The Politics Thread

shull

I'm really surprised :rolleyes: no one had reported this startling admission?

The SNP responsible for the death of people, my oh my.

SNP Health Secretary Jeane Freeman has been slammed by opponents after admitting her biggest error during the covid pandemic was to move older people from hospital into care homes without proper precautions

Nicola Sturgeon’s Cabinet Secretary for Health made the startling admission in an interview with the BBC’s Nick Robinson.

In a clip released before an upcoming interview Freeman said: “We didn’t take the right precautions to make sure that older people leaving hospital going into care homes were as safe as they could be and that was a mistake.”

Care homes were at the forefront of the battle against coronavirus with some residences reporting dozens of deaths in the early stages of the pandemic when 900 elderly people were transferred untested from hospitals to residential settings.

It's not really news as NS has already admitted as much unlike BJ who still insists no mistakes were made and any criticism is based solely  on hindsight...

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

SNP Health Secretary Jeane Freeman has been slammed by opponents after admitting her biggest error during the covid pandemic was to move older people from hospital into care homes without proper precautions

Nicola Sturgeon’s Cabinet Secretary for Health made the startling admission in an interview with the BBC’s Nick Robinson.

In a clip released before an upcoming interview Freeman said: “We didn’t take the right precautions to make sure that older people leaving hospital going into care homes were as safe as they could be and that was a mistake.”

Care homes were at the forefront of the battle against coronavirus with some residences reporting dozens of deaths in the early stages of the pandemic when 900 elderly people were transferred untested from hospitals to residential settings.

Edited by Bud the Baker

So it seems BJs claim of Capitalism/Greed riding onto the scene like the 7th Cavalry to save the world from Covid were untrue and that 97% of the funding for the Astro/Zeneca vaccine was publicly sourced - ah the benefits of accounting, or ahem, hindsight. Perhaps Boris was correct to say "Fuck Business" after all. :rolleyes:

At least 97% of the funding for the development of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine has been identified as coming from taxpayers or charitable trusts, according to the first attempt to reconstruct who paid for the decades of research that led to the lifesaving formulation.

“We need to stop perpetuating the narrative in which the private sector and profit are the sole drivers of innovation, and recognise that the life-saving ChAdOx vaccine technology was developed with near total governmental and charitable funding,” the researchers said.

“Our study shows that quite the opposite is true: public investment and international collaboration gave us the Covid-19 vaccines,” the team of researchers, from the advocacy group Universities Allied for Essential Medicines UK, said in a statement.

Throw in that the government's agreement to underwrite any claims against vaccine suppliers and you see how little the capitalist model offers in times of adversity. Oh well onwards & downwards as we cheer the end of Lockdown & prepare for the return to Austerity followed by the inevitable economic crash. With any luck I'll be dead before the  one after that. :death

19 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I actually commented in relation to it a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by FTOF

On 3/31/2021 at 3:03 PM, faraway saint said:

The king of irony, who is known for a few things, one of them is people living off the state and not taking responsibility for their own life.

Never mind, keep it up, you do make me laugh, at you. 😂

Many artists in the past chose to live on benefits long term. One example is KT Tunstall admitting she had been on the dole for 9 years before finding musical success. This is what she said

"I chose to stay on the dole so I could be a musician. It took nine years but I never stopped believing. I knew I couldn’t take a job even as a waitress because I had to put all my time and energy into writing, making music, doing little gigs. Between the ages of 21 and 28, all I had was my dole cheque of £52 a week. I remember very clearly not having the money for a 26p stamp and another time I put on a balaclava while my boyfriend at the time pinched some broccoli from a farmer’s field. My mum still hasn’t forgiven me for that."

Actually fuck it get the workshy bastards shot...:fire

Pedant Alert:  21  28 is only 7 years 

10 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Many artists in the past chose to live on benefits long term. One example is KT Tunstall admitting she had been on the dole for 9 years before finding musical success. This is what she said

I knew I couldn’t take a job even as a waitress because I had to put all my time and energy into writing, making music, doing little gigs. Between the ages of 21 and 28, all I had was my dole cheque of £52 a week. 

Actually fuck it get the workshy bastards shot...:fire

Pedant Alert:  21  28 is only 7 years 

I'm sure she could have managed 10 to 15 hours of part time work without killing her music career.

It's one thing to spend 9 years on the dole. It's another to bullshit about why you did that.

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

Oooft - when friends fall out!

Dominic Cumming whilst denying he has been briefing against his former besty has launched a open attack on the self styled King of the World...

Dominic Cummings Blasts Boris Johnson Over His 'Competence And Integrity' And Denies Leaking Stories | HuffPost UK (huffingtonpost.co.uk)

Indeed.

Which lying cunt to believe?:lol:

I heard during the week that the SNP are now talking of giving FREE bicycle's to children.
Brilliant, free broadband, free laptops and now a free bike. 
Think I'll have a child soon, they are a great source of free stuff. [emoji38]
Just become a Tory politician, you'll get loads more. [emoji2959]

I heard during the week that the SNP are now talking of giving FREE bicycle's to children.
Brilliant, free broadband, free laptops and now a free bike. 
Think I'll have a child soon, they are a great source of free stuff. [emoji38]
Woo-hoo, a free bike for everyone on this forum!!!

As it's fairly clear Boris did try to secure payment from Lord Brownlow for the renovations to his pad, I wonder how "they're" going to spin him out of this.

Oh and three cheers for Lord Brownlow for trying to help out the underprivileged ex-Eton alumni Johnson.

In 2013 he set up the David Brownlow Charitable Foundation, which he says is “dedicated to enhancing the lives and wellbeing of individuals and communities where there is an element of disadvantage"

Straight to the top of the "You couldn't make it up" charts...:hammer

Boris Johnson will have the final say over deciding whether or not he broke the ministerial code in relation to the funding of his flat - despite the announcement of an inquiry by the new independent adviser on ministerial interests appointed this morning. The prime minister has always been the ultimate judge of whether or not a minister has broken the code. But, given that his own conduct is now being investigated, the prime minister’s spokesman was asked if Johnson would recuse himself from this investigation. The spokesman said Johnson would remain the “ultimate arbiter” of the code.

6 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

No wonder the SNP are winning in a canter if that's the kind of shite the opposition are putting up against them :lol: 

Mibbie some people, well, quite a lot of people, can think for themselves.

The Scottish public’s views on independence are on a “knife-edge” with support for a Yes vote at 49% and No on 51%, a new opinion poll suggests.

The poll of more than 2,000 Scots, commissioned by Lord Ashcroft, found the Yes and No camps are effectively in a “statistical dead heat” when undecided voters are excluded.

It also found 49% are likely to vote SNP in the constituency ballot in the upcoming Holyrood election - giving Nicola Sturgeon's party a three-seat majority.

9 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

No wonder the SNP are winning in a canter if that's the kind of shite the opposition are putting up against them :lol: 

The problem the SNP have is that anything short of a full majority is going to look like failure and might well kill any chance of a referendum being allowed.

It really is an incredibly ridiculous situation to be in but that's the reality.

Any gloating from the opposition should be tempered with the realisation that it could well be decades before the SNP lose power at Holyrood and IMO that challenge will end up coming from the Greens as environmental issues start to dominate the middle years of the century.

Edited by oaksoft

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The problem the SNP have is that anything short of a full majority is going to look like failure and might well kill any chance of a referendum being allowed.

It really is an incredibly ridiculous situation to be in but that's the reality.

Any gloating from the opposition should be tempered with the realisation that it could well be decades before the SNP lose power at Holyrood and IMO that challenge will end up coming from the Greens as environmental issues start to dominate the middle years of the century.

Funny enough the SNP environmental issues is one of their successes

They will need to up their game on povety and home issues

Far from being a canter

Too many stauch followers in the country who won't change their mind

SNP are seen as a Sinn Fein type of party

People do vote on depending on what team they follow

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

Far from being a canter

They really need to up their game on everything IMO.

Personally  I don't think they're doing enough on anything. Some of that is down to us being limited by Westminster controlling us though (poverty for example). Independence would remove that as an excuse I suppose.

There seems to be a bit of sluggishness to them at the moment. We saw this with Labour up here and it killed them in the end.

Still SNP for me as regards my voting but I went Green on the list this time (postal vote sent in last week).

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

Far from being a canter

Lots of reasons that not everybody who has seen Braveheart wants to leave the UK, pointing a a few groups is pretty pointless as EVERYBODY, no matter what team they follow, is entitled to a vote.

Anyhow, it seems the recent euphoria by some, slavering about "free in 23" :lol: is petering out......................

Nicola Sturgeon has backed away from her threat to hold a new independence referendum this year as a new poll showed support for leaving the UK had fallen to its lowest level in 18 months.

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Lots of reasons that not everybody who has seen Braveheart wants to leave the UK, pointing a a few groups is pretty pointless as EVERYBODY, no matter what team they follow, is entitled to a vote.

Anyhow, it seems the recent euphoria by some, slavering about "free in 23" :lol: is petering out......................

Nicola Sturgeon has backed away from her threat to hold a new independence referendum this year as a new poll showed support for leaving the UK had fallen to its lowest level in 18 months.

The reason i mentioned that group is

They are in no man land

The Tories with Johnston and Ross are making a pigs ear of things(Their words)

SNP no go ,a vote for Republicism

Labour starting to look favourite but don't like the look of the leader

Decisons