The Politics Thread

shull

What fruitcakes these Turks are!!!
imagine allowing ex-pats to vote for anything regarding the future of their own country!
Next thing you know they’ll be pretending to be an open, inclusive democracy.  default_rolleyes.gif
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/5/21/expats-start-voting-in-turkey-election-run-off

You mean like UK ex-pats can do?

If you're having another go at the Indy Referendum then you have to remember that the EU ruled that Scotland was only a region of the UK and, therefore, it was a regional referendum where only those living in the region are eligible to vote. Come independence, you'll no doubt get to vote in Scottish elections as you will officially be an ex-pat, so there's a reason for you to support it. You know it makes sense. [emoji16]

Well, it’s surprising to see that Indy supporters are so accepting that Scotland is simply a region and should be treated as such.

it’s not as if the SNP fought tooth and claw to give all Scots the rights that you note are granted to every other ex-pat in the world.  

3 minutes ago, antrin said:

Well, it’s surprising to see that Indy supporters are so accepting that Scotland is simply a region and should be treated as such.

it’s not as if the SNP fought tooth and claw to give all Scots the rights that you note are granted to every other ex-pat in the world.  

You're brighter than that old boy, they haven't accepted anything, it is a determination by someone else.......they are campaigning/striving to change that so that Scotland isn't treated as "regional". I have no real thoughts either way on Independence but at least keep things honest.

13 minutes ago, antrin said:

My point, WeeBud, is that the SNP never ever wanted ex-pats to get the vote that they happily bestowed an anyone newly landed in the country.

But the reality is that they weren't in charge of that decision so at best it's irrelevant and at worst it's whataboutery

What fruitcakes these Turks are!!!
imagine allowing ex-pats to vote for anything regarding the future of their own country!
Next thing you know they’ll be pretending to be an open, inclusive democracy.  default_rolleyes.gif
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/5/21/expats-start-voting-in-turkey-election-run-off

Please remind me your nationality on your passport?

Stupid phone not updating the topic.

What others said.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

My point, WeeBud, is that the SNP never ever wanted ex-pats to get the vote that they happily bestowed an anyone newly landed in the country.

As I said in the referendum/independence thread I am very much in favour of independence but as I don't live in Scotland and have no immediate plans to return home I wouldn't expect a vote. I wouldn't expect to be disenfranchised in a referendum affecting England because I'm Scottish even though I live in England so equally wouldn't expect a vote in Scotland where I don't live.

3 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

So your beef is really with the immigrants?  Oh dear!😐

Tut-tut.

You must have your reasons for focusing on immigrants, as I certainly wouldn’t dream of it - as I AM an immigrant.  

immigrants are the good guys.  :)

6 hours ago, WeeBud said:

But the reality is that they weren't in charge of that decision….

I dunno about that.   Slarti never quoted chapter and verse nor offered a link proving his case.  Easily missed, I’m sure.

I’m also sure that whatever the Scot Nats screamed about COULD (and would) have been accommodated - and I'm equally sure that the Tories would have been happy to open up the vote to Scots living elsewhere in the UK.

(and - for Stanley Saint -  Your opinion is valid though I don’t share it.  At the time I was annually working and staying in Scotland from about March to October.  
Also, more importantly, imho creating schisms between the peoples who inhabit this island is up there on a par with Brexit - if not more insane.  Divide and conquer - the ruling classes have got it covered.)

3 hours ago, antrin said:

Tut-tut.

You must have your reasons for focusing on immigrants, as I certainly wouldn’t dream of it - as I AM an immigrant.  

immigrants are the good guys.  :)

Listen, if you want to indulge yourself in the spurious and tenuous then don't complain if the rest of us want a piece of that nonsense too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 12:33 PM, StanleySaint said:

As I said in the referendum/independence thread I am very much in favour of independence but as I don't live in Scotland and have no immediate plans to return home I wouldn't expect a vote. I wouldn't expect to be disenfranchised in a referendum affecting England because I'm Scottish even though I live in England so equally wouldn't expect a vote in Scotland where I don't live.

Now that's a rational view.

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Nicola arrested.

On a Sunday, too !!

And she too will probably be released without charge. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. After all. Police Scotland aren't exactly known for being SNP supporters. Quite the contrary.

Handshake GIF - Handshake GIFs

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

And she too will probably be released without charge. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. After all. Police Scotland aren't exactly known for being SNP supporters. Quite the contrary.

With greatest of respect .. and i know innocent till proven guilty.. but 600k is missing...this has to be investigated

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Given you haven't a clue as to anything to do with this investigation it might be wise of you let it run its course and then comment on Police Scotland.

Your letting your politics get in the way of common sense again !