The Politics Thread

shull

Oops

http://www.scotsman.com/news/court-rules-against-scottish-government-s-named-person-policy-1-4188345

The SNP aren't doing very well with the implementation of their policies. First the European Courts rule that their minimum pricing on alcohol racket is unlawful, now it's the UK courts ruling that their policy of appointing a government snoop to interfere in family lives is illegal too - a breach of the European Convention on Human Rights no less. Who'd ever have guessed it, eh? Well apart from the many millions of people who told them it they were flawed policies infringing on personal freedoms. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

And finally, for this morning, I see a You Gov poll released today shows that 25% of Scots don't want another Indy Referendum until at least 2030, whilst a further 17% said Scotland should never have another Independence Referendum. Only 16% of Scots wanted a Referendum on Scottish Independence as soon as possible. The same poll also showed that while 22% of Scots believed another referendum might have a positive effect on the Scottish economy, a whopping 46% thought that it would cause huge damage the Scottish economy.

The game is over for Sturgeon and her pals. She should resign

I'm sure I've seen this kind of behaviour before. I just can't put my finger on when it was. I remember the images though. You know the one. They were black and white photos of people encouraging others not to do business with establishments where the owner might not share the same political views as the ruling party. Shop fronts marked with a star or with the word "jude". Who was it that did that again? I'm pretty sure they were Nationalist as well weren't they.

Perhaps someone can help me out?

Well First, I m not going to disagree I may well be a passionate Nat, but anyone with half a brain knows if there was a Ref tom it would have to be No, and would show the SNPs as desperate and stupid.. I would vote No tomorrow

Apart from England, Tory Baaad, there is no strategy to Independence. I am a bit old fashioned. I reckon Independence should be gained on the battlefield , blood, death and suffering. Not Key board warriors. Hardly grounds for that just yet , But also shows why the movement is so weak,and lets face it, the Tories are hardly concerned. Scotland is not an issue for rUK. Far to many English people, companies and Land Owners add to that Scots who simply want Union.

Until SNP- Come up with workable exciting solutions on

Pensions, Health, EU, Currency and Security , this is a wasted game by SNPs. If they react, they lose. Scotland is still split and Nicola seems to have forgotten 2 m Scots voted to Stay in, and 1m Scots voted to leave EU. Address that before we make a complete arszze of it again.....

Stu, I did say to SNP are not a govt they are a movement. They may well hold power but as shown in 2014- They cant have a plan,,, well aprt from Oil being $110 a barrel and a shared currency.

I have a pension and like most this cannot be a leap of faith.

Well First, I m not going to disagree I may well be a passionate Nat, but anyone with half a brain knows if there was a Ref tom it would have to be No, and would show the SNPs as desperate and stupid.. I would vote No tomorrow

Apart from England, Tory Baaad, there is no strategy to Independence. I am a bit old fashioned. I reckon Independence should be gained on the battlefield , blood, death and suffering. Not Key board warriors. Hardly grounds for that just yet , But also shows why the movement is so weak,and lets face it, the Tories are hardly concerned. Scotland is not an issue for rUK. Far to many English people, companies and Land Owners add to that Scots who simply want Union.

Until SNP- Come up with workable exciting solutions on

Pensions, Health, EU, Currency and Security , this is a wasted game by SNPs. If they react, they lose. Scotland is still split and Nicola seems to have forgotten 2 m Scots voted to Stay in, and 1m Scots voted to leave EU. Address that before we make a complete arszze of it again.....

Stu, I did say to SNP are not a govt they are a movement. They may well hold power but as shown in 2014- They cant have a plan,,, well aprt from Oil being $110 a barrel and a shared currency.

I have a pension and like most this cannot be a leap of faith.

Good for you Doug. It's nice to see people eventually realising that the SNP offering is just hollow self serving nonsense.

I'm a passionate Scot. I love my country. I want what's best for all my fellow Scots. That's why I vote Conservative and that's why I voted to remain part of the UK. Separatism would severely damage the Scottish economy now and, if we follow SNP economic models, forever. You'd have to be mad to vote for them whilst believing they are fighting for anyone but themselves

5 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Good for you Doug. It's nice to see people eventually realising that the SNP offering is just hollow self serving nonsense.

I'm a passionate Scot. I love my country. I want what's best for all my fellow Scots. That's why I vote Conservative and that's why I voted to remain part of the UK. Separatism would severely damage the Scottish economy now and, if we follow SNP economic models, forever. You'd have to be mad to vote for them whilst believing they are fighting for anyone but themselves

Stu, as I said SNP is the vehicle to independence , after that, its down to the government, Tories or Labour or both. But the time for that is certainly not now. Its time to keep heads down and battle on whilst Brexit forms. It is actually weakening our hand and I totally get why the English are barracking Nicola. Its a time to plan and work on solutions not base a split based on 10% of the vote of the UK that said stay in Scotland.

So agree but also disagree with you. We a are both Scots. Oaksoft its okay no swords !!! 

Just to be clear here, the connect of independence for Scotland is not all about the SNP, and what they think, want, and intend.

Just thought I'd clarify that.

It might have been the case in the pre devolution when the Margo Mcdonald, Jim Sillars and Winning Ewing were claiming if the majority of Scots voted SNP theyd all resign to cause a constitutional crisis. But we've seen the reality now. They've got all but three Scottish MP seats at Westminster but the only two "resignations" were politicians having the SNP whip removed from them whilst the alleged indiscretions are investigated whilst they hold onto their seat, wages and generous expenses.

The SNP has had a taste of power and they aren't for moving over without a fight no matter if they have independence or not.

8 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I'm sure I've seen this kind of behaviour before. I just can't put my finger on when it was. I remember the images though. You know the one. They were black and white photos of people encouraging others not to do business with establishments where the owner might not share the same political views as the ruling party. Shop fronts marked with a star or with the word "jude". Who was it that did that again? I'm pretty sure they were Nationalist as well weren't they.

Perhaps someone can help me out?

He never encouraged anyone to boycott Barrhead Travel. He just mentioned that he gets his euros elsewhere during a twitter discussion. Hardly a Hollyrood argument or political statement. Total non-story. 

2 hours ago, BoWSaint said:

He never encouraged anyone to boycott Barrhead Travel. He just mentioned that he gets his euros elsewhere during a twitter discussion. Hardly a Hollyrood argument or political statement. Total non-story. 

Sounds a bit stronger than "just mentioning that he gets his Euros elsewhere... no?

Writing on Twitter, the controversial Glasgow Shettleston MSP said:

“I’m boycotting Barrhead Travel as they’re on the No side.
Got euros elsewhere.”

Good way for a Scottish MSP to help promote a Scottish employer, is it not?