The Politics Thread

shull

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

You'll find that most folk won't or don't want to initially highlight a sex offence because of the sickening nature of it.

The list of Tories currently charged with offences never mind those found guilty is shameful. Any other organisation would have been shutdown.

Why are you talking about the Tories?

It's Salmond who is in court.

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

You'll find that most folk won't or don't want to initially highlight a sex offence because of the sickening nature of it.

The list of Tories currently charged with offences never mind those found guilty is shameful. Any other organisation would have been shutdown.

You're having a laugh? 

I'd bet my mortgage that the usual suspects would be all over any Tory who had a list, aye, 14, like the fish man.

Dear oh dear, massive fail. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:19 PM, TPAFKATS said:
On 1/17/2020 at 10:12 PM, BuddieinEK said:
Not once during my lifetime have I felt that any vote was to change the UK political system... Just to vote in a different version of the same Londoncentric lunatics!

Things have changed now.

For example...

There is a growndswell of oponion that the House of Lords is undemocratic and should be replaced.

When has that ever been an issue before?

I'm sure Labour will commit to abolishing it soon.

I'm told its timed to coalesce with the leprechauns bringing out their pot of gold for polishing.  😎  

18 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Yes and the only one whom I consider to have any integrity amongst them is Jess phillips, who has as much chance of winning as I have of scoring Sunday against Aberdeen

Don't run yourself down mate, have you seen our front line ?

Do you have two legs ?

On 1/20/2020 at 4:35 PM, antrin said:

There are 200,000 French nationals in London alone.  Dunno how many Paddies in the UK.

THEY ALL MANAGE TO HAVE VOTES BACK HOME.

(I thought there were only 80, 000 Scots south of the border?

They have relevant Passports. At the moment we have BRITISH passports so you can't compare like for like. If you live in England, even if you sometimes work in Scotland, you are not a resident therefore you shouldn't expect to vote on something which will alter the status quo in Scotland. Unless ALL of the UK had that right.

On 1/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, theknickerwetter said:

Scotland currently has the worst debt in Europe , under the mismanagement of the Pilchard regime the worst unemployment in the UK , and the lowest wealth per-capita .

How can Scotland have the worst debt in Europe when it’s supposed to be part of the UK?

How can Scotland have the worst debt in Europe when Holyrood has never been allowed to overspend? (Certainly for the majority of its existence, I’m unsure if that’s changed in the last three years but either way, again can’t be possible to rack up a debt to that extent in three years)

And presuming this was actually true, surely it should send alarm bells ringing saying we need out of the Union considering under Westminster rule we have this much debt?

18 hours ago, stlucifer said:

They have relevant Passports. At the moment we have BRITISH passports so you can't compare like for like. If you live in England, even if you sometimes work in Scotland, you are not a resident therefore you shouldn't expect to vote on something which will alter the status quo in Scotland. Unless ALL of the UK had that right.

Until the new one that I've just got, my place of  birth was on the passport.  That could be a clue?

And why shouldn't ALL of the UK have input into a decision that affects all of the participants in the UNION?  Scotland arbitrarily disrupting the free movement of people and goods will alter the status quo both sides of the border. 

My sadness is that nationalist Scots want to run away from a UK wide struggle against Capitalism, turn their backs on supporting the other exploited parts of Britain that have been impoverished. A small historic loophole is being exploited and I can see no reason, no logic in how 'freedom' can make a difference?

The system of Capitalism is not going to vanish just because Nationalists are briefly in power.  Scotland's big market with south of the border will still be there, if you're lucky,

London is not going to go away - and THAT is the big dislocating influence for all of the UK. 

17 minutes ago, antrin said:

Until the new one that I've just got, my place of  birth was on the passport.  That could be a clue?

And why shouldn't ALL of the UK have input into a decision that affects all of the participants in the UNION?  Scotland arbitrarily disrupting the free movement of people and goods will alter the status quo both sides of the border. 

My sadness is that nationalist Scots want to run away from a UK wide struggle against Capitalism, turn their backs on supporting the other exploited parts of Britain that have been impoverished. A small historic loophole is being exploited and I can see no reason, no logic in how 'freedom' can make a difference?

The system of Capitalism is not going to vanish just because Nationalists are briefly in power.  Scotland's big market with south of the border will still be there, if you're lucky,

London is not going to go away - and THAT is the big dislocating influence for all of the UK. 

I have probably changed my view on independence. I still believe that Scotland could be a successful independent country. That hasn't changed. What has changed is Brexit. I am now in favour of a Federal System within the UK with each participating part having the right of veto. My view could change again however depending on what happens in NI in relation to EU membership. 

I have probably changed my view on independence. I still believe that Scotland could be a successful independent country. That hasn't changed. What has changed is Brexit. I am now in favour of a Federal System within the UK with each participating part having the right of veto. My view could change again however depending on what happens in NI in relation to EU membership. 

How far do you take that federalism? Are you taking each nation to have federal status or further, should each region get a seat at the table, and who decides the definition of region? You've indicated you favour this but with no detail it is just a statement favouring a concept what are you favouring in practical terms?

5 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

How far do you take that federalism? Are you taking each nation to have federal status or further, should each region get a seat at the table, and who decides the definition of region? You've indicated you favour this but with no detail it is just a statement favouring a concept what are you favouring in practical terms?

My preference in a UK scenario would be to give Countries and Regions equal billing subject to a veto being available. 

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Does being born in Scotland make you Scottish?

I'm in no way saying that you aren't Scottish, I'm just pointing out the flaw in your argument.

Considering that it was just the Scottish and English parliaments that voted for the original union (not everyone had a say) and both had to say yes, maybe both Parliaments should just have a vote to see if they want it to continue. If one says no, then it ends. Easy peasy. default_whistling.gif

It wasn't my argument, though.  It was my response to STLUCIFER's other nationalities HAVING passports that made them capable on voting when they were overseas.

In MY case (the only one of significance for me) I AM Scottish. Everyone who encounters me believes me to be VERY Scottish. 

I ALSO think that both parliaments should have a vote about the continuation of the Union - which is the case, currently.  One of them says yes - so it continues.  Easier - Peasier.   :P

My preference in a UK scenario would be to give Countries and Regions equal billing subject to a veto being available. 
Again and sorry to labour the point but if we accept there are currently 4 countries, where are the regions coming from, are you suggesting that the English regions have equal billing to Scotland or do you mean countries or regions and again define regions?

5 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:
3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Again and sorry to labour the point but if we accept there are currently 4 countries, where are the regions coming from, are you suggesting that the English regions have equal billing to Scotland or do you mean countries or regions and again define regions?

What I am saying is that if there is to be  United Kingdom then things need to change. I accept our unique status as a country as I do that of Wales. NI confuses me in this sense. I would expect English Regions to have a seat at the table.. If.. If.. There is a UK.  How Regions would be defined is without a challenge. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Well how would you define the regions? I ask this because it is fundamental to the success of any federalist idea that people accept what these regions are. If for example we look at the northern powerhouse idea, the 'north' definition would be unacceptable to those living there as a single entity. The most simple and easiest changd to implement would be a change in the electoral system rather than artificially inventing internal borders.

45 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Well how would you define the regions? I ask this because it is fundamental to the success of any federalist idea that people accept what these regions are. If for example we look at the northern powerhouse idea, the 'north' definition would be unacceptable to those living there as a single entity. The most simple and easiest changd to implement would be a change in the electoral system rather than artificially inventing internal borders.

I think 3 things might be required. New Upper House, Regional Assemblies and a PR system. The regions are something that a commission drawn from across the UK would need to consider.