, who is known for a few things, one of them is people living off the state and not taking responsibility for their own life.

Never mind, keep it up, you do make me laugh, at you. 😂

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Single claimant aged under 25: £342.72 per month. Single claimant aged 25 or over: £409.89 per month. Joint claimants both aged under 25: £488.59 per month. Joint claimants either aged 25 or over: £594.04 per month.

universal credit payments above Oaky. You can apply for housing benefit also. If you have children you can apply for child benefit and child tax credits (nursery fees etc) however you will be expected to be looking for work while receiving UC and will have to prove this to the DWP. It’s is enough to take you out of absolute poverty but not relative poverty (ie we live in the 7th richest country in the world) 

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Add in free rent, allowances for this that and the other, it's a pretty penny more than £74 for the professional layabouts.

Nice to see so many are protective of the scourge of society

There but for the grace of god......

4 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Single claimant aged under 25: £342.72 per month. Single claimant aged 25 or over: £409.89 per month. Joint claimants both aged under 25: £488.59 per month. Joint claimants either aged 25 or over: £594.04 per month.

universal credit payments above Oaky. You can apply for housing benefit also. If you have children you can apply for child benefit and child tax credits (nursery fees etc) however you will be expected to be looking for work while receiving UC and will have to prove this to the DWP. It’s is enough to take you out of absolute poverty but not relative poverty (ie we live in the 7th richest country in the world) 

Thanks. I agree that it's not a lot of money to live off but you've got to include all payments (including housing and child elements) when talking about how much money you get on UC. Any idea how much you can get for housing? Will it cover all rent or just part of it?

I'm not sure how they can justify under 25s getting less money. Their bills are not exactly smaller.

I'm less concerned about relative poverty than absolute poverty but I do take your point that it's still not a great life. It's certainly not enough for anyone to be describing people in this situation as "laughing at the rest of us". That's a pretty spiteful, nasty attitude TBH.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Thanks. I agree that it's not a lot of money to live off but you've got to include all payments (including housing and child elements) when talking about how much money you get on UC. Any idea how much you can get for housing? Will it cover all rent or just part of it?

I'm not sure how they can justify under 25s getting less money. Their bills are not exactly smaller.

I'm less concerned about relative poverty than absolute poverty but I do take your point that it's still not a great life. It's certainly not enough for anyone to be describing people in this situation as "laughing at the rest of us". That's a pretty spiteful, nasty attitude TBH.

It's well documented you have no social skill or experience of unemployed people so I'll stick to my view about a certain element, not all all @HSS nicely tried to imply, that do love the life on easy street and despite the seemingly "not a lot of money" have plenty of trappings of a decent lifestyle, big TV's, mobile phones and bevvy.

I'm glad I'm helping fund their lifestyle, who says I don't care? :lol:

On 3/31/2021 at 4:34 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

Do you know what "proof" is required? 

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:
3 hours ago, faraway saint said:
Do you know what "proof" is required? 

The applicant must supply a list of employers and details of the jobs they have applied for. It was mostly done on line where you can just copy and paste it onto the relevant form.

Let's just leave it at that, no real point in taking this any further. 

Edited by faraway saint

10 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Lol, you don't like objective truth, do you.............................................................................................

The truth is my friend when Scotland is independent it can make it's own choices not what he and his brexit cronies want,  

Do you really think that arsehole has Scotland's interest at heart :lol:

You must have been dropped on your head as a child :lol:

Edited by portmahomack saint

1 minute ago, portmahomack saint said:

The truth is my friend when Scotland is independent it can make it's own choices not what he and his brexit cronies want,  

Do you really think that arsehole has Scotland's interest at heart :lol:

Scotland already makes plenty of it's own choices and it's still not any better than any other part of the UK.

Don't let that get in the way of your simple narrow minded outlook. :lol:

#blameBorisforeverything :1eye

Scotland already makes plenty of it's own choices and it's still not any better than any other part of the UK.
Don't let that get in the way of your simple narrow minded outlook. [emoji38]
#blameBorisforeverything :1eye
Boris isn't to blame for everything, a lot of it is your fault. [emoji16]