The Politics Thread

shull

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It really hasn’t though Oaky. That’s the thing. 
Anyone who pays the slightest attention to any of my posts on this topic will know I’m an avid supporter of Scottish independence. However, the constituency vote share for pro independence parties was still less than 50%. That it not a majority, let alone a substantial majority. 
After the emotional effort invested by so many in 2014, I have ZERO appetite for another referendum until polls show an actual clear majority in favour. 
Another defeat is frankly unthinkable. 

That's not how a parliamentary democracy works.

It's based on seats. Nothing more or less.

No government in he developed world has ever polled more than 50% but they still move forward with a mandate based on a majority of seats.

There is a clear majority of pro-referendum seats at Holyrood and that gives Sturgeon a clear mandate to proceed.

Whether that referendum is won or lost is a totally different matter. The mandate was for the referendum and she clearly has that.

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That's not how a parliamentary democracy works.

It's based on seats. Nothing more or less.

No government in he developed world has ever polled more than 50% but they still move forward with a mandate based on a majority of seats.

There is a clear majority of pro-referendum seats at Holyrood and that gives Sturgeon a clear mandate to proceed.

Whether that referendum is won or lost is a totally different matter. The mandate was for the referendum and she clearly has that.

But crucially it is how referenda work. 
The majority of seats is absolutely immaterial. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

This is a discussion about whether she has won a mandate to HOLD a referendum not whether she can actually win one.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This is a discussion about whether she has won a mandate to HOLD a referendum not whether she can actually win one.

BEEP BEEP, unbelievable. 😂

She needs to convince most of the 36 % of People who never bothered to go out to  vote to have any chance  of winning and she still has the bias media to try and get past along with all the underhand stuff the Tory government will pull.

Edited by elvis

26 minutes ago, Slash said:

It amazes me why there are so many people incapable of using their votes. Ok I expect there must be some of the population unable to think for themselves , but we live in a country where the right to vote is a freedom of expression that other people around the world are denied that opportunity. People around the world have lost their lives in pursuit of such freedom.

We have had the option of postal votes for two decades so you don’t even need to bother with remembering on the day, as long as you can walk to the nearest post box. 

A la Brexit

I was amazed last week to see English politicians and voters roll up in front of cameras and declare that last week's vote was for change.  Not one person seemed to get the irony that the Tories have been in power for 11 years now. What kind of positive change do they expect?

BJ' s greatest success seems to be convincing voters that he is the ultimate protest vote.  It doesn't matter what the difficulty is, BJ can fix it.  

Hard to see how they get themselves out of the fix they are in

1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

I was amazed last week to see English politicians and voters roll up in front of cameras and declare that last week's vote was for change.  Not one person seemed to get the irony that the Tories have been in power for 11 years now. What kind of positive change do they expect?

BJ' s greatest success seems to be convincing voters that he is the ultimate protest vote.  It doesn't matter what the difficulty is, BJ can fix it.  

Hard to see how they get themselves out of the fix they are in

It doesn't help when you have a Lab Party and Leader who stands for nothing, at least Corbyn had views, Stammer just blows with the wind. The Tories are the English National Party and like in Scotland very popular, however in England's case very much further right.... Lab and Libs be as well chucking it as they don't actually represent any political stance....

Basically the Tories can do anything and get away with it, Bojo will no doubt be planning a Conservatory and a swimming pool for No 10 

One thing I will say IMHO, that the vaccine roll out has been an immense success, and Tory greed, in this regard, has been to everyone's benefit 

7 hours ago, Slash said:

To be fair that was the English. They are immensely stupid.

5 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Only around 16 million of them , and don't forget 1 million Scottish prats joined them 

If only everyone was as smart as you two nuggets eh? :lol:

9 hours ago, Slash said:

It amazes me why there are so many people incapable of using their votes. Ok I expect there must be some of the population who are in care homes unable to think for themselves and others dying in hospitals, but we live in a country where the right to vote is a freedom of expression that other people around the world are denied that opportunity. People around the world have lost their lives in pursuit of such freedom.

We have had the option of postal votes for two decades so you don’t even need to bother with remembering on the day, as long as you can walk to the nearest post box. 

Not me. Lots of people feel disenfranchised from society in general never mind politics. I often empathise with them when watching all these property programmes filmed down south where modest small homes are selling for hundreds of thousands, it might as well be millions because it’s unreachable for me and many other working class people.
Plus Loads of folk are also not on the electoral role so they can’t be tracked by debt collectors or the CSA.

Slash, You just justified my comment about a large part of the population not voting due to feeling that there vote has no comparable effect on there life (I.e house prices and affordability for example) there are many other aspects of general life that some people feel can not be changed by voting. It sounds like you took Mr Tebbits advice and got on yer bike. 👍🏻

Only around 16 million of them , and don't forget 1 million Scottish prats joined them 

If only everyone was as smart as you two nuggets eh? [emoji38]

... is this just you having a dig at other peoples intellect just because you have a PhD?

I think he was commenting on you two commenting on the intellect of others.

39 minutes ago, Slash said:

Ha ha. I don’t have a problem with that. Oaksoft believes he is intellectually superior to everyone on this forum. I don’t think I’ve ever been as arrogant to suggest I could explain some of the theories of Stephen Hawkings but I’m sure Oaksoft would run him close. I may not be able to do that, but at least I can overcome his fear of flying. 

Having worked in England for 20 years I have some experience of their people.

When I left Scotland to work there, the average IQ in Scotland went up. When I arrived in England the average IQ went up.

He obviously isn't, that would be me. :D

20 hours ago, Slash said:

1 hour ago, Slash said:

Having worked in England for 20 years I have some experience of their people.

When I arrived in England the average IQ went up.

1 hour ago, Slash said:

Oaksoft believes he is intellectually superior

Jeezo :lol:

7 hours ago, Slash said:

......just because you have a PhD?

Why do you keep repeatedly bringing up my qualifications?

You're worse than @FTOF for continually indulging in this "chip on shoulder" pish. :lol:

Nobody cares except the pair of you.

Let it go.

Edited by oaksoft

4 hours ago, Slash said:

Personally I couldn’t care less about what qualifications you may or not have. It means nothing to me and most others on here.

What I do find very strange is that you preach about all subjects on a St Mirren supporters forum yet we all know you don’t even support the club emotionally or financially. Despite your obvious financial success you can’t even contribute to the club to help improve. 

FACT.

I find it amazing that a guy of your supposed intellect bothers with people like me who were brought up in schemes which you have previously had a dig at on here as being low life scum.

You don’t even like people beyond your own family. So why not channel your intelligence and deal with things that may open up your horizons.

EE2B5072-45C6-4DC8-A7F0-E76A0F96A119.thumb.jpeg.e4165ed2bc064b8edfdbfa5a607e38f3.jpeg

I see Sheldon/Walter Mitty is still at it.

The gift that keeps giving.

Did you need to quote the snivelling clown?:lol:

Edited by FTOF

22 hours ago, Slash said:

Personally I couldn’t care less about what qualifications you may or not have. 

That would be more believable if you didn't keep bringing it up.

You clearly have a chip on your shoulder for some reason. Get over it and grow the hell up FFS.

18 hours ago, FTOF said:

I see Sheldon/Walter Mitty is still at it.

The gift that keeps giving.

Did you need to quote the snivelling clown?:lol:

Jeezo.

And there's the other numpty with a chip on his shoulder about my qualifications.

At least Slash has the courage to come to me directly about it.

Get a life FFS.

Edited by oaksoft

23 hours ago, Slash said:

What I do find very strange is that you preach about all subjects on a St Mirren supporters forum yet we all know you don’t even support the club emotionally or financially. Despite your obvious financial success you can’t even contribute to the club to help improve.

FACT.

Well if you've put the word "fact" after that paragraph it MUST be true.

You even put it in capital letters for that extra authenticity. Surprised you didn't use bold, italic and underline while you were at it. :D

Given that you've spent a couple of pages telling us all how you have the answers to poverty and that people just need a kick up the arse to succeed, I don't think I'll be taking lessons from you on how to view people struggling at the bottom of society. Thanks for the thought though.

Well if you've put the word "fact" after that paragraph it MUST be true.
You even put it in capital letters for that extra authenticity. Surprised you didn't use bold, italic and underline while you were at it. [emoji3]
Given that you've spent a couple of pages telling us all how you have the answers to poverty and that people just need a kick up the arse to succeed, I don't think I'll be taking lessons from you on how to view people struggling at the bottom of society. Thanks for the thought though.
So no denial. [emoji1787]

On 5/11/2021 at 7:32 AM, Slarti said:

I think he was commenting on you two commenting on the intellect of others.

This from his high and mighty deluded opinion of himself ? He is thickasfeck just googles alot 😉

This from his high and mighty deluded opinion of himself ? He is thickasfeck just googles alot [emoji6]
At least he's intelligent enough to Google things then, while some on here just post the first nonsense that pops into their tiny brains. Googling something is not an issue as long as you can understand what you read and don't disingenously selectively quote things. IMO, everybody should use every avenue to learning that is open to them, including Google.