The Politics Thread

shull

1 minute ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

It's not my preferred way of showing the Westminster government what we think, i'll agree on that.... but one thing it does is gets noticed, whether that's good or bad is debatable. I just hope the tories keep saying no to a referendum...see where that gets them.

Where will it get them? 

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

That's democracy for you. :rolleyes:

I agree.... so give us another referendum and if not, why not? If we're such a drain on the UK economy and couldn't make it on our own then why are they so desperate to keep us? The tories like to keep their house in order so why would they want Scotland holding them back?

7 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

In a " democracy" they can't legally stop it. That will take longer to get permission obviously but they can keep it up it's playing into the hands of the Independence movement.

Your logic is sound but has one precondition and that is that Johnson messes up. 

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Your logic is sound but has one precondition and that is that Johnson messes up. 

He's already messed up by taking Scotland out of the EU. It's obvious that Scotland as a whole want change and they definitely don't want a Tory government. I'm not convinced that Johnson is as desperate as he makes out to retain the union either, i don't believe a word the man says.

13 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

He's already messed up by taking Scotland out of the EU. It's obvious that Scotland as a whole want change and they definitely don't want a Tory government. I'm not convinced that Johnson is as desperate as he makes out to retain the union either, i don't believe a word the man says.

Eh?

HE didn't, the British public voted to leave? 

He was, as he should, carrying out the democratic vote. 

1 hour ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I'm not revisiting old arguments. We are whete we are. At present we have a Union and under the rules as they stand the majority of people entitled to vote on leaving the EU (rightly or wrongly) voted to leave. Wouldn't have been my choice. The recent UK election underlined the determination of the UK electorate to leave. 

However the question of Scottish Independence and Indyref 2 haa also been underscored by rhe voting patterns of Scottish voters who rejected leaving the EU by a large margin and both the Tory and Labour party by an even larger measure. Largely perhaps since voters in Scotland had accepted assurancea from Westminster Parties pre the Indyref vote that tge the best way to remain in Europe waa to vote No to Indyref 1. No surprise then that independence minded voters in Scotland feel a distinct lack of trust in any words eminating from the Unionist Parties. 

Now if the Tories want to throw a spoke in the Indyref wheel then they need to bring forward credible proposals to introduce a truly federal system. 

Now if the Tories want to throw a spoke in the Indyref wheel then they need to bring forward credible proposals to introduce a truly federal system. 

Like the Devo Max we were promised in 2014? "Don't leave us, lead us" they said, then the first thing they did was introduce EVEL thereby ensuring that no MP representing a Scottish seat could ever be PM. So much for leading, then.

Tried to lead again by voting Remain in 2016, ignored again.

Remind me, why would anyone believe them if they came out with shite like the federal system (again)?

Just now, salmonbuddie said:

Like the Devo Max we were promised in 2014? "Don't leave us, lead us" they said, then the first thing they did was introduce EVEL thereby ensuring that no MP representing a Scottish seat could ever be PM. So much for leading, then.

Tried to lead again by voting Remain in 2016, ignored again.

Remind me, why would anyone believe them if they came out with shite like the federal system (again)?

I think we are both making the same point. I agree.. Therein lies the problem for BoJo. 

20 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Why? what do they care about Scotland? Nicola Grew up with the Thatcher government... they couldn't care less about Scotland...

One of the reasons I have voted SNP for 20+ years is because their ethos has been about tolerance & inclusivity unlike the UKIP/BREXIT parties in England - sure their have always been nutters within the SNP but I believe they're at the margins. Abuse like the banner shown is counterproductive, you only have to look at the glee with which it's been seized on by opponents of Independence.

As far as I know AUOB who organised yesterday's march is not officially linked to the SNP but if we're gonna use events like yesterday as proof that there is widespread support for a IndyRef2 then perhaps there should be more SNP control over what messages are acceptable - I feel genuinely optimistic about gaining a second referendum  as ScotLab's previous opposition is fragmenting and I'll be interested to see how the Lob-Dems react.

Politically the next step for the SNP has to be to reach out to Labour & the Lib-Dems in Scotland and as far as possible isolate the Tories but I believe it's got to be done without abuse. 

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

One of the reasons I have voted SNP for 20+ years is because their ethos has been about tolerance & inclusivity unlike the UKIP/BREXIT parties in England - sure their have always been nutters within the SNP but I believe they're at the margins. Abuse like the banner shown is counterproductive, you only have to look at the glee with which it's been seized on by opponents of Independence.

As far as I know AUOB who organised yesterday's march is not officially linked to the SNP but if we're gonna use events like yesterday as proof that there is widespread support for a IndyRef2 then perhaps there should be more SNP control over what messages are acceptable - I feel genuinely optimistic about gaining a second referendum  as ScotLab's previous opposition is fragmenting and I'll be interested to see how the Lob-Dems react.

Politically the next step for the SNP has to be to reach out to Labour & the Lib-Dems in Scotland and as far as possible isolate the Tories but I believe it's got to be done without abuse. 

There is a fair few Indy supporters who won’t march under anything linked to AUOB. I’m not sure on the ins and outs of why as I haven’t really looked into it, but the Indy pages on Facebook have been mixed between those saying they’ll refuse to go due to AUOB, and others trying to convince them by saying it’s about independence, and how we don’t want any divisions between Indy supporters as it’s the sort of thing the opposition would thrive on.

Just now, Cornwall_Saint said:

There is a fair few Indy supporters who won’t march under anything linked to AUOB. I’m not sure on the ins and outs of why as I haven’t really looked into it, but the Indy pages on Facebook have been mixed between those saying they’ll refuse to go due to AUOB, and others trying to convince them by saying it’s about independence, and how we don’t want any divisions between Indy supporters as it’s the sort of thing the opposition would thrive on.

AUOB - Splitters!

Monty Python GIF

On 1/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, shull said:

Many times and other avenues. Our Company constantly reporting to the Council. Over the last 3 months there has been about a 10% success rate in getting proper repairs. 

The roads are in a scandalous state in the Southwest Glasgow area. Need a good memory to remember them all. 

Can hardly use rear view mirror in case I wallop a pothole at the front. 

Outrageous. 

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/potholes-are-major-growing-problem-in-south-london/

Not remotely an SNP specific issue, if you're going to place blame, why not make it across the board?

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/potholes-are-major-growing-problem-in-south-london/

Not remotely an SNP specific issue, if you're going to place blame, why not make it across the board?

Everybody is to blame from the top to the bottom. 

How hard is it to keep the roads smooth ? 

8 hours ago, bazil85 said:
On 1/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, shull said:

Many times and other avenues. Our Company constantly reporting to the Council. Over the last 3 months there has been about a 10% success rate in getting proper repairs. 

The roads are in a scandalous state in the Southwest Glasgow area. Need a good memory to remember them all. 

Can hardly use rear view mirror in case I wallop a pothole at the front. 

Outrageous. 

It might not be an SNP specific issue, BUT if it's a local council issue (Mmmmm, let's see; who is in control of the council?) then they are to blame.  I have travelled a reasonable amount in Wales and generally the roads are excellent, why is that then? ah I know it's because the SNP aren't in charge.   

8 hours ago, shull said:
8 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Everybody is to blame from the top to the bottom. 

How hard is it to keep the roads smooth ? 

I blame Taxi Drivers personally.  😎