The Politics Thread

shull

Yawn. How original. Did you stay up all night writing that hilarious gag. 

That’s a response from people who want to keep having votes until they get their desired result

It was said, in their own words

So , twice in 9 years is ok obviously, forgive me….. lets see the 2032 result as well? [emoji2]

October 19th 2023 the wee yin would like another ‘once in a lifetime’ vote [emoji2]
It was called a "once in a generation" vote, not "lifetime" and that was repeatedly said to be the personal opinion of the person/people calling it that. It was also said at the time that that only applied if there were no major material changes - oh, look, Brexit.

After the union of the crowns in 1603 (not sure how long after, but obviously before 1707), there was apparently a vote in the Scottish Parliament about "merging" with England and it was rejected, maybe there shouldn't have been another.

Maybe there should only ever be one GE and we can just stick with the result. This every 5 years carry on is obviously just a joke, it should at least be for a generation/lifetime. There you go, Boris as PM for the rest of your life (or maybe his).

Out of curiosity, how long is a "generation" or a "lifetime" in your opinion and how do you arrive at your answer(s)?

3 minutes ago, Slarti said:

It was called a "once in a generation" vote, not "lifetime" and that was repeatedly said to be the personal opinion of the person/people calling it that. It was also said at the time that that only applied if there were no major material changes - oh, look, Brexit.

After the union of the crowns in 1603 (not sure how long after, but obviously before 1707), there was apparently a vote in the Scottish Parliament about "merging" with England and it was rejected, maybe there shouldn't have been another.

Maybe there should only ever be one GE and we can just stick with the result. This every 5 years carry on is obviously just a joke, it should at least be for a generation/lifetime. There you go, Boris as PM for the rest of your life (or maybe his).

Out of curiosity, how long is a "generation" or a "lifetime" in your opinion and how do you arrive at your answer(s)?

This  

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

1 minute ago, Slarti said:

Jeezo, what a plaver. 

Are you really, oh you are, trying to put a general election into the same bracket as a vote for independence? :lol:

Here we go, same old shite as the last time, let things be what they will be.

I look forward to the vote, if it's no, great, if it's yes, WGAF, I'll get on with life.

If it is a no the gnashing and wailing will be hilarious, my knickers are still damp from the last vote. 

A Unionist? Red, White and Blue? It figures. A closet Govan Fan
I know Sevco fans who voted Yes and Celtic fans who voted No. It's not as simple as the team you support although, for the simple among them, it is.

Anyway, I don't know why you think Faraway is a Sevco fan, he's obviously a Celtic fan. [emoji16]

I know Sevco fans who voted Yes and Celtic fans who voted No. It's not as simple as the team you support although, for the simple among them, it is.

Anyway, I don't know why you think Faraway is a Sevco fan, he's obviously a Celtic/Rangers/Dundee Utd/Dundee/Arbroath fan. emoji16.png

See you, leaving out the detail. :wink:

Anyway, I don't know why you think Faraway is a Sevco fan, he's obviously a Celtic fan. emoji16.png

The labour connection to the team you mention has been well documented and as they have slipped down the political pecking order nationalism (Celtic nationalism) has grown in popularity with their fans whilst the Govan lot gravitated to the Conservative and Unionist party but have also slipped away as they lost power and influence in Scotland. As for FS,  What I am inclined to doubt is his allegiance to St Mirren so as a professed Unionist if it’s not Govan it’s Hearts or Dundee - more likely whoever is on telly.

Are you really, oh you are, trying to put a general election into the same bracket as a vote for independence? [emoji38]

No, I wasn't. I was pointing out the ridiculousness of the "it's too soon" claim. Grasping onto the words of a few individuals and selectively quoting them is ridiculous, especially since it was all recorded and played back numerous times.

Leaving the EU against the will of the Scottish electorate was even mentioned (when pushed) as one of the changes that could shorten the timeframe. IIRC it was Stugeon who said that. It was also repeated during the run up to the Brexit vote.

7 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Anyway, I don't know why you think Faraway is a Sevco fan, he's obviously a Celtic fan. emoji16.png

100%  me too 

Can only imagine people are just scared of change,.... can you imagine if Scotland was independent..  How many of us would vote to be Governed by Westminster if we were asked the question. now.. I'd say in the region of about 2% 

Just now, Slarti said:

No, I wasn't. I was pointing out the ridiculousness of the "it's too soon" claim. Grasping onto the words of a few individuals and selectively quoting them is ridiculous, especially since it was all recorded and played back numerous times.

Leaving the EU against the will of the Scottish electorate was even mentioned (when pushed) as one of the changes that could shorten the timeframe. IIRC it was Stugeon who said that. It was also repeated during the run up to the Brexit vote.

Leaving the EU was a democratic vote that, unfortunately IMO, was a massive mistake BUT starting to separate the Scottish electorate from the UK when it is still a part of it is as ridiculous as a county/town/house saying it wasn't what they wanted.

Ach, straws will be grasped by both sides, I detest the bitterness it brings to the surface, verging on hatred, no, it is a deep hatred by many, so many votes will be placed for all the wrong reasons.

Leaving the EU was a democratic vote that, unfortunately IMO, was a massive mistake BUT starting to separate the Scottish electorate from the UK when it is still a part of it is as ridiculous as a county/town/house saying it wasn't what they wanted.
Ach, straws will be grasped by both sides, I detest the bitterness it brings to the surface, verging on hatred, no, it is a deep hatred by many, so many votes will be placed for all the wrong reasons.

Separating votes into "regions" is done almost everywhere and at almost every vote, why should that one be different?