The Politics Thread

shull

Aye true. So what fiscal choices are you going to make that fills the £15Bn deficit? Scrap the NHS? Scrap pensions? Welfare? Raise taxes to 100%? it was the SNP White Paper that claimed everything would be more or less the same as it has always been, except that an Independent Scottish Government would pour more money into the NHS, more into pensions, more into welfare and provide free childcare for everyone. It claimed it could do this cause of the extremely high oil price predictions that they were making. History shows they called that wrong. So what can they credibly claim they will do in an Independent Scotland to balance the books

It's not enough to say you get to make your own choices. What things would you do differently to make expenditure match income? 

Believe it or not, tonight I find myself on the same side as the daft old homophobe, and former SNP leader Gordon Wilson, when he said that pissing about with Indy Ref 2 is a waste of time unless the Scottish Government can trim the size of the deficit - which he says is £14.9Bn. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/indyref2-waste-time-until-scottish-9112985

What a pile of wanky pish...

Aye true. So what fiscal choices are you going to make that fills the £15Bn deficit? Scrap the NHS? Scrap pensions? Welfare? Raise taxes to 100%? it was the SNP White Paper that claimed everything would be more or less the same as it has always been, except that an Independent Scottish Government would pour more money into the NHS, more into pensions, more into welfare and provide free childcare for everyone. It claimed it could do this cause of the extremely high oil price predictions that they were making. History shows they called that wrong. So what can they credibly claim they will do in an Independent Scotland to balance the books

It's not enough to say you get to make your own choices. What things would you do differently to make expenditure match income? 

Believe it or not, tonight I find myself on the same side as the daft old homophobe, and former SNP leader Gordon Wilson, when he said that pissing about with Indy Ref 2 is a waste of time unless the Scottish Government can trim the size of the deficit - which he says is £14.9Bn. 

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/indyref2-waste-time-until-scottish-9112985

It would be welfare that would get it. Would be the only option really, it's the biggest expense by far.

The first act of an independent Scotland would have to be be to slash the welfare budget in a far bigger way than any Tory government ever has. The most vulnerable in society would be the worst affected.

Thank goodness we voted no. And thank goodness we will vote no again (if Nicola doesn't chicken out).

It would be welfare that would get it. Would be the only option really, it's the biggest expense by far.

The first act of an independent Scotland would have to be be to slash the welfare budget in a far bigger way than any Tory government ever has. The most vulnerable in society would be the worst affected.

Thank goodness we voted no. And thank goodness we will vote no again (if Nicola doesn't chicken out).

If there is not trade deal done then there will be a indie vote. However I think there will be a trade deal with free movement as it's the only way a deal can be done in which case there will be no indie vote. If there is one Scotland will vote YES I know plenty young people who voted NO but said they will change to YES as they want to be part of Europe.

If there is not trade deal done then there will be a indie vote. However I think there will be a trade deal with free movement as it's the only way a deal can be done in which case there will be no indie vote. If there is one Scotland will vote YES I know plenty young people who voted NO but said they will change to YES as they want to be part of Europe.

Oh back to anecdotal evidence again?

Cool. I know plenty of people who voted yes but now plan to vote no due to the financial case for indie collapsing.

The reality is the polls say no will win again, and that's why Nicolas hesitating.

12 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Euan Mc Gregory said he was a NO supporter but now because of Brexit he would not vote yes for independence I'm hearing this a lot now.

Robbie Coltraney said the same. 

If there was a choice of being in the UK versus being in the EU then I would be attracted towards voting to be part of the EU.

I don't believe that the EU is perfect but I do believe that it will continue to develop and it might be wise to have a seat at the top table to influence the direction.

I do think that Scotland gained from the Union but that this time has passed as the present constitutional and financial arrangements stand.

Ideal solution for me would be to take over the UK's place in the EU and have a good trade deal with England and Wales.

Been a great couple of days for the Tories and Unionists in Scotland.

Most important has been the securing of skilled jobs on the Clyde for at least next 20 years, jobs that simply wouldn't have came to Glasgow had we voted YES. Great news for ordinary working Scots, their families and the Scottish economy as a whole.

Then there was the romping wins over the SNP in council elections in Alex Salmonds seat in Aberdeenshire, yet more seats going from yellow to blue.

Then SNP big hitter Alex Neil breaking the infamous party whip and admitting he and several other SNP members voted for Brexit. Cracks appearing? And finally destruction of 'Indy camp '.

It's all coming up Tory, glorious :)

6 hours ago, TopCat said:

Been a great couple of days for the Tories and Unionists in Scotland.

Most important has been the securing of skilled jobs on the Clyde for at least next 20 years, jobs that simply wouldn't have came to Glasgow had we voted YES. Great news for ordinary working Scots, their families and the Scottish economy as a whole.

Then there was the romping wins over the SNP in council elections in Alex Salmonds seat in Aberdeenshire, yet more seats going from yellow to blue.

Then SNP big hitter Alex Neil breaking the infamous party whip and admitting he and several other SNP members voted for Brexit. Cracks appearing? And finally destruction of 'Indy camp '.

It's all coming up Tory, glorious :)

As the STV reporter at Govan at Lunchtime put it, it is incredible to think that there are people who haven't even been born yet who will be able to see out their entire apprenticeship before that 20 years has ended. 

While jobs are welcome people like TopCat are too young to remember an industrial Scotland booming with most of its population making good money. The Tory party dismantled that to bring in a services industry with low pay. I for one will never forget that. Germany had the right idea by keeping a sold industrial manufacturering base.

13 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

While jobs are welcome people like TopCat are too young to remember an industrial Scotland booming with most of its population making good money. The Tory party dismantled that to bring in a services industry with low pay. I for one will never forget that. Germany had the right idea by keeping a sold industrial manufacturering base.

I am delighted to serve the Masses rather than being down a f**king coal mine. 

I am delighted to serve the Masses rather than being down a f**king coal mine. 

If you had been a taxi driver in the mid 70s before Thatcher you would be rolling in it and probably paying for holidays from tips. You remember these days fine Mr Shull. Mining in the Paisley area aye right old yin. Any mare oh that shite and it won't be just the mods who have you on ignore ! ! !

It's not an option Ricky. Scotland won't get another Independence Referendum and the UK will leave the EU. The good news is that shipbuilding on the Clyde is now assured for the next 20 years and the UK economy continues to be one of the fastest growing in the world despite the gloom merchants.

And there's the first Natsi to break cover and to deride the future of Clyde Shipbuilding as "wanky pishiness". :rolleyes: 

As the STV reporter at Govan at Lunchtime put it, it is incredible to think that there are people who haven't even been born yet who will be able to see out their entire apprenticeship before that 20 years has ended. 

What a pile of wanky pish...

33 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If you had been a taxi driver in the mid 70s before Thatcher you would be rolling in it and probably paying for holidays from tips. You remember these days fine Mr Shull. Mining in the Paisley area aye right old yin. Any mare oh that shite and it won't be just the mods who have you on ignore ! ! !

Aye, I mind the dudes at Linwood going on strike due to lack of teabags or summat like that. 

And thanks to the lazy f**ker Unions , our family had cold meat by candlelight and no f**king Crossroads. 

GOD BLESS MARGARET THATCHER