The Politics Thread

shull

7 minutes ago, shull said:

Priti Patel.

Someone who says.. My family got in. I am OK but no more please. The place is full. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, Bud the Baker said:

It was true back in the 70s but is the party pivoted in the late 80s early 90s - so Thornberry is about 30 years out of date.

Absolutely agree Bud. 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:09 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:
On 1/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, oaksoft said:

If the regions are created as the current countries within the union with equal weight of position and only a tiny handful of issues where we come together then that could be a good compromise to full independence for me.

Can't see England willing to have joint initiatives vetoed by a single nation though.

Exactly this. That solution would kill off the Independence movement for a long time as it would actually be an equal union, with little forced on us - much like the EU, and a key reason many Scots prefer the EU to the UK. The reason the Indy movement have a decent support is because of the current lack of equality in this “union”, and what you say above would stop it in it’s tracks.

Of course as you follow on with, England will never give that up. 533 MPs against 117 MPs, it’s a great irony that those in England who voted leave due to the “European dictatorship” live in the actual dictatorship where England continually has a predominant say in what happens in the UK.

You can guarantee if Scotland had the 533 MPs and had forced an SNP majority on the rest of the UK, the English would be planning their own Indyref.

Aye an if ma auntie had baws

4 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:
12 hours ago, jaybee said:

Aye an if ma auntie had baws

Do unionists actually have any decent arguments aside from pointless rh

How dare you assume that I am a Unionist, my being succinct is a response to the consistent drivel coming from and about the SNP / Indy 2/3/4? / haggis headbangers, etc  all referring to how poor wee Scotland is being shafted by nasty big Engerland, for Christs sake; they and you should get a life and get on with your own instead of 'being the victim', having said that some people prefer to be 'the victim; it suits their objectives better.

I am a Scot, but one that is sick of all the nationalistic bullshit that I hear, I mean the majority of voters 'apparently' want to have a separate Scotland and YET when there was a vote, more wanted to stay,  but much like the remainers in Brexit, they want a recount, so Democracy is only valid if it supports your view,  all I see on here is circular arguments that are getting nowhere and as for politicians, well if  there was someone who you could believe in or trust that might be a different matter, Mr Salmond...........Nuff said and the present incumbent, well to be honest she is a joke and IMO viewed as such among most other politicians, she plays to her nationalistic audience feeding them that which they want to hear and the press lap it up, hype it up and print stuff that really should be labelled 'fantasy', which is all that it is.

If you don't like what I say, tuff, time somebody said it.

4 hours ago, jaybee said:

How dare you assume that I am a Unionist, my being succinct is a response to the consistent drivel coming from and about the SNP / Indy 2/3/4? / haggis headbangers, etc  all referring to how poor wee Scotland is being shafted by nasty big Engerland, for Christs sake; they and you should get a life and get on with your own instead of 'being the victim', having said that some people prefer to be 'the victim; it suits their objectives better.

I am a Scot, but one that is sick of all the nationalistic bullshit that I hear, I mean the majority of voters 'apparently' want to have a separate Scotland and YET when there was a vote, more wanted to stay,  but much like the remainers in Brexit, they want a recount, so Democracy is only valid if it supports your view,  all I see on here is circular arguments that are getting nowhere and as for politicians, well if  there was someone who you could believe in or trust that might be a different matter, Mr Salmond...........Nuff said and the present incumbent, well to be honest she is a joke and IMO viewed as such among most other politicians, she plays to her nationalistic audience feeding them that which they want to hear and the press lap it up, hype it up and print stuff that really should be labelled 'fantasy', which is all that it is.

Instead of labelling what I said as “drivel”, why don’t you point out the parts which are drivel? I see nothing in that quotation that is incorrect, but it would be nice to have a serious response to it if you disagree.

The 2014 vote is irrelevant these days. I’m interested myself to see who has changed their minds due to the broken promises made. I’m also interested to see the swing in EU voters - I’m of the belief that many would have voted No in 2014 due to the “only way to stay in EU is to stay in UK” bollocks. Now that the UK government has treated them with nothing but contempt, compared to a Scottish government offering support and showing interest in remaining in the EU, many of their heads could be turned too.

It is also worth pointing out that the “Scottish” Tories fought the 2019 GE on a No to Indyref2 campaign - indeed it was the only bloody thing plastered on their Scottish leaflets. The fact they were hammered by the SNP (who obviously fight it on a Indyref2 basis among other things) shows that yes, Scotland does want to have Indyref2. You can hardly claim that a 48-6 defeat was a good result and a successful campaign against Indyref2 from the Tories.

Who is Sturgeon a joke to exactly? From the Tories that’s a compliment, half of Labour is irrelevant as the likes of Murray, Thornberry and Nandy try to kill themselves off in Scotland (keep in mind most of the voters they’ve lost over the past decade have gone SNP, you should be trying to win them back, not insult them). Lib Dems are a joke party these days anyway. Tbh I’m not sure how it’s an insult when most politicians are jokes themselves. Trump and Johnson are leaders of their countries ffs, that’s the sort of thing I’d have imagined would be on a comedy sketch, not real life.

5 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Instead of labelling what I said as “drivel”, why don’t you point out the parts which are drivel? I see nothing in that quotation that is incorrect, but it would be nice to have a serious response to it if you disagree.

The 2014 vote is irrelevant these days. I’m interested myself to see who has changed their minds due to the broken promises made. I’m also interested to see the swing in EU voters - I’m of the belief that many would have voted No in 2014 due to the “only way to stay in EU is to stay in UK” bollocks. Now that the UK government has treated them with nothing but contempt, compared to a Scottish government offering support and showing interest in remaining in the EU, many of their heads could be turned too.

It is also worth pointing out that the “Scottish” Tories fought the 2019 GE on a No to Indyref2 campaign - indeed it was the only bloody thing plastered on their Scottish leaflets. The fact they were hammered by the SNP (who obviously fight it on a Indyref2 basis among other things) shows that yes, Scotland does want to have Indyref2. You can hardly claim that a 48-6 defeat was a good result and a successful campaign against Indyref2 from the Tories.

Who is Sturgeon a joke to exactly? From the Tories that’s a compliment, half of Labour is irrelevant as the likes of Murray, Thornberry and Nandy try to kill themselves off in Scotland (keep in mind most of the voters they’ve lost over the past decade have gone SNP, you should be trying to win them back, not insult them). Lib Dems are a joke party these days anyway. Tbh I’m not sure how it’s an insult when most politicians are jokes themselves. Trump and Johnson are leaders of their countries ffs, that’s the sort of thing I’d have imagined would be on a comedy sketch, not real life.

The 2014 vote is absolutely not irrelevant.

Polling tells us that views have not significantly changed since then despite all the changes which have happened in the last 7 years. None of it has had a measurable and sustained effect on the polls. You are going to have to be patient.

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:
6 hours ago, jaybee said:

Oaky's response smacks of a little bit of common sense (sadly lacking in this subject),  anyway to respond directly to your points, I did not specifically label what you said as drivel so I have emboldened exactly what I said.  Paragraph two says 2014 is irrelevant these days., to me that smacks of...we did not win it, so lets not count it.....OR... they lied to us re staying in Europe, so again the vote doesn't count, mmmmmmmm let me try that with the bookies re their odd on the horses .............and see how far it gets me.  And as for paragraph three, who gives a toss? So the SNP won in Scotland well what an absolute surprise...........NOT, some of what I have read suggests ; yes they may be a small majority that wants independence, OR not.....depends on who you ask.  Ask the younger generation and probably a lot would vote yes for a separate Scotland, ask a slightly older group and it would be less so, the point being it is not as clear cut as many would suggest. Paragraph four, gosh are you really trying to defend the indefensible? The woman is poison and it's the country she is poisoning, I wanted to vote for Labour at the last election (even though I have NEVER voted Labour in my life) But Jeremy Corbyn made BJ look like a bloody Saviour, no one in their right mind could support his fantasy policies.  My suggestion is take a deep breath and think realistically is Scotland likely to get a new referendum anytime soon? NO is the answer and honestly if you did it would be a major mistake to follow a government that was  led by someone more interested in their personal desires than that of the country.

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

Paragraph two says 2014 is irrelevant these days., to me that smacks of...we did not win it, so lets not count it.....OR... they lied to us re staying in Europe, so again the vote doesn't count, mmmmmmmm let me try that with the bookies re their odd on the horses .............and see how far it gets me. 

Paragraph four, gosh are you really trying to defend the indefensible? The woman is poison and it's the country she is poisoning, I wanted to vote for Labour at the last election (even though I have NEVER voted Labour in my life) But Jeremy Corbyn made BJ look like a bloody Saviour, no one in their right mind could support his fantasy policies.  My suggestion is take a deep breath and think realistically is Scotland likely to get a new referendum anytime soon? NO is the answer and honestly if you did it would be a major mistake to follow a government that was  led by someone more interested in their personal desires than that of the country.

You seriously can’t compare the 2014 referendum to the bookies. Promises were made to convince people to vote no. While believing a politician’s promises is questionable itself, stating things like “it’s the only way to stay in the EU” (clearly a favoured option among Scots, and indeed EU citizens themselves who were allowed to vote in Indyref as well), while also saying “don’t leave us, lead us” and then ignoring everything we say. If progress had been made since 2014 showing the Scots as an equal nation, with views being respected, Indyref2 would not be on the cards. It’s the total disdain towards Scotland since 2014 that had quickly led to the next calls for Indyref. Westminster have brought this on themselves, they had a chance to treat Scotland as an equal and they shat all over it.

Sturgeon poisoning the country? Come on mate, that’s ridiculous. You have a PM who has openly insulted black children, Muslims, Scots, working class men and single mothers. The past decade has seen the rise of right wing xenophobic racist scum like “Tommy Robinson” and his followers. Xenophobia is wide scale now, especially since the Brexit vote as some of the extreme-right wingers have been telling EU citizens to f**k off. Other right wingers blame immigrants for lack of school spaces and doctors. Things you couldn’t say a decade ago are now rife in conversation, people are actually delighted that unfortunate refugee children have been separated from their parents. It’s f**king disgusting. Xenophobic, racist abuse is much more common these days and yet you claim Sturgeon, who has often stated her support for the EU immigrants and refugees, is poisoning the country? Someone who has openly stated that any English people dissatisfied with Westminster are welcome to move to Scotland? While EU citizens are having to send their ID cards off for proof because the apps for scanning them are absolutely appalling? EU citizens shouldn’t even need to be asking for settled status ffs, they didn’t ask for this shitfest.

45 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:
2 hours ago, jaybee said:

Paragraph two says 2014 is irrelevant these days., to me that smacks of...we did not win it, so lets not count it.....OR... they lied to us re staying in Europe, so again the vote doesn't count, mmmmmmmm let me try that with the bookies re their odd on the horses .............and see how far it gets me. 

Paragraph four, gosh are you really trying to defend the indefensible? The woman is poison and it's the country she is poisoning, I wanted to vote for Labour at the last election (even though I have NEVER voted Labour in my life) But Jeremy Corbyn made BJ look like a bloody Saviour, no one in their right mind could support his fantasy policies.  My suggestion is take a deep breath and think realistically is Scotland likely to get a new referendum anytime soon? NO is the answer and honestly if you did it would be a major mistake to follow a government that was  led by someone more interested in their personal desires than that of the country.

You seriously can’t compare the 2014 referendum to the bookies. Promises were made to convince people to vote no. While believing a politician’s promises is questionable itself, stating things like “it’s the only way to stay in the EU” (clearly a favoured option among Scots, and indeed EU citizens themselves who were allowed to vote in Indyref as well), while also saying “don’t leave us, lead us” and then ignoring everything we say. If progress had been made since 2014 showing the Scots as an equal nation, with views being respected, Indyref2 would not be on the cards. It’s the total disdain towards Scotland since 2014 that had quickly led to the next calls for Indyref. Westminster have brought this on themselves, they had a chance to treat Scotland as an equal and they shat all over it.

Sturgeon poisoning the country? Come on mate, that’s ridiculous. You have a PM who has openly insulted black children, Muslims, Scots, working class men and single mothers. The past decade has seen the rise of right wing xenophobic racist scum like “Tommy Robinson” and his followers. Xenophobia is wide scale now, especially since the Brexit vote as some of the extreme-right wingers have been telling EU citizens to f**k off. Other right wingers blame immigrants for lack of school spaces and doctors. Things you couldn’t say a decade ago are now rife in conversation, people are actually delighted that unfortunate refugee children have been separated from their parents. It’s f**king disgusting. Xenophobic, racist abuse is much more common these days and yet you claim Sturgeon, who has often stated her support for the EU immigrants and refugees, is poisoning the country? Someone who has openly stated that any English people dissatisfied with Westminster are welcome to move to Scotland? While EU citizens are having to send their ID cards off for proof because the apps for scanning them are absolutely appalling? EU citizens shouldn’t even need to be asking for settled status ffs, they didn’t ask for this shitfest.

Well you actually answered your own question re politicians and their promises and again I will return to the point made earlier, if it's OK for Scottish politicians in Westminster to say f*ck you to the majority in England who voted leave and assist both Tory's and Corbynists in delaying things and muddying the waters; so to speak to the point the remainers said 'ah but people have changed their minds now, now they understand, in a word BOLLOCKS'.  And whatever in the world makes you think Scotland is equal to England?  In all our dreams that will never be the case. Population of England 56 million, Scotland 5.5 million, GDP around 2.2 billion against England 5.6 billion and for many many years 'like it or not' has been subsidised through the Barnett formula.  Am I a fan of BJ, god no! are there any politicians I trust? one or two whom I know personally and to be fair I only know about 6 who are currently active.  I would have trusted Gordon Brown unfortunately he was handed a hospital pass by the wee snide Blair (whom I wouldn't piss on if he was on fire and offering money.)  Jackie Bailey was another person of integrity as was Hugh Henry, all 'old guard' like me unfortunately.

You quite clearly are like myself an expat, nothing wrong with that, I however am not and have never been a nationalist and I can quite clearly see through Sturgeons opportunistic support for Indy whatever? It is NOT going to happen no matter how much the wee tartan jocks bleat, all it does is increase her support. Let's look at Corbyn shall we, came from nowhere made being a lefty popular again, seemingly had massive support in the party ....NOT, in reality he was the best of a bloody terrible bunch and that I am afraid is what Sturgeon is.  It is NEVER good for one party to have to much of a clear lead in the house, 'too much power corrupts' Salmond eh!.

We are in agreement with scum like Robinson and I am no fan of Xenophobia, although there is validity in 'some' of the claims made regarding how immigrants are treated in some cases to the detriment of other locals. I am not supporting this claim unilaterally just not dismissing it out of hand and having worked in this sector I do have real hands on experience, it's difficult, I know.  I will also say don't get too damn self righteous over BJ and his issues not when we still have the bigotry of the old firm happening.  I stand by my views on Sturgeon, her insistence on pursuing a separatist agenda reinforces BJ choices, and he will be viewed as strong for standing up to her whilst she diminishes any influence the Scots can have on wider affairs. It's common sense Indy whatever  is a road block to anything else useful occurring and BJ is happy for it to be so.

11 hours ago, jaybee said:

Well you actually answered your own question re politicians and their promises and again I will return to the point made earlier, if it's OK for Scottish politicians in Westminster to say f*ck you to the majority in England who voted leave and assist both Tory's and Corbynists in delaying things and muddying the waters; so to speak to the point the remainers said 'ah but people have changed their minds now, now they understand, in a word BOLLOCKS'. 

Or, alternatively, they were doing their best to give their constituents what they voted for, never going to catch on, though, is it?

And whatever in the world makes you think Scotland is equal to England?  In all our dreams that will never be the case. Population of England 56 million, Scotland 5.5 million, GDP around 2.2 billion against England 5.6 billion

Just like the UK in the EU then, just a pity Scotland doesn't have the same veto in the UK as the UK has (had) in the EU.

'like it or not' has been subsidised through the Barnett formula.

I can understand people who don't want Scotland to become independent for social reasons and the like but anyone who still believes this is in denial.

I would have trusted Gordon Brown unfortunately he was handed a hospital pass by the wee snide Blair (whom I wouldn't piss on if he was on fire and offering money.)  Jackie Bailey was another person of integrity as was Hugh Henry, all 'old guard' like me unfortunately.

If you'd said John Smith you may have got some plaudits but Gordon 'Super Devo Max Federalism v2.0' does your argument no good.

You quite clearly are like myself an expat, nothing wrong with that, I however am not and have never been a nationalist and I can quite clearly see through Sturgeons opportunistic support for Indy whatever? It is NOT going to happen no matter how much the wee tartan jocks bleat, all it does is increase her support

So you're saying that no matter what percentage of Scots want independence it's not going to happen? Really?

Sturgeon, her insistence on pursuing a separatist agenda

Imagine the audacity of the leader of a party founded to pursue independence for Scotland pursuing independence for Scotland, that should be against the law.

15 hours ago, jaybee said:

Jeremy Corbyn made BJ look like a bloody Saviour, no one in their right mind could support his fantasy policies.  My suggestion is take a deep breath and think realistically is Scotland likely to get a new referendum anytime soon? NO is the answer and honestly if you did it would be a major mistake to follow a government that was  led by someone more interested in their personal desires than that of the country.

That's exactly what we're doing by seeking independence, trying to get away from BoJos and his like.

7 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:
19 hours ago, jaybee said:

Well you actually answered your own question re politicians and their promises and again I will return to the point made earlier, if it's OK for Scottish politicians in Westminster to say f*ck you to the majority in England who voted leave and assist both Tory's and Corbynists in delaying things and muddying the waters; so to speak to the point the remainers said 'ah but people have changed their minds now, now they understand, in a word BOLLOCKS'. 

Or, alternatively, they were doing their best to give their constituents what they voted for, never going to catch on, though, is it?

And whatever in the world makes you think Scotland is equal to England?  In all our dreams that will never be the case. Population of England 56 million, Scotland 5.5 million, GDP around 2.2 billion against England 5.6 billion

Just like the UK in the EU then, just a pity Scotland doesn't have the same veto in the UK as the UK has (had) in the EU.

'like it or not' has been subsidised through the Barnett formula.

I can understand people who don't want Scotland to become independent for social reasons and the like but anyone who still believes this is in denial.

I would have trusted Gordon Brown unfortunately he was handed a hospital pass by the wee snide Blair (whom I wouldn't piss on if he was on fire and offering money.)  Jackie Bailey was another person of integrity as was Hugh Henry, all 'old guard' like me unfortunately.

If you'd said John Smith you may have got some plaudits but Gordon 'Super Devo Max Federalism v2.0' does your argument no good.

You quite clearly are like myself an expat, nothing wrong with that, I however am not and have never been a nationalist and I can quite clearly see through Sturgeons opportunistic support for Indy whatever? It is NOT going to happen no matter how much the wee tartan jocks bleat, all it does is increase her support

So you're saying that no matter what percentage of Scots want independence it's not going to happen? Really?

Sturgeon, her insistence on pursuing a separatist agenda

Imagine the audacity of the leader of a party founded to pursue independence for Scotland pursuing independence for Scotland, that should be against the law.

23 hours ago, jaybee said:

Jeremy Corbyn made BJ look like a bloody Saviour, no one in their right mind could support his fantasy policies.  My suggestion is take a deep breath and think realistically is Scotland likely to get a new referendum anytime soon? NO is the answer and honestly if you did it would be a major mistake to follow a government that was  led by someone more interested in their personal desires than that of the country.

That's exactly what we're doing by seeking independence, trying to get away from BoJos and his like.

The osingal word response to all those points you TRY to make is 'context'.  Might I suggest that before you put your I am a clever bartuard hat on, you read ALL of the preceding debate an if ye canna be bovered, ................................. please don't bover responding. 😎

The osingal word response to all those points you TRY to make is 'context'.  Might I suggest that before you put your I am a clever bartuard hat on, you read ALL of the preceding debate an if ye canna be bovered, ................................. please don't bover responding. [emoji41]
I have read ALL of the preceding debate, my first post in this debate is #15, way back in June 2016 and before you got involved. Interestingly it was refuting the 'once in a lifetime' claim.

I wasn't making 'points', I was responding to your (imo) erroneous statements. Alternatively, with my 'clever bartuard' hat on, I was responding to the points you TRY to make in your post.

8 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

I have read ALL of the preceding debate, my first post in this debate is #15, way back in June 2016 and before you got involved. Interestingly it was refuting the 'once in a lifetime' claim.

I wasn't making 'points', I was responding to your (imo) erroneous statements. Alternatively, with my 'clever bartuard' hat on, I was responding to the points you TRY to make in your post.

Touche. 

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Donald Tusk appears to welcome Scotland should it become independent and then apply to rejoin the EU. 

How much sense does it make to separate yourself from an attached land mass where people speak the same language (more or less) and where many will have family within the boarders of theat attached land mass, to become the whipping dog of a failed regime, a bit like a goldfish jumping out his bowl into a teacup. 😎 

11 minutes ago, jaybee said:

How much sense does it make to separate yourself from an attached land mass where people speak the same language (more or less) and where many will have family within the boarders of theat attached land mass, to become the whipping dog of a failed regime, a bit like a goldfish jumping out his bowl into a teacup. 😎 

How much sense does it make to remain part of a “union” in which one country has superior voting power over the rest, can foist a party majority on the rest who may literally give said party 0 total votes, when you compare this to a union who hands everyone a veto, and has much better pulling power for trade deals as a bloc of 27 than a wee island who still seems to think it’s the Empire?

2 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

How much sense does it make to remain part of a “union” in which one country has superior voting power over the rest, can foist a party majority on the rest who may literally give said party 0 total votes, when you compare this to a union who hands everyone a veto, and has much better pulling power for trade deals as a bloc of 27 than a wee island who still seems to think it’s the Empire?

No disrespect here at all; because I do subscribe to everyone having the right to their own opinion (however deluded that opinion might be) 😄.  BUT, I was watching a video on you tube the other day re Brexit and as the man in it was saying we have had the debate and four years of the democratic majority being  pissed about by the others and now we are where we are (this is of course referring to the UK and Europe) but it could also be aimed at the Scots who wont get a referendum and will still be part of the Union (like it or not)  what he said made a lot of sense ................. if you love Europe so much, then move there. 😎

Guest TPAFKATS
How much sense does it make to separate yourself from an attached land mass where people speak the same language (more or less) and where many will have family within the boarders of theat attached land mass, to become the whipping dog of a failed regime, a bit like a goldfish jumping out his bowl into a teacup. [emoji41] 
This is hyperbolic nonsense

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
3 hours ago, jaybee said:
How much sense does it make to separate yourself from an attached land mass where people speak the same language (more or less) and where many will have family within the boarders of theat attached land mass, to become the whipping dog of a failed regime, a bit like a goldfish jumping out his bowl into a teacup. emoji41.png 

This is hyperbolic nonsense

Really! then please tell me where the exaggerations are in my post? or do you actually understand the meaning of hyperbolic?

3 hours ago, jaybee said:

Are you talking about Northern Ireland? I certainly see that it makes no sense that there is a division between South and North. As to the common language.. Well those who conquer tend to ensure that their language becomes the norm. It often takes positive action to keep the indigenous languages alive as in Gaelic in both Scotland and Ireland, South and North. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Really! then please tell me where the exaggerations are in my post? or do you actually understand the meaning of hyperbolic?
The whole post is deliberately exaggerating Scottish independence.
The reference to becoming the whipped dog in a failed regime is nonsense along with the gold fish tea cup analogy.

43 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:
4 hours ago, jaybee said:

Are you talking about Northern Ireland? I certainly see that it makes no sense that there is a division between South and North. As to the common language.. Well those who conquer tend to ensure that their language becomes the norm. It often takes positive action to keep the indigenous languages alive as in Gaelic in both Scotland and Ireland, South and North. 

No I  am referring to Scotland separating itself (hypothetically, because it isn't going to happen anytime soon) from England and in effect joining Europe.. A  very wee fish in a rather large pond methinks.

Edited by jaybee
can't sperl werll