The Politics Thread

shull

Or as others have said, OVER 50% cut on what we were originally told would be built.

So how long until it's cut back from 8?

Even if they're cut by 50% more, that's still more jobs than we would have had from this contract if we voted yes in 2014.

Great news, and the fact you and other nationalists can't see it as such speaks to your tunnel vision and group think more than anything. SNP good Tories bad, SNP good Tories bad, SNP good Tories bad.

Aye, I mind the dudes at Linwood going on strike due to lack of teabags or summat like that. 

And thanks to the lazy f**ker Unions , our family had cold meat by candlelight and no f**king Crossroads. 

GOD BLESS MARGARET THATCHER 

Spot on Shull. Dear old Maggie smashing the unions was the best thing that ever happened to this country.

We now take things like the lights staying on and fuel being readily available for granted. Something that we couldn't when the unions were in power.

30 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Of course it would be for this contract, but to lie is just a usual tory trait in referendums (how many millions for the NHS Boris after Brexit)

And are you saying for fact that if a majority had voted yes they would not have been a single other contract that the shipyard could have got?

I seen a clip the other day from a few years ago of David Cameron in a hospital ward where a number of his special advisors were stage managing a photo shoot inappropriately dressed. A consultant/doctor happened to see them and confronted them and told them to leave. They didn't until DC told them that the consultant/doctor was absolutely correct and to do as they were told and leave.

That was one of the few times that I could honestly say I looked at a Tory and trusted he wasn't playing to an audience and realising when something wrong was happening he was going to correct it for the better without any self betterment being at the heart of it.

So there you go a non tory bad guy, this time.

Bloody two-faced turncoat.

Next thing you'll be telling us, is that dickhead was once interesting.

Guest TPAFKATS

Even if they're cut by 50% more, that's still more jobs than we would have had from this contract if we voted yes in 2014.

Great news, and the fact you and other nationalists can't see it as such speaks to your tunnel vision and group think more than anything. SNP good Tories bad, SNP good Tories bad, SNP good Tories bad.

The contract for these ships has gone to Govan. That ain't gonna change now even with independence as confirmed by Bernard Ponsonby's interview report and interview with Michael Fallon

The contract for these ships has gone to Govan. That ain't gonna change now even with independence as confirmed by Bernard Ponsonby's interview report and interview with Michael Fallon

That report confirms nothing. That's why Ponsonby was so annoyed about it. Fortunately for the workers on the Clyde Scotland won't be going Independent anytime

And the Tories announced last week an extra £10bn per annum for the NHS in England. The Welsh government announced an increase in their NHS spending thanks to consequentials but the SNP have been strangely quiet. I guess they'll put that extra money into trying to stop next year's deficit looking even worse than this years.

That report confirms nothing. That's why Ponsonby was so annoyed about it. Fortunately for the workers on the Clyde Scotland won't be going Independent anytime

And the Tories announced last week an extra £10bn per annum for the NHS in England. The Welsh government announced an increase in their NHS spending thanks to consequentials but the SNP have been strangely quiet. I guess they'll put that extra money into trying to stop next year's deficit looking even worse than this years.

What a pile of wanky pish...

If Alex Neil's grandstanding had "sent shockwaves through his party" you'd have thought somebody in the party might have noticed. The reality, of course, is that the melodrama is entirely contrived by the British media. It's safe to say that, within the SNP, not a single person is shocked or outraged by the 'revelation' that some party members and elected representatives voted Leave. It isn't easy to describe exactly how unsurprised people in the party are. Casual indifference is difficult to capture in words.

This is where the mainstream media has sunk to. It is now feeding on its own anti-SNP hysteria. In a downward spiral of distortion and delusion, newspapers carry faux 'shock horror' stories based on faux 'shock horror' stories in other newspapers until the BBC can report a generalised 'shock horror' that then provides the basis for more 'shock horror' stories in the press.

Meanwhile, the sane people look on shaking their heads in weary wonder at the idiocy of it all.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

Well it's not necessarily my observation. More the comment of a growing number of party members who see the kind of top down politics of the party as a dictatorship, where no-one is allowed to raise questions that go against the party line. I've cited reports coming out of a number of district offices where the SNP's leaderships tight control of what happens has led to claims of intimidation, violence, fire raising and criminal charges by members of the party. Outside of the party we see this growing cultism where anyone who dares to question Independence or the SNP is met with a pile of abuse, threats of violence, attempts at intimidation, and what seems to be a rather serious attempt by cult members to examine every strand of the questioners life to see what they can uncover about their personal lives to try to discredit, or at least deflect from the criticism or questioning no matter how mild that criticism is. 

Look at the ridiculous behaviour of SNP supporters that you appear to feel an affinity too when they hounded Jim Murphy all around the country trying to stop him from putting forward his democratic case. Look at the online abuse of Michelle Mone or JK Rowling. Look at the criticism of the "Pet Shop Owner" in the well presented and laid out article that highlighted the flaws in the SNP claims that Scots would be richer in an Independent Scotland. Look into the behaviours of SNP party leaders in North Lanarkshire and the claims of intimination and violence that were levelled against them. Look at the hounding of Labour Party candidates and campaign helpers during the Scottish Election around the doors

You feel an affinity to these people? I think that says much more about you than anything else

I have to keep reminding myself that you are a fellow Saints suffer , but my god you sure have a twisted view on ur country

I have to keep reminding myself that you are a fellow Saints suffer , but my god you sure have a twisted view on ur country

Not at all. I love my country and I want what's best for us all. And in my opinion, until someone can show why independence is better, what's best for us all is remaining in the UK. You don't need a degree in history to see how well Scotland has done from our 300 year partnership with the English.

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Not at all. I love my country and I want what's best for us all. And in my opinion, until someone can show why independence is better, what's best for us all is remaining in the UK. You don't need a degree in history to see how well Scotland has done from our 300 year partnership with the English.

Yeah and that's fine but all this crap about how twisted the SNP are....... Fact is. If we had a decent alternative in Scotland people would vote for it. Westminster has shown is fractured and crooked for decades

SNP are showing what they are not. A Government. Its like the Save the Saints campaign becoming the manager.... (Mind U!!!) 

I am somewhat frustrated with the England Baad campaign up here, I am annoyed that SNPs don't spend more time actually running Scotland.... I am fed up with 56 MPs talking to one man and his dog, and I am totally fed up with Brexit and poor Scotland, where in fact its poor north of England that should be complaining and have no voice.

In Scotland we have grants that are not being paid out and SNP can of course make things look bad and then blame Westminster.

But when you can show an alternative that not only helps Scots, industry and the rest of UK, then ur also just part of the problem......

Going to come a stage were someone needs to come up with solutions. This is not the US campaign yet?

What a pile of wanky pish...

Guest TPAFKATS

2mins until 2.11 Bernie states that BaE later confirmed that there is nothing in the contract about it being dependant on Scotland stating within the UK.
No need to apologise, I'm sure it's just a simple oversight on your part.

• 4 weeks later...

Yet more disastrous polling results for the nationalists this week.

The latest yougov poll shows support for independence to be even lower now than it was on referendum day in Sep 14.

IMG_1480600490.498022.thumb.jpg.e466f0a0

I wish Nicola would call a vote now, she won't of course, cause she knows she will lose. She should therefore make a commitment to no referendum in this parliament, to rid the economy of the uncertainty.

I think she's the problem. She never answers a question. The tone of her voice when she speaks to people in parliament. She thinks she's always right.

I'm on the fence for Independence but hope she's never the leader of an Independent Scotland.

That's an interesting point and one I've heard a few times recently. I think Nicola is a good politician, her voting numbers speak for themselves. She knows what she's doing and she has almost god like status within her own party. It's clear she isn't getting through to those who aren't SNP supporters though.

She's caught between a rock and a hard place just now. She either calls a referendum knowing fine well she will almost certainly lose, or alienates a big chunk of her party who want indyref2 yesterday.

The other disadvantage to yessers to no indy ref this parliament is the quite possible scenario of no pro indy majority in Holyrood after the next Scottish elections. Ruth's Tories are making gains all over the place, and a recent poll showed she currently had higher approval ratings than Sturgeon. If the Tory surge continues at the current rate the SNP will remain in power in Holyrood but lose their pro independence majority. In that scenario, they couldn't call a referendum in the next parliament even if they wanted to.

11 minutes ago, TopCat said:

That's an interesting point and one I've heard a few times recently. I think Nicola is a good politician, her voting numbers speak for themselves. She knows what she's doing and she has almost god like status within her own party. It's clear she isn't getting through to those who aren't SNP supporters though.

She's caught between a rock and a hard place just now. She either calls a referendum knowing fine well she will almost certainly lose, or alienates a big chunk of her party who want indyref2 yesterday.

The other disadvantage to yessers to no indy ref this parliament is the quite possible scenario of no pro indy majority in Holyrood after the next Scottish elections. Ruth's Tories are making gains all over the place, and a recent poll showed she currently had higher approval ratings than Sturgeon. If the Tory surge continues at the current rate the SNP will remain in power in Holyrood but lose their pro independence majority. In that scenario, they couldn't call a referendum in the next parliament even if they wanted to.

Yeah, I agree with most of the above apart from the Tories becoming more popular longer term. Once the Brexit situation starts to unravel and the Tories are held to account for the mess, their popularity will collapse right across the UK.

Today they say they're prepared to pay the EU to have free access to the market and Boris is reported to say he's in favour of freedom of movement.

Watch this space.

If the Tories can manage to stay in the single market and to retain freedom of movement, I think that's a pretty good deal.

I just want the country, wether it be Independent or part of the UK to be ran by normal, "truthful" centre ground politicians. I'm fed up of the Far Right and their rhetoric and I'm equally fed up of the Far Left tree huggers who want to eat lentils and never work a day in their lives.

6 hours ago, TopCat said:

If we have a second Euro Referendum like a number of old-lag politicians like Tony Blair and John Major and others are calling for then any credible arguments against a second IndyRef are out the window.

Never say never.....................

Edited by Bud the Baker

The UK will leave the EU and when we do the whole EU will disintegrate. None of the major partners in the EU want freedom of movement anymore and if the likes of Hungary cannot have free trade with the UK, a major export market for them, they'll quit the EU.

What will be interesting will be to see if NATO will protect the likes of Ukraine and Finland if Russia continue to push expansionist plans and whether Trump will carry out his threat to leave the likes of Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia to fend for itself since they have failed to meet their NATO obligations.