The Politics Thread

shull

11 minutes ago, shull said:

No one that said that has the power to go against the democratic will of the Scottish people. If SNP get elected next year with that in the manifesto and polls continue to suggest that's what is wanted, nothing anyone can say should stop a vote happening.

I means Nikki or Sammy could have said "I'd rather be dead in a ditch" it wouldn't override democracy. 👍 

28 minutes ago, shull said:

What Alex Salmond actually said was "In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, this is a once in a generation opportunity for Scotland".

It was never a guarantee, never SNP policy just Alex Salmond's opinion that there would be no appetite for a second Independence referendum if No won.

It's clear all bets were off after the EU referendum result, a key part of the No campaign!

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

What Alex Salmond actually said was "In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, this is a once in a generation opportunity for Scotland".

It was never a guarantee, never SNP policy just Alex Salmond's opinion that there would be no appetite for a second Independence referendum if No won.

It's clear all bets were off after the EU referendum result, a key part of the No campaign!

Wiz it aye?

The Scottish Government's official publication on the independence referendum stated that "It is the view of the current Scottish Government that a referendum is a once-in-a-generation opportunity", a point reiterated a few days before the vote by the SNP's then-leader, Alex Salmond

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wiz it aye?

The Scottish Government's official publication on the independence referendum stated that "It is the view of the current Scottish Government that a referendum is a once-in-a-generation opportunity", a point reiterated a few days before the vote by the SNP's then-leader, Alex Salmond

Their "view" not policy and not a guarantee. Nothing in that says it can't happen again in a generation if circumstances account for it. It is seeming ever more likely that circumstances are moving in that direction.

Whether anyone likes it or not, situations have changed and no politician has the power to go against democracy, regardless of comments made some six years ago. It's a very weak argument against Indyref2 but it's all the people that don't want it have right now.  

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Their "view" not policy and not a guarantee. Nothing in that says it can't happen again in a generation if circumstances account for it. It is seeming ever more likely that circumstances are moving in that direction.

Whether anyone likes it or not, situations have changed and no politician has the power to go against democracy, regardless of comments made some six years ago. It's a very weak argument against Indyref2 but it's all the people that don't want it have right now.  

Who asked you to butt in on a point I was making with someone else?

FOFF and don't annoy me, I'm not in the mood for you today. 

Edited by faraway saint

Just now, faraway saint said:

Who asked you to but in a point I was making with someone else?

FOFF and don't annoy me, I'm not in the mood for you today. 

We clarified this, it wasn't you butting in, it was you always taking the opposite view to me regardless of subject. I have made my view on a new referendum pretty clear a number of times. 

Lol I that seems legit. 

23 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wiz it aye?

So even if it was the view of the SNP it was never a guarantee and as I said all bets were off when a key plank of the No campaign was overturned, not to mention the undelivered promises of Devo Max and the current power grab by Westminster as Brexit approaches.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:32 PM, shull said:

On 10/16/2020 at 4:47 PM, bazil85 said:

No one that said that has the power to go against the democratic will of the Scottish people. If SNP get elected next year with that in the manifesto and polls continue to suggest that's what is wanted, nothing anyone can say should stop a vote happening.

I means Nikki or Sammy could have said "I'd rather be dead in a ditch" it wouldn't override democracy. 👍 

It should also be taken in context. Those who said this were talking about the chance of HAVING another independence vote. It was not the SNP saying they wouldn't revisit it. It was that it took a lot to get the chance to have it and the likelihood of a Westminster government allowing another vote. Things have moved on and the overriding reason given by the "NO" campaign has been proven false. The lies have been discovered. This negates any preconceived idea of the referendum being a "once in a generation" event. 

The Tories are clearly getting worried...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/conservatives-wargaming-to-stop-second-scottish-independence-referendum/ar-BB1acLaL?ocid=msedgntp

The Conservative government is plotting to scupper hopes of a second Scottish independence referendum, a leaked memo suggests.

Bloomberg reports that the 21-page document has been circulated to “a select group of people” including Michael Gove and outlines tactics to delay and then avoid a referendum if the Scottish National Party (SNP) lands a majority in next May’s Scottish Parliament elections.

The memo argues that continuing the current strategy of dismissing calls for another independence vote would be “counterproductive” and that London should instead consider countermeasures such as handing more power to Edinburgh. 

The authors also suggest pressuring Brussels to rule out the idea of Scotland re-joining the EU as an independent nation, as well as advising Scottish Tories to launch “a hard-hitting, attack-focused” campaign against First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

The memo was written by Hanbury Strategy, a political consultancy firm set up by Ameet Gill, David Cameron’s one-time director of strategy, and Paul Stephenson, former director of communications for Vote Leave.

A poll published last week by Ipsos Mori in partnership with STV News put support for Scottish independence at 58%, the highest level ever. Almost two-thirds (64%) of more than 1,000 respondents said that Downing Street should allow another independence referendum to be held within the next five years if the SNP wins a majority in 2021 - a vote outcome expected by pundits. Only a third (34%) said the UK government should not allow a second vote.

The last time a public opinion poll showed a majority of Scots against independence “came out at the end of March, with the next poll, in May, showing a tie” and ten subsequent surveys all putting Yes in the lead, Politico reports.

Bottom line is if No were confident they'd win IndyRef2 we'd have had it by now.

Further leaks on Westminster policy regarding Scottish Independence show they plan to ask the EU to "dismiss the idea of an independent Scotland joining the bloc". What level of influence do they imagine the UK will have come Jan 1st - more likely as has been mentioned by quite a few MEPs from the remaining countries is that the EU will fast track Scotland's application - as a sorta GIRFUY (my words).

On 10/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, Bud the Baker said:

The Tories are clearly getting worried...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/conservatives-wargaming-to-stop-second-scottish-independence-referendum/ar-BB1acLaL?ocid=msedgntp

Bottom line is if No were confident they'd win IndyRef2 we'd have had it by now.

I think we’ve all been scarred by the imbecility of Brexit actually winning thon vote.  :(