The Politics Thread

shull

The issue we have is that the size of his majority and the number of MPs who won the "red wall". They are like turkeys voting for Christmas knowing that if Boris goes and there is a snap election they are likely off. Unfortunately I think he will survive tonight. 

3 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

The issue we have is that the size of his majority and the number of MPs who won the "red wall". They are like turkeys voting for Christmas knowing that if Boris goes and there is a snap election they are likely off. Unfortunately I think he will survive tonight. 

I feel and fear that you will be right

If you were a smart conservative MP with desire to be PM you would playing for someone who isn't Boris to be in power then to be sitting in the background till after the next election. 

If Boris loses the next leader will share the same issues as Theresa May did in that there will be in fighting and bickering thanks to pillocks like Jacob Rees Mogg.  An early election would then be an option to "unify" the party.

Conservative would lose on a small majority to Labour and with cost of living challenges 5 years of chaos would erupt leaving the second leader after Boris a good chance of regaining power for conservatives.

I agree that I think he will survive and then I believe they have to wait a year before they can do it again. It will be getting closer to the next general election then and they can decide then how big a liability or not they feel he is.

Edited by ianmac

I agree that I think he will survive and then I believe they have to wait a year before they can do it again. It will be getting closer to the next general election then and they can decide then how big a liability or not they feel he is.
The 12 months is apparently a rule of the backbench 1922 group thingy, who also have the power to change that rule, so it isn't set in stone.

Talking of shysters, the vote for the current biggest one of all should be complete by 8.00pm tonight.

Led by Donkeys has done an excellent wee bio-film about The Buffoon.  So if any of you will be voting on this tonight, please let it guide your hand…

Aye, but they missed all his good points like appearing, and having the piss taken out of him, on HIGNFY, getting stuck on a zip slide while waving two wee Union Flags and, em, there's bound to be more. That should more than make up for things.

Boris will claim a win, however this is a bloody nose and all but leaves him as a lame duck prime minister. Will be interesting to see what happens if found to have breached parliamentary protocol as in theory he has lost his parliamentary majority if the rebels vote against him in future. 

12 minutes ago, exiledfan said:

Boris will claim a win, however this is a bloody nose and all but leaves him as a lame duck prime minister. Will be interesting to see what happens if found to have breached parliamentary protocol as in theory he has lost his parliamentary majority if the rebels vote against him in future. 

He won't care. Only word that can sum him up is gallus.

1 minute ago, exiledfan said:

Agreed however put it in perspective only 211 MPs out of 650 in houses of parliament support the PM. That's tough to survive. 

What will be interesting over the next 6 months will be the investment in certain areas where the 148 tory mp's represent to get them back onside.

Some punter in the FT said this today, after the vote came in:

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Quite neat.

Hope they’re all for the chop.

3 hours ago, antrin said:

Some punter in the FT said this today, after the vote came in:

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood, he was one of them.

Quite neat.

Hope they’re all for the chop.

Very apt. Chop, chop I hope.

10 hours ago, exiledfan said:

Agreed however put it in perspective only 211 MPs out of 650 in houses of parliament support the PM. That's tough to survive. 

Around 70% backbenchers wanted him out as well. Survives through MP’s that are on the payroll. 

Both May & Thatcher got stronger results and ultimately left. I don’t see him resigning though, the man has no shame whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Around 70% backbenchers wanted him out as well. Survives through MP’s that are on the payroll. 

Both May & Thatcher got stronger results and ultimately left. I don’t see him resigning though, the man has no shame whatsoever. 

Correct on all counts.

• 2 weeks later...