The Politics Thread

shull

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I would add the Telegraph and the Times to that list... Plus the Sun, Mirror and Record (apart from Sport) 

I always purchase the Daily Mail on a Tuesday and Friday.

Littlejohn is fantastic.

4 hours ago, theknickerwetter said:

A typical S*P response , as l already mentioned, the S*P are just like petulant teanagers , that blame everything on their parents and take responsiblity for nothing !

What you are missing is that Govanhill got a lot worse on her watch ! Their PR strapline "For a stronger Scotland" , is simply that PR , they are inept as politicians and simply not democrats which is probably why they love the undemocratic suprastate , the EU.

Pilchard herself , gets paid a fortune , more than the PM , for simply leading Scotland into the North Sea . .

Hard to believe they actually let you teach people

So the EU, where every country has a veto, is in democratic. Where the majority of laws passed are agreed on by all countries involved.

Yet you want to remain in a union where one country can outvote the three others. Where you have 800+ unelected members in the House of Lords, including people there due to ancestry, failures like Zac Goldsmith who lost nearly every election he participated in, and a bunch of party donors who expect a say in our politics just because of their paychecks. A government which isn’t even ran by the PM, but that wee rat Cummings.

Hard to believe people think the EU is undemocratic when their own country continues to be shafted by its neighbour.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

2 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

So the EU, where every country has a veto, is in democratic. Where the majority of laws passed are agreed on by all countries involved.

Yet you want to remain in a union where one country can outvote the three others. Where you have 800+ unelected members in the House of Lords, including people there due to ancestry, failures like Zac Goldsmith who lost nearly every election he participated in, and a bunch of party donors who expect a say in our politics just because of their paychecks. A government which isn’t even ran by the PM, but that wee rat Cummings.

Hard to believe people think the EU is undemocratic when their own country continues to be shafted by its neighbour.

A small point ...........the UK is one country subdivided into different nations.........but one United Kingdom, at least at the moment.

Guest TPAFKATS
Indeed sir but alas some of those who live amongst us simply can't grasp the truth and are simply unable to do their own research but the truth doesn't care who believes it

Anyway , Cpl Jones was right ....................................................................................................................................................................................
Have some koolaid, it's packed with vitamin c

41 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
16 hours ago, jaybee said:

A small point ...........the UK is one country subdivided into different nations.........but one United Kingdom, at least at the moment.

That all depends on what definition of country and nation you are using - it can all get very confusing.

Yes it can; agreed, but is it not the case that the EU would not consider Scotland as an independent country for a variety of reasons, ie, no currency of its own, and the economy of course if separated from the rest of the UK is not sufficient for their criteria. 

The United Kingdom consists of four constituent countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and although all of the last three have some degree of devolved power; ultimately the Parliament (in England)  has the final say. So in effect Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not considered an independent country in their own right,

State of play at the moment.; methinks.

ImageImage

Wow!!!  What an immense waste of the Democrats' money!

By what magic can they make it possible for Americans to vote in an election if they live in a foreign land... like the UK, for instance?

Only the French (and the Irish) have sufficient savoir faire to make that work...   Shirley?

I mean, if it's beyond the wit of Jocks to make it happen how on Earth can Frogs, Paddies and Yanks do it!?

Just like the three nations mentioned above - wherever they are in the World, all Scots who have passports could go to our UK embassies to register their votes. (Any "Unionist" party in power would surely be all in favour of that?)

Those in lower Britain, if they care enough, will take their passports to the Scottish Office in Whitehall.

Seems eminently practicable to me, but I'm "not really Scottish"(courtesy - BtB).

I am sure that there are plenty of people on the forum with insularly small enough minds to come up with a shoal  of ….

"Ah, buts..." 

:lol:

IT REALLY ISNAE IMPOSSIBLE.

19 minutes ago, antrin said:

Just like the three nations mentioned above - wherever they are in the World, all Scots who have passports could go to our UK embassies to register their votes. (Any "Unionist" party in power would surely be all in favour of that?)

Those in lower Britain, if they care enough, will take their passports to the Scottish Office in Whitehall.

Seems eminently practicable to me, but I'm "not really Scottish"(courtesy - BtB).

I am sure that there are plenty of people on the forum with insularly small enough minds to come up with a shoal  of ….

"Ah, buts..." 

:lol:

IT REALLY ISNAE IMPOSSIBLE.

Are you getting senior antrin? We've been here before it's not an issue of technology, the UK convention on referenendum's affecting constitutional issues are that only people residing in the area affected are eligible to vote.

As for your Scottishness my opinion it is subservient to your Londonness, for which you get a vote in the mayoral elections you are being denied nothing and continuing to compare apples with oranges changes nothing.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:17 PM, Bud the Baker said:

The terms of the referendum were agreed by all the political parties, the article also mentions the call for all of the UK to be involved however the convention is that only those resident in a part of the UK are allowed to vote on its sovereignty.

Other than @antrin's summer sleeping arrangements I stand by what I have posted.

PS - SNP baaaaaaaaad!

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Are you getting senior antrin? We've been here before it's not an issue of technology, the convention on referenendum's affecting constitutional issues are that only people residing in the area affected are eligible to vote.

As for your Scottishness my opinion it is subservient to your Londonness, for which you get a vote in the mayoral elections you are being denied nothing and continuing to compare apples with oranges changes nothing.

"a shoal  of ….

"Ah, buts..." 

Just not good enough. :)

BTW...

Is this Sturgeon's latest, convoluted wheeze....?

"convention on referenendum's "

Edited by antrin

6 minutes ago, antrin said:

"a shoal  of ….

"Ah, buts..." 

Just not good enough. :)

BTW...

Is this Sturgeon's latest, convoluted wheeze....?

"convention on referenendum's "

I look forward to repeating this irrelevant discussion again in a few months time when there is an election in some other far-away country of which I know nothing - in the meantime feel free to continue with your SNP baaaaaaad mantra :)

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I look forward to repeating this irrelevant discussion again in a few months time when there is an election in some other far-away country of which I know nothing - in the meantime feel free to continue with your SNP baaaaaaad mantra :)

Not 'bad' - inept.

Guest TPAFKATS
OK, but all Scots living abroad with Scottish passports can do that just now. :whistle
It's all been explained previously, more than once. Antrin doesn't want to know, prefers to believe there's a conspiracy against ex pat Scots to stop them having a say in how the country they no longer stay in is governed.

34 minutes ago, antrin said:

A passport which declares your place of birth (eg Paisley) would be suitably regarded as a Scottish Passport.

And you forgot to say, "Ah, but..." 

How far down the line do you go though?

In my case I would have lived long enough in Scotland to have probably applied for citizenship if it existed. As it happens I am a foreigner who now lives down south (with no British passport). Should I be eligible as well, or discounted because my birthplace was in Belgium? I’m more Scottish than anything else (my entire childhood was based there before I moved to Cornwall) but would I be allowed a vote, or disregarded completely?

The problem is as Slarti says, the rest have straight, clear citizenship. Until we escape the chains of the UK we will continue to have difficulties like this.

Guest TPAFKATS
A passport which declares your place of birth (eg Paisley) would be suitably regarded as a Scottish Passport.
What about one that says Blackburn?

Guest TPAFKATS
Did the electoral reform society undertake a similar study after the same general election and conclude that the results gave Johnson even less of a mandate?
What a bizarre story. I don't think I've ever seen this organisation be so political.
Unionists really are throwing the kit hen sink at this aren't they. Not even having a referendum... yet.

22 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

How far down the line do you go though?

In my case I would have lived long enough in Scotland to have probably applied for citizenship if it existed. As it happens I am a foreigner who now lives down south (with no British passport). Should I be eligible as well, or discounted because my birthplace was in Belgium? I’m more Scottish than anything else (my entire childhood was based there before I moved to Cornwall) but would I be allowed a vote, or disregarded completely?

The problem is as Slarti says, the rest have straight, clear citizenship. Until we escape the chains of the UK we will continue to have difficulties like this.

All I am asking for is that initial  acknowledgement that this is not an impossibility.  I have no current need or desire to go far down the line, at the mo.

If you have a citizenship document that says you are from Scotland, that would do.

22 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, antrin said:

What about one that says Blackburn?

No.  that wouldn't do.  Blackburn is not in Scotland.  You could vote for English devolution if that was on your passport and you lived in Scotland, I suggest?  :)

Thank you for your Ah, buts...

1 minute ago, antrin said:

All I am asking for is that initial  acknowledgement that this is not an impossibility.  I have no current need or desire to go far down the line, at the mo.

If you have a citizenship document that says you are from Scotland, that would do.

No.  that wouldn't do.  Blackburn is not in Scotland.  You could vote for English devolution if that was on your passport and you lived in Scotland, I suggest?  :)

Thank you for your Ah, buts...

FILE+Susan+Boyle+outside+home+Blackburn+Scotland+16rE_tJ18Spl.jpg

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

That's Blackburn, West Lothian and it's most famous resident - now you know I'm sure you'll be passing through on your charabanc sometime soon...

Jolly good.  I was whooshed.  :)

It also functions as a serviceable "Ah, but..."