The Politics Thread

shull

5 hours ago, DougJamie said:

With greatest of respect .. and i know innocent till proven guilty.. but 600k is missing...this has to be investigated

Now how do you know it was ever missing,?  You don't consider that the money may have already been accounted for and the investigation is focussing on whether the actual use was within the powers of the office bearers?

1 minute ago, beyond our ken said:

Now how do you know it was ever missing,?  You don't consider that the money may have already been accounted for and the investigation is focussing on whether the actual use was within the powers of the office bearers?

As i said needs investigated and fact she resigned smells like low tide .... the whole fiasco is dodgy... but thats just my opinion....one thing is certain glasshouses stones being applied here

32 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

As i said needs investigated and fact she resigned smells like low tide .... the whole fiasco is dodgy... but thats just my opinion....one thing is certain glasshouses stones being applied here

That is not certain, if the investigation concludes without any charges being laid then who has been living in a glass house?

there is as distance to travel yet before that kind of assertion can be viewed as anything more than gleeful  wishful thinking.

8 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

That is not certain, if the investigation concludes without any charges being laid then who has been living in a glass house?

there is as distance to travel yet before that kind of assertion can be viewed as anything more than gleeful  wishful thinking.

Wouldnt be my wishful thinking.....anything comes of this and the national press will go into overdrive... my point is Nicola knew this was coming... 

On 6/11/2023 at 3:34 PM, DougJamie said:

With greatest of respect .. and i know innocent till proven guilty.. but 600k is missing...this has to be investigated

It's not missing. They are claiming it's misappropriated. ie. They know about the motor home but don't think this was the correct thing to buy. 

Why the feck they think they have a right to decide what is necessary is beyond me

Edited by stlucifer

38 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

It's not missing. They are claiming it's misappropriated. ie. They know about the motor home but don't think this was the correct thing to buy. 

Why the feck they think they have a right to decide what is necessary is beyond me

Ask Sean Clerkin

15 minutes ago, alanb said:

Ask Sean Clerkin

If the police decided to investigate every disgruntled ex member of the party we'd be in real trouble. This is no more than a fortunate smoke screen to hide the corruption happening down south. the evidence of tories giving millions to their buddies during covid has just been released. The media have not reported this, instead concentrating on POSSIBLE misappropriation within the SNP. Handy? Definitely.

Here's someone who's NOT SNP orientated describing the situation down there.

Facebook

This puts things into perspective.

Edited by stlucifer

29 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

If the police decided to investigate every disgruntled ex member of the party we'd be in real trouble. This is no more than a fortunate smoke screen to hide the corruption happening down south. the evidence of tories giving millions to their buddies during covid has just been released. The media have not reported this, instead concentrating on POSSIBLE misappropriation within the SNP. Handy? Definitely.

Facebook

https://twitter.com/brawday/status/1668508572261535744?s=46&t=O-rROX5PWC_iwWmIM1dx3A
A convenient idiot, was he ever in the SNP(formed his own resistance movement)

From anti English demonstrations to anti SNP police complaints now getting his day in anti SNP media 

Sunday may well be convenient timing in an investigation of over two years 

Edited by alanb

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

It would all be down to the articles that governed the CEO position, was that kind of discretionary purchase within the remit given that the money was supposedly raised for a non-specified campaign?  I'd think that they would already have laid charges if it was that clear cut.  If the money was clearly ring-fenced then there would at least have been a case for unsavoury, and possibly but not necessarily, illegal behaviour.

But after years of investigation I would have thought that any evidence of this would already have led to charges.  It is entirely possible that the only wrongdoing that is found will be around a failure to control purchase cards and framework accounts at suppliers.

11 minutes ago, alanb said:

I'd be interested in your definition of a convenient idiot

You maybe meant a Useful Idiot

"a naive or credulous person who can be manipulated or exploited to advance a cause or political agenda"

But I dont think that covers Vorderman.  Now Johnson fits that bill very well, so maybe you were referring to him.

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I'd be interested in your definition of a convenient idiot

You maybe meant a Useful Idiot

"a naive or credulous person who can be manipulated or exploited to advance a cause or political agenda"

But I dont think that covers Vorderman.  Now Johnson fits that bill very well, so maybe you were referring to him.

Sean Clerkin is who I refer 

Castigated for his anti England protests and lauded for demanding police investigate SNP funding by BBC And Express/Daily Mail type tabloids and he laps it up

He is being used and can’t see or maybe he is complicit 

5 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Facebook

I have to agree.

Well worth clicking through to Facebook on the link

Yet ANOTHER slap in the face for those of us who followed the "rules", whether we agreed or not, by the arrogant members of the Conservative party.

It's well documented Boris is an utter cretin and seems to be getting what he deserves but EVERY ONE of these cnuts who brazenly attended these parties should be sacked. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Yet ANOTHER slap in the face for those of us who followed the "rules", whether we agreed or not, by the arrogant members of the Conservative party.

It's well documented Boris is an utter cretin and seems to be getting what he deserves but EVERY ONE of these cnuts who brazenly attended these parties should be sacked. 

Or Knighted😄

Yes it's time awards were given to hard working people like Boris's hairdresser who gets a gong or the girl who worked in No 10 for a whole two years. Wonder what she did for Boris?  Charlotte-Owen-Family.thumb.jpg.f0485797f513f1fad4179e4d4145711f.jpg

Must have been a very Special Adviser 'cos she's become the youngest life peer ever!!!!

Edited by rabuddies
Missed a bit

6 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Yes it's time awards were given to hard working people like Boris's hairdresser who gets a gong or the girl who worked in No 10 for a whole two years. Wonder what she did for Boris?  

Must have been a very Special Adviser 'cos she's become the youngest life peer ever!!!!

I wonder........Blow Dry or Blow Job?????

Why is there this clamour for the government to help with the recent rise in interest rates?

Caught a bit of Laura Kuenssberg earlier today grilling a government minister on what help are they going to give due to the rise in interest rates?

Why the feck should the government bail.out people who have a mortgage?

Do these people give back money when they sell their houses for profit?

I made, comparatively soeaking, some considerable sums on my houses over the years and came through some times when the interest rates were much higher than they are now and I never expected the government to bail me out.

Too many are expecting hand outs these days.

Edited by faraway saint

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Why is there this clamour for the government to help with the recent rise in interest rates?

Caught a bit of Laura Kuenssberg earlier today grilling a government minister on what help are they going to give due to the rise in interest rates?

Why the feck should the government bail.out people who have a mortgage?

Those of us of a certain age remember the interest rate heights of ‘79 (17%) & ‘89 (15%).

Some of the problems with the economy is the cluster fcuk of economic decisions made over Brexit and the pandemic. All those “free” hand outs during Covid ultimately had to be paid back at later date. It’s no surprise to you and I that we would “pay” eventually.

Since the crash of 2008 interest rates have been at the lowest I’ve ever lived through. It’s been incredible. My tracker was at 0.19% above base rate in 2008. 😂 

There are going to be many people who have overstretched themselves to taking out mortgage debt during low interest periods while carrying consumer debt via car PCP/loans, credit card etc.

The war in Ukraine and the impact on the economy has only added to the problem.

Did these people not consider what could happen when the interest rates rose again? 

IMG_2431.thumb.jpeg.51697a54a629047cbae1d0c71fb245fd.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

Those of us of a certain age remember the interest rate heights of ‘79 (17%) & ‘89 (15%).

Some of the problems with the economy is the cluster fcuk of economic decisions made over Brexit and the pandemic. All those “free” hand outs during Covid ultimately had to be paid back at later date. It’s no surprise to you and I that we would “pay” eventually.

Since the crash of 2008 interest rates have been at the lowest I’ve ever lived through. It’s been incredible. My tracker was at 0.19% above base rate in 2008. 😂 

There are going to be many people who have overstretched themselves to taking out mortgage debt during low interest periods while carrying consumer debt via car PCP/loans, credit card etc.

The war in Ukraine and the impact on the economy has only added to the problem.

Did these people not consider what could happen when the interest rates rose again? 

IMG_2431.thumb.jpeg.51697a54a629047cbae1d0c71fb245fd.jpeg

Aye, there's always an array of reasons but I didn’t start screaming for the government to help me out.

That's life and we had to deal with it, as hard as it was at times.

I heard a union representative for doctors rolling out the "some of our members are struggling to cope" routine, only stopping from the the standard line from unions about "food banks being a necessity". 

Maybe some of his members should be living within their means.

Give me fecking strength. 

Edited by faraway saint

MrsS and I were talking about this earlier today, it is a result of people being encouraged to buy the most expensive property as they can afford but not taking account that interest rates can rise as well as fall, financial advice/education is sadly lacking!

Edited by StanleySaint

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, there's always an array of reasons but I didn’t start screaming for the government to help me out.

That's life and we had to deal with it, as hard as it was at times.

I heard a union representative for doctors rolling out the "some of our members are struggling to cope" routine, only stopping from the the standard line from unions about "food banks being a necessity". 

Maybe some of his members should be living within their means.

Give me fecking strength. 

A lot of sense in this but not wholly accurate, I suggest. For a long time the government allowed interest charged on mortgages to be used to reduce income tax due and did the same with life insurance policies. Changes in these led to tax creep where income tax rates are not raised but tax gathered is increased. Private pensions have had changes in tax treatment. These decisions were taken  when borrowing for housing and funding needed started to exceed 40% of debt within the country. Now higher I expect

19 minutes ago, Rascal said:

A lot of sense in this but not wholly accurate, I suggest. For a long time the government allowed interest charged on mortgages to be used to reduce income tax due and did the same with life insurance policies. Changes in these led to tax creep where income tax rates are not raised but tax gathered is increased. Private pensions have had changes in tax treatment. These decisions were taken  when borrowing for housing and funding needed started to exceed 40% of debt within the country. Now higher I expect

Not remotely my point.

The reasons you give, accurate or not, are outwith my control and, as I said, I didn't expect the government to bail me out when times were hard.

We've become a nation with less and less responsibility and more and more expectation to be "helped" when we used to help ourselves.