The Politics Thread

shull

Swinney jumps ship, the SNP losing their big guns.

Out of the 3 candidates to replace wee Nicky it looks like Yousaf, to me, as the most likely.

I quite like wee Kate but with the current trend to dismiss anyone who goes against the "anything goes" brigade her religious background will see her lose out.

Ash, aye, ah wid, comes across as indecisive and unsure so she'll also be a non runner.

There ye go, that's that sorted. 

Out of the 3 candidates to replace wee Nicky it looks like Yousaf, to me, as the most likely.
I quite like wee Kate but with the current trend to dismiss anyone who goes against the "anything goes" brigade her religious background will see her lose out.
Ash, aye, ah wid, comes across as indecisive and unsure so she'll also be a non runner.
He's not leaving the SNP, or even standing down as an MSP, so that's not entirely accurate.

The rest agree with.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Really?  Don't drag it all down.

Anyway, i would think the politician you most likely "wid" is Douglas Ross

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Same could be said of yousaf? I see Alex salmond has called him out on dodging the gay marriage vote. 
I don’t fancy any of them to be honest, if I was forced to pick it would be Ash Regan, she stood up for her principals and resigned over the gender bill.

• 3 weeks later...

Chaos, turmoil, the wheels have come off.........................just three of the terms being used right now.

Thats the Yoon media for you. Let's ignore.....

The tories. How do we help our rich friends again and again without looking like we are. So he's increased the amount you can put into your pension pot annually from £40,000 to £60,000 before it becomes a tax liability.

£20,000 suddenly becomes tax free for the rich.

Covid contracts for the pub landlord, the illegal lobbing thats getting ignored by the Yoon media

Wee Dougie 3 jobs, asked for Bojo's resignation, didn't ask for Bojo's resignation, asked for Bojo's resignation, supported truss's budget that fcuked up the economy and insisted that the Scottish government did the same before admitting it was and he was wrong. He also got a donation from a whisky distillers, bet they wished they hadn't bothered as he wasn't capable of stopping the +10% increase of duty on whisky. On the average priced bottle of whisky, 75% of that is now paid to the UK gov through duty and vat.

Labour, SIR Starmer is so right wing I'm surprised he's sitting on the opposition benches. Anas Sarwar the family buisness man that was paying its staff over 12% less than the living wage, HE was saying that everyone should be earning.

Lib Dems, shared power in Holyrood with Labour, wiped out. Shared power in Westminster, wiped out. Alistair Carmichael was the Secretary of State for Scotland now isn't even trusted by his own party to be its Scottish spokesperson.

I really need to get well and drinking again. [emoji1787]

8 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Thats the Yoon media for you. Let's ignore.....

The tories. How do we help our rich friends again and again without looking like we are. So he's increased the amount you can put into your pension pot annually from £40,000 to £60,000 before it becomes a tax liability.

£20,000 suddenly becomes tax free for the rich.

Covid contracts for the pub landlord, the illegal lobbing thats getting ignored by the Yoon media

Wee Dougie 3 jobs, asked for Bojo's resignation, didn't ask for Bojo's resignation, asked for Bojo's resignation, supported truss's budget that fcuked up the economy and insisted that the Scottish government did the same before admitting it was and he was wrong. He also got a donation from a whisky distillers, bet they wished they hadn't bothered as he wasn't capable of stopping the +10% increase of duty on whisky. On the average priced bottle of whisky, 75% of that is now paid to the UK gov through duty and vat.

Labour, SIR Starmer is so right wing I'm surprised he's sitting on the opposition benches. Anas Sarwar the family buisness man that was paying its staff over 12% less than the living wage, HE was saying that everyone should be earning.

Lib Dems, shared power in Holyrood with Labour, wiped out. Shared power in Westminster, wiped out. Alistair Carmichael was the Secretary of State for Scotland now isn't even trusted by his own party to be its Scottish spokesperson.

I really need to get well and drinking again. emoji1787.png

Not the Yoon media, mostly Kate Forbes and Mike Russell 😅

An approximate 30% drop in members. :shockaroony

The SNP's membership has fallen to just over 72,000, the party has confirmed amid a row over the integrity of its leadership race.

Candidates Ash Regan and Kate Forbes had demanded to know how many members were eligible to vote in the contest to succeed Nicola Sturgeon.

The party initially refused to do so - but has now told the candidates that it has 72,186 members.

It means it has lost 32,000 members from the 104,000 it had two years ago.

Not surprising when you push a gender bill that 65% of those in the public consultation disagreed with and then accuse anyone who disagrees with gender ideology as homophobic, racist misogynist’s. Not how you win votes. 

Cookie Monster, your post above kind of typifies the problem with the SNP, they gathered support initially by being positive about there policies and about change. However over the last few years they have decided to focus on the problems they apparently can’t manage because of Westminster and the union. This is fine if your own house is in order but it isn’t. The ferry deal, the gender bill etc has forced a lot of support away. Don’t really know where they go from here? 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

46 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Not surprising when you push a gender bill that 65% of those in the public consultation disagreed with and then accuse anyone who disagrees with gender ideology as homophobic, racist misogynist’s. Not how you win votes. 

Cookie Monster, your post above kind of typifies the problem with the SNP, they gathered support initially by being positive about there policies and about change. However over the last few years they have decided to focus on the problems they apparently can’t manage because of Westminster and the union. This is fine if your own house is in order but it isn’t. The ferry deal, the gender bill etc has forced a lot of support away. Don’t really know where they go from here? 

Dump the bloody Greens before anything else.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

An approximate 30% drop in members. :shockaroony

The SNP's membership has fallen to just over 72,000, the party has confirmed amid a row over the integrity of its leadership race.

Candidates Ash Regan and Kate Forbes had demanded to know how many members were eligible to vote in the contest to succeed Nicola Sturgeon.

The party initially refused to do so - but has now told the candidates that it has 72,186 members.

It means it has lost 32,000 members from the 104,000 it had two years ago.

I wouldn't read too much into a drop in membership, I'm pretty sure it's been dropping steadily since the boom after the referendum,  fact is before the referendum membership was well under 25K  i'm surprised it's still as high as 72K,  

The unionists are jumping on everything and anything right now with the usual help from the press, this is just the sort of crap I'd expect them to make a big deal of, they won't miss a trick to change peoples opinion on independence, they've been ramping it right up lately

With Sturgeon going looks like they're all out now to crush those Rebellious Scots and make them subservient again. 

19 minutes ago, Slarti said:

It would be interesting to find out when all these people left. Has it been a gradual decline or is it linked to specific factors like the gender equality bill or cost of living crisis?

I've no doubt it's just a steady decline, many factors, some members would have left along with Alex Salmond,  I know a few who cancelled for no particular reason,  I've never been a member 

6 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

I wouldn't read too much into a drop in membership, I'm pretty sure it's been dropping steadily since the boom after the referendum,  fact is before the referendum membership was well under 25K  i'm surprised it's still as high as 72K,  

The unionists are jumping on everything and anything right now with the usual help from the press, this is just the sort of crap I'd expect them to make a big deal of, they won't miss a trick to change peoples opinion on independence, they've been ramping it right up lately

With Sturgeon going looks like they're all out now to crush those Rebellious Scots and make them subservient again. 

Aye, thanks for that Mel Gibson. :lol:

Aye, thanks for that Mel Gibson. [emoji38]
"Rebellious Scots to crush" comes from the 6th verse of the British national anthem. It mentions Marshall Wade and is therefore obviously about the 1745 Jocobite uprising, not about William Wallace (portrayed by Mel Gibson on film). Please amend your belittlement accordingly, lest you appear uneducated.