The Politics Thread

shull

8 hours ago, FTOF said:

The ferry situation has indeed been a costly fuck up of monumental proportions. 

However, if the current level of scrutiny being applied to the situation was applied to the contracts handed out to the Tory network and for equipment not fit for purpose during Covid, I wonder how many "ferry fuck ups" would equal that vast sum of taxpayers money.

The tip of the iceberg - Ministers refuse to share papers relating to £200m PPE contracts with Michelle Mone-linked firm - Business Insider

You have to laugh at the Tory frog king at Holyrood accusing the scottish government of corruption and wasting taxpayers money. I know it's his job, but what a brass neck.

Whataboutery is never a good look.

even a frog king would be better than the current Buffoon in Downing Street.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:14 AM, antrin said:

Whataboutery is never a good look.

even a frog king would be better than the current Buffoon in Downing Street.

Don't forget that he is the first prime minister in 30 years to lead UK to runners up spot in Eurovision. Showing them pesky Europeans who really runs Europe (in his own deluded head) 

21 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Don't forget that he is the first prime minister in 30 years to lead UK to runners up spot in Eurovision. Showing them pesky Europeans who really runs Europe (in his own deluded head) 

We all know the Eurovision contest is politically motivated. It's obvious that the Europeans are determined to make us keep BoJo so he can really feck up Britain while they sit on the sideline laughing their collective heads off.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, faraway saint said:

£400 to help ease the rise in fuel bills, mustn't grumble, although I'm sure some cheery souls will. :thumbs2

Do we know how the money will be distributed? I’d hate to see people not use it for the intended purpose and perhaps waste it instead.

Me? I’m gonna stick it on Scotland to win the World Cup. 

4 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Do we know how the money will be distributed? I’d hate to see people not use it for the intended purpose and perhaps waste it instead.

Not sure but I've asked for mines to be paid in euros.  😉

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Deducted from bill in October.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/millions-of-most-vulnerable-households-will-receive-1200-of-help-with-cost-of-living

as a wee side safety bet, put a fiver double on New Zealand with Alex Grieve as tournament top scorer.

Edited by truesaint

3 hours ago, antrin said:

Amid theTory MP letters, this one by Jesse Norman is a star.  He’s nailed it.  :)

https://twitter.com/Jesse_Norman/status/1533699235417403393/photo/2

Thanks for finding that. As you say the guy has got it spot on, except perhaps the bit at the end saying a change of government at the next election would be a catastrophe.... 

On 6/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, FTOF said:

You could also add the £400 Million wasted when the Warrior project was scrapped before a single unit was upgraded 

& the Massive overspend on the two carriers which incidentally still are nowhere near their full complement of Aircraft

& The Dreadnought Submarines which are currently some 5-6 years behind schedule and already £1.5 Billion over budget 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

You could also add the £400 Million wasted when the Warrior project was scrapped before a single unit was upgraded 

& the Massive overspend on the two carriers which incidentally still are nowhere near their full complement of Aircraft

& The Dreadnought Submarines which are currently some 5-6 years behind schedule and already £1.5 Billion over budget 

It is unsettling that no public body seems capable of budgeting and delivering projects on time whether at Local Government (Trams), National (Ferries) or UK level (see posts)

Politicians wasting tax payer's money, hoodathunkit?

I'm with The Big Yin on this, "The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one". They're all a bunch of shysters, just some (usually the ones in power) more than others.

13 minutes ago, Slarti said:

I'm with The Big Yin on this, "The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever being one". They're all a bunch of shysters, just some (usually the ones in power) more than others.

Absolutely 👍

14 minutes ago, Rascal said:

It is unsettling that no public body seems capable of budgeting and delivering projects on time whether at Local Government (Trams), National (Ferries) or UK level (see posts)

The problem is often that civil servants want something done to fit a budget ( usually on the cheap ) while those who will use the facility or piece of equipment want it to do what it needs to - what ever it costs while suppliers will tell both sides what they want to hear .

Political parties of whatever colour will do what suits their agenda best .Add it all together and you’re unlikely to get a major capital project done to everyone’s satisfaction or cost . 

14 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

The problem is often that civil servants want something done to fit a budget ( usually on the cheap ) while those who will use the facility or piece of equipment want it to do what it needs to - what ever it costs while suppliers will tell both sides what they want to hear .

Political parties of whatever colour will do what suits their agenda best .Add it all together and you’re unlikely to get a major capital project done to everyone’s satisfaction or cost . 

Fair points CG. 

Design a horse and get a camel.

The biggest issue is that suppliers (who should be the experts) won't raise issues they know about because when the buyer realises it later, they have to pay extra as an additional piece of work, and that's why everything goes over budget. Like most things, the people that have to use it or work in it, are never consulted. It's what comes from employing career managers who know how to get grammatically correct bits of paper in on time but who don't know anything about the details on the bits of paper.

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

Talking of shysters, the vote for the current biggest one of all should be complete by 8.00pm tonight.

Led by Donkeys has done an excellent wee bio-film about The Buffoon.  So if any of you will be voting on this tonight, please let it guide your hand…