The Politics Thread

shull

If Scotland do gain independence, what industries do we have, where’s the revenue coming from?
There will be no more fiscal transfer prop ups. Is there a guarantee that Scotland would get back into the EU? I believe the Scottish Government need to be transparent on how our economy will be set up before any vote on independence is granted. I hope they don’t try to work that one out after the fact.
How’s the Tax, pensions, currency for example going to work?
These things need to be cast in stone to let voters know what they’re potentially walking into.

Probably in the same sort of way it worked when Czechoslovakia split into two separate countries. It's not as if it is a new phenomenon.

Probably in the same sort of way it worked when Czechoslovakia split into two separate countries. It's not as if it is a new phenomenon.

I’m not really interested in Czechoslovakia, I’m interested in finding out how Scotland are going to fair....... or not as the case may be.

I’m not really interested in Czechoslovakia, I’m interested in finding out how Scotland are going to fair....... or not as the case may be.

Why not? It's probably the most amicable division of a country in history. 

As for Scotland, since there is no "divorce agreement" yet, then things cannot be laid out in black and white. For example, we don't know how much rUK would pay or what it would concede to have Scotland host its nukes until they can build somewhere suitable to house them.

A UK pension being paid to someone in Scotland would be the same as one getting paid to someone in, for example, Spain.

Currency? What we decide to use. We can use any currency we want. OK, there are underlying problems if there is no agreement with the country that "owns" the currency, but we could still do it. So, in my opinion, the currency question is not as big of an issue as it was presented by the

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJony6h_tQ&app=desktop

campaign last time round.

13 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

If Scotland do gain independence, what industries do we have, where’s the revenue coming from?
There will be no more fiscal transfer prop ups. 
How’s the Tax, pensions, currency for example going to work?
These things need to be cast in stone to let voters know what they’re potentially walking into.

What fiscal transfer prop ups?

Do you think Scotland is handed more money than it brings in?

If so, where do you think the RUK is getting that money from?

From international borrowing perhaps?

Would we be unable to access that as an independent country?

Edited by oaksoft

33 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

What fiscal transfer prop ups?

Do you think Scotland is handed more money than it brings in?

If so, where do you think the RUK is getting that money from?

From international borrowing perhaps?

Would we be unable to access that as an independent country?

Are the GERS figures not the best source of data on Scotland finances ?

https://www.gov.scot/publications/government-expenditure-revenue-scotland-gers-2019-20/

1 hour ago, lenziebud said:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/government-expenditure-revenue-scotland-gers-2019-20/

No there are problems with that data. I can't remember what it is but it can't be trusted.

I think it had something to do with including proportionate costs for projects like those based solely in England being put in Scotland's debt column, such as HS2 etc. Now that might be reasonable within the context of the UK but it wouldn't be happening post independence. That makes it look like Scotland spends more than it brings in but clearly that is not true if this is the sort of thing being added to the expenses column.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by oaksoft

No. GERS shows Scotland's "income and spending" as part of the UK, not as an independent country. It includes things like "Scotland's share" of defence spending in England and the cost of nukes and excludes things like the Crown Estate.

No there are problems with that data. I can't remember what it is but it can't be trusted.
I think it had something to do with including proportionate costs for projects like those based solely in England being put in Scotland's debt column, such as HS2 etc. Now that might be reasonable within the context of the UK but it wouldn't be happening post independence. That makes it look like Scotland spends more than it brings in but clearly that is not true if this is the sort of thing being added to the expenses column.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
For a change, you're not. [emoji38]

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Labour waking up and smelling the coffee? 

0255EA9F-93E7-44A3-9FFE-0180BB8BAD63.jpeg

Not really. He's just refusing to talk about anything except the election in May. He doesn't want to be accused of getting ahead of himself.

He's made his view pretty clear. He won't support another referendum.

• 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

58% support for Independence and rising! It’s happening folks. Yoonies have no coherent answers. Lovely

Looking at the two data curves for Yes and No, the spread of polling results for each side has tightened dramatically from the start of this year. It's pretty clear that the respective responses to covid have caused this tightening. Before 2020, the spread of results was really all over the place. This does look like a more sustained increase in support for Yes.

Still a bit short of the 60% mark I would prefer to see from one of the two sides so that we can put this issue to bed permanently either way but it's heading that way.

1 hour ago, cambiebud said:

58% support for Independence and rising! It’s happening folks. Yoonies have no coherent answers. Lovely

The EU are now trolling Westminster over the issue...:lol:

In an indication of the new opening, Barnier told MEPs on Tuesday that Downing Street needed to offer Scottish fishermen an opportunity to develop fisheries in their own waters, in light of the growing independence sentiment in Scotland.