The Politics Thread

shull

49 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

As the country descends deeper into a chaotic shambles, perhaps this should be redone as Where’s Lizzie ?

That f**king incompetent idiot who was voted into power by 0.12 % of the population has disappeared.  
Someone needs to check and see if she’s in Boris Fridge.  😡 

2D6E5153-FA08-4AC8-964F-E2584D6FFD7C.jpeg

Sorry Calum, I can only give you the one like !!!

Who the F*ck voted for these C*nts ?

Kamikaze economics that's destroying what's left of our economy. They are F*cking up our pensions, the housing market, the future for our younger generations,  etc., etc ...

On the bright side, the F*ckwit in charge of this disaster went to school in Paisley, so we can be proud. 

39 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sorry Calum, I can only give you the one like !!!

Who the F*ck voted for these C*nts ?

Kamikaze economics that's destroying what's left of our economy. They are F*cking up our pensions, the housing market, the future for our younger generations,  etc., etc ...

On the bright side, the F*ckwit in charge of this disaster went to school in Paisley, so we can be proud. 

I've just read that it's far from "f**king up our pensions", where are you getting this from? 

25 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I've just read that it's far from "f**king up our pensions", where are you getting this from? 

Where have you "read" that pensions aren't being negatively affected, FS ? Share prices slumping, bond markets dipping, and according to BBC Business News reports pensions providers are feeling jeapordised (panicked ?) by the uncertainty in the markets.

And where are the prominent Scottish Tories hiding while this economic turmoil is happening ? I don't recall seeing any of them on tv recently supporting the new government's policies. Let's hear their thoughts. 

Alister Jack ? Douglas Ross ? Ruth Davidson ? What do you have to say about the crisis ?

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Where have you "read" that pensions aren't being negatively affected, FS ? Share prices slumping, bond markets dipping, and according to BBC Business News reports pensions providers are feeling jeapordised (panicked ?) by the uncertainty in the markets.

And where are the prominent Scottish Tories hiding while this economic turmoil is happening ? I don't recall seeing any of them on tv recently supporting the new government's policies. Let's hear their thoughts. 

Alister Jack ? Douglas Ross ? Ruth Davidson ? What do you have to say about the crisis ?

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/Mini-budget-2022--what-it-means-for-you-and-your-money#:~:text=The cuts in income tax,at 20% until April 2024.

Any issues that are happening right now will, almost certainly, be short term.

What it means for pensions

For anyone receiving an income from a pension, and paying tax on them, this will be a shot in the arm. The 1% cut in income tax might only sound minor, but it can add up to serious savings with someone on a £25,000 income paying about £125 less in income tax per year.

The cuts in income tax will mean a cut in tax relief on pensions, with the basic rate of tax relief falling to 19%. Although the government has announced that personal pension contributions to relief at source schemes can continue to benefit from basic-rate tax relief at 20% until April 2024. Additional-rate taxpayers will see a tax relief cut from 45% to 40% from April 2023 – but it’s worth remembering, any higher relief may need to be claimed through a tax return.

It doesn’t alter one of the fundamental attractions of pension saving – that your contributions can benefit from tax relief. However, it opens a window of opportunity to take advantage of the extra tax relief, before it disappears. Remember money in a pension can’t normally be accessed until age 55 (57 from 2028).

For someone who is a basic-rate taxpayer now and expects to be so in retirement, it opens a gap between pensions and the Lifetime ISA (LISA). Within the LISA you get a 25% bonus – which is similar to the 20% tax relief a basic-rate taxpayer currently receives on a personal pension contribution.

When the basic rate of tax changes, the LISA will then be more generous than the 19% available on a pension – with the added advantage that any eligible withdrawals from your LISA will be tax free too.

For anyone in a workplace pension, that should still be your first port of call due to the employer contributions available. However, once you’ve exhausted the employer contributions available, if you qualify for a LISA, this could be a sensible home for up to £4,000 a year of your retirement savings.

The LISA comes with specific rules. You need to be a UK resident aged between 18-39 to open one, but, once open, you can continue to add money until age 50. If you need to access the money before age 60 for any other reason aside from buying an eligible first home, you’ll normally pay a penalty (25%). If you save into a LISA instead of a pension, it could affect your entitlement to certain means-tested state benefits.

I would be fairly certain that the piece you are quoting was prepared before the markets (worldwide) reacted to this government's policies. It was reported today on the BBC News Channel (Freeview 231) that pension providers are fearing for their existence after the market movements in the last 48 hours. That's not MY view, that's what pension providers are saying. 

Of course, there's always Tory propaganda that will contradict what is actually happening out there in the real world. 

😝

3 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

As the country descends deeper into a chaotic shambles, perhaps this should be redone as Where’s Lizzie ?

That f**king incompetent idiot who was voted into power by 0.12 % of the population has disappeared.  
Someone needs to check and see if she’s in Boris Fridge.  😡 

2D6E5153-FA08-4AC8-964F-E2584D6FFD7C.jpeg

Maybe the Scottish government ferry’s are in there also, I can see some islanders in the picture have decided to go looking for them also. I have lost faith in all political party’s in the U.K. They are all self centred, incompetent A%@# holes that wouldn’t last 5 minutes in real jobs. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Just heard they're making a joint statement on it shortly 5 minutes or so,  seemingly it's a scathing statement and they're not holding back  :o  

Truss is so thick that she decided this song was apt. Although I think she should heed the words.

You've done me wrong, your time is up
You took a sip from the devil's cup
You broke my heart, there's no way back
Move right out of here, baby, go on pack your bags