The Politics Thread

shull

15 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:
Sounds a bit stronger than "just mentioning that he gets his Euros elsewhere... no?

Writing on Twitter, the controversial Glasgow Shettleston MSP said:

“I’m boycotting Barrhead Travel as they’re on the No side.
Got euros elsewhere.”

Good way for a Scottish MSP to help promote a Scottish employer, is it not?

...and then when challenged he claimed that "sensible companies stayed neutral". 

There's little doubt what is intentions were and it's in no way as harmless as BoW Saint makes out. Sadly this is the kind of mindset of many nationalists. We still see the abuse today that Michelle Mone and JK Rowling get from so called Cybernats. Even on here we see the venom saved for Sir Ian Wood by nationalists. Indeed a quick search shows that nationalist websites still hold lists of companies that backed a No Vote and there are even sites and Facebook pages still calling for a boycott. 

Indeed so ridiculous is the campaign it's had international coverage and ridicule. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/what-would-geoffrey-say?utm_term=.neL2YodOw#.ax0gR1784

http://www.news.com.au/world/scottish-independence-voters-urge-boycott-of-brands-that-campaigned-no-in-referendum/news-story/1915d45589c14c214e2da54c57aeb760

To be honest I'm not quite sure how that tit Tommy Sheridan would get by without wearing womens lingerie but hey you never know....:rolleyes: 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:
Sounds a bit stronger than "just mentioning that he gets his Euros elsewhere... no?

Writing on Twitter, the controversial Glasgow Shettleston MSP said:

“I’m boycotting Barrhead Travel as they’re on the No side.
Got euros elsewhere.”

Good way for a Scottish MSP to help promote a Scottish employer, is it not?

Can you not accept that the main point is that he didnt encourage others to boycott this company?

Mason is another in a long line of religious fruitcakes who believes, like all religious fruitcakes, that his narrow minded, bigotted view of the world should be imposed on others by law regardless of whether it affects him personally or not.

For anyone to be quoting him as an authority on anything fundamentally undermines their argument.

15 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I'm sure I've seen this kind of behaviour before. I just can't put my finger on when it was. I remember the images though. You know the one. They were black and white photos of people encouraging others not to do business with establishments where the owner might not share the same political views as the ruling party. Shop fronts marked with a star or with the word "jude". Who was it that did that again? I'm pretty sure they were Nationalist as well weren't they.

Perhaps someone can help me out?

We've already established that any attempt by you to take the moral highground by posting these exaggerated insults is hypocritical, offensive to the people you are pretending to sympathize with, and as usual ill informed - if you study the history of boycotts you'll see that the vast majority were instigated by the oppressed rather than the oppressors.

The thing that I find amusing is that Mason sounds pretty much like you, here's a quote from the "Link between supporters and club" - are you and Mason related?

13 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Are you not? Does the local community not matter to you? What about all this talk of "one club" "one town".

You might well be right about the decision to change production from a local company. Maybe the local firm is so stowed out with orders they couldn't take the business of a 1000 football programme print run.

What I'm trying to establish though is the principle of the new owners. I was promised community was at the forefront of their business model so now the takeover has happened and their in the seat I want to see them stay true to their word. I made it clear it was a condition of my membership - as I'm sure most people on here are very aware.

On top of that there's your decision "like" pozbaird's post about boycotting Barrhead Travel - you were being mocked! :rolleyes:

Edited by Bud the Baker

27 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

We've already established that any attempt by you to take the moral highground by posting these exaggerated insults is hypocritical, offensive to the people you are pretending to sympathize with, and as usual ill informed - if you study the history of boycotts you'll see that the vast majority were instigated by the oppressed rather than the oppressors.

The thing that I find amusing is that Mason sounds pretty much like you, here's a quote from the "Link between supporters and club" - are you and Mason related?

On top of that there's your decision "like" pozbaird's post about boycotting Barrhead Travel - you were being mocked! :rolleyes:

Oh dear. I wasn't agreeing with Pozbaird. I liked his post because I found it funny. Believe it or not I have a sense of humour. Maybe you should try and find one....:rolleyes: 

I can't see the similarity you draw though. I am a member of SMiSA who as an independent supporters organisation is supposed to give members a voice that can be heard in the boardroom of football clubs. I don't think Mason is a shareholder or a board member at Barrhead Travel. Obviously since I am still a member of SMiSA I haven't boycotted them, and quite clearly I haven't made any effort to entice others to boycott SMiSA either - in fact quite the opposite. I have actually played a role in recruiting members to SMiSA. Tell me are you a member yet? And thirdly I am not trying to silence SMiSA, or any of their members from having an opinion that might not agree with mine. Far from it. My post appears to have generated discussion, most, if not all, taking a different viewpoint to mine. I'm right though, and they are all wrong but you and I both know that already, don't we? :rolleyes: 

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:13 AM, Stuart Dickson said:

Oh dear. I wasn't agreeing with Pozbaird. I liked his post because I found it funny. Believe it or not I have a sense of humour. Maybe you should try and find one....:rolleyes: 

I can't see the similarity you draw though. I am a member of SMiSA who as an independent supporters organisation is supposed to give members a voice that can be heard in the boardroom of football clubs. I don't think Mason is a shareholder or a board member at Barrhead Travel. Obviously since I am still a member of SMiSA I haven't boycotted them, and quite clearly I haven't made any effort to entice others to boycott SMiSA either - in fact quite the opposite. I have actually played a role in recruiting members to SMiSA. Tell me are you a member yet? And thirdly I am not trying to silence SMiSA, or any of their members from having an opinion that might not agree with mine. Far from it. My post appears to have generated discussion, most, if not all, taking a different viewpoint to mine. I'm right though, and they are all wrong but you and I both know that already, don't we? :rolleyes: 

Maybe I do you a disservice over pozbaird's post - but on balance I reckon not. A guy who's too Stu-pid too realize he's contradicting what he's said on a dozen other threads can't be expected to recognize irony.

You're threatening to boycott SMiSA and you famously withdrew your support from the club :rolleyes: in protest at Tom Hendrie's sacking so you boycott when it suits, although in fact you didn't have the balls to see it through and remained hanging around like a bad smell until the BoD eventually sold out. I'm not accusing you of enticing others to boycott just pointing out that your actions are similar to Mason's and your criticism is hypocritical.

Of course the purpose of it all is revealed in your penultimate sentence - you're lonely and you want some attention.

Edited by Bud the Baker

9 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

My post appears to have generated discussion, most, if not all, taking a different viewpoint to mine.

It's OK to take a contrary view Stuart but you clearly enjoy doing so simply for the effect it has on others.
You have a long history of arguing one way and then arguing exactly the opposite depending on what other forum users are saying in response.
Only you can know why you bother winding people up like this.
Maybe you are bored. Maybe you are lonely. Either way you add very little of value to any discussion.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Slash said:

Bumpity bump bump.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37634338

Aw feck here we go again.

Ach, I don't think we need worry.  It's all just talk to keep the punters engaged.

Nicola and her party are a wee bit like Farage.  Single issue parties.

They did their job.  They got an answer.

The one that Farage got was better for him, of course.  So he listened to the electorate.

SNP now has to govern Scotland - and there is no reason why they shouldn't make a decent fist of it.

Wish they'd pay attention to that job - instead of casting around for straws to clutch.

9 minutes ago, antrin said:

Ach, I don't think we need worry.  It's all just talk to keep the punters engaged.

Nicola and her party are a wee bit like Farage.  Single issue parties.

They did their job.  They got an answer.

The one that Farage got was better for him, of course.  So he listened to the electorate.

SNP now has to govern Scotland - and there is no reason why they shouldn't make a decent fist of it.

Wish they'd pay attention to that job - instead of casting around for straws to clutch.

I voted Yes in the original referendum but I found the whole process, and the aftermath thoroughly depressing.

I'm not sure I can really face going through it all again so soon but at the end of the day Brexit looks like it is going to be an absolute disaster for the UK.

If the SNP can guarantee that an independent Scotland would retain it's place in the EU then that would be a big factor in persuading me to vote Yes again.

That said, the collapse of the Oil Industry is a big concern, they'd need to cut away all the fluff that was in the original white paper and document how we could be self sustainable standing on our own two feet without the revenue from Oil that we based the last argument on.

I couldn't care less about keeping the pound to be honest but it seemed to be one of the main reasons why No won the last time out. We need a proper solution and a clear answer on currency if it was going to fly this time out. IMO.

It's a bit of an empty threat without an acceptance by the WM Govt that they would ratify the result of any indyref2 which I doubt they will. Will we go all Catalonia, sure-fire way if guaranteeing a massive yes vote but ultimately meaningless. Brexit will make or break it I suppose so it ramps a bit more pressure on the Tories if little else

Guest TPAFKATS

There's no reason why Scotland can't be an independent country. All the reasons given are scare mongering. Scores of countries manage to be independent without having the 'problems' that we are told Scotland will have.
With regards oil, again we appear to be the only country to have had 40 years of oil wealth and yet we are in (UK) debt and told it's a liability.

It comes down to a simple choice between wanting to be independent or remain in UK.

What if, in time, Brexit proves a positive move, with fears of deportation and halted immigration proving fruitless... and increased trade with the rest of the world proving financially better for Scotland without the EU restrictions?

Not saying that will happen... I truly don't know.

Neither do the doomsday naysayers though... So...

What if?

18 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

It's a bit of an empty threat without an acceptance by the WM Govt that they would ratify the result of any indyref2 which I doubt they will. Will we go all Catalonia,

I went there last week!!!  :)

Naw... wait.  It was Catania...

My daft. Sorry.  Much  Moretti birra had been partaken.

There's no reason why Scotland can't be an independent country. All the reasons given are scare mongering. Scores of countries manage to be independent without having the 'problems' that we are told Scotland will have.
With regards oil, again we appear to be the only country to have had 40 years of oil wealth and yet we are in (UK) debt and told it's a liability.

It comes down to a simple choice between wanting to be independent or remain in UK.

Voted YES the last time like many feel it's too soon the last independence was vile at times. The one thing that bothers me is a short fall of 15billion that's a lot of money to find though I'm sure it can be brought down with us throwing out nuclear subs. I know a family of 6 who voted NO. if we can stay in Europe they said they would vote YES this time.

Voted YES the last time like many feel it's too soon the last independence was vile at times. The one thing that bothers me is a short fall of 15billion that's a lot of money to find though I'm sure it can be brought down with us throwing out nuclear subs. I know a family of 6 who voted NO. if we can stay in Europe they said they would vote YES this time.

If Yes won last time an iScotland would currently be negotiating with the IMF for a fiscal bailout. Thank goodness they didn't, what a bullet dodged.

Since we are throwing anecdotal evidence about, I know of zero no voters who are thinking of changing to yes this time. I also know several yes voters who - Like yourself - have rightly been made very uneasy about the financial black hole in the SNP's white paper.

I hope she calls the date ASAP. My prediction is an even bigger win for no than last time.

It's a busted flush. At the end of the day all people are going to care about it whether they will be wealthier in the UK or in an Independent Scotland. And given the SNP got their projections so embarrassingly and so massively wrong in the White Paper last time out they are really going to struggle to convince anyone that they can be trusted going forward. 

You can't blame the SNP for trying though. Lets face it, whilst there is an Independence argument raging on they seem to get away with shite management of the country. No-one even questions when they compromise their own "beliefs" like they did recently after so many years of kidding on they were green only to then support a third runway at Heathrow.