shull

Thread To Discuss An Independent Scotland.

2 hours ago, antrin said:

BTB disnae believe that first sentence.  :whistle

He claimed it was impossible for people like me - like you describe - to be a passionate Scot without going on independence marches and waving wee flags.

or just by living in Lovely London, within sound of the Brexit Bongs....  :P

Erm no I said you couldn't be a proud Londoner and Scot and that your Scottishness was sentimental - you've made your choice and are able to vote in the London Mayoral elctions.

I am of the opinion that Independence outweighs the benefits of the Union for Scotland. I look at BJ claiming that Brexit not prevent open trade with the rest of the world and lead to beneficial trade deals for the UK but that Scottish Independence will lead to a closed border then listen to English Tory MPs at Westminster howling at the SNP leader Ian Blackford and wonder why they want to stop us leaving, they clearly don't like us and this is the mainstream of current Tory politicians.

All of which seems to be contradicted by the Chancellors statement today that we would not be aligned with EU regulations post Brexit, so no frictionless trade with them anyway and all aboard the Train towards the 19th Century!

Edited by Bud the Baker

On 1/16/2020 at 9:45 PM, oaksoft said:

Yes and that's the entire problem for those advocating independence. There isn't the support for it yet. Let alone nonsense about simply declaring independence.

If Yes was polling at over 70% then I'd say that simply declaring independence was the way to go bu we are probably an actual generation or more away from that sort of support.

I do agree here. Declaring independence here and now would be the wrong way to go and would only harm the Yes movement.

I agree with the second point also. I think the numbers will keep growing but the likes of 70% is not near us yet.

22 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Equally, it is entirely normal to be a passionate Scot but believe if the political system changed, the benefits and security of the Union are a benifit.

2014 should have been the wake up call. 45% of Scots were dissatisfied with the status quo. Long term the balance of a 5% swing isn’t much, and Westminster should have acted on that to show us the Union is worth it. Instead they’ve ignored Scotland’s MPs unless Tory, they totally ignored Scottish views on Brexit and we’ve seen absolutely no change in the treatment of Scotland.

Westminster had their chance to prove the Union was good. They had their chance to treat us as an equal. Boris’ rejection of Indyref2 should be the final straw that proves Scotland is stuck under the Westminster dictatorship.

23 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:
On 1/17/2020 at 4:47 PM, bazil85 said:
It's the connotations that go along with the word but I feel you knew that given the "that took longer than I expected" comment. 

My question was not directed at you. Kindly piss off pants on fire boy!

No, I’m allowed to respond if I want. You were given your chance to end our engagement, you showed you desperately needed it 😁 

you’re welcome. 

No, I’m allowed to respond if I want. You were given your chance to end our engagement, you showed you desperately needed it  

you’re welcome. 

You were not "responding", you were interrupting. Craving attention as always.

Now piss off stalker pants on fire boy.

I have no desire to hear from you. You commented on a question from me to someone else. Not to you. None of your business.

Now crawl back to your fantasy world and geez peace!

(I knew you would miss me and crumble eventually!)

18 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

You were not "responding", you were interrupting. Craving attention as always.

I was responding, you’re wrong again. 

Now piss off stalker pants on fire boy.

i don’t think I will thanks. This seems to annoy you as much as the FACT you’ve never once shown me lie. 😂

I have no desire to hear from you. You commented on a question from me to someone else. Not to you. None of your business.

Why should I believe you? You’ve made several such claims & haven’t once managed to stay away? Still irrelevant, I’m allowed to respond to any post I want on here. 

Now crawl back to your fantasy world and geez peace!

(I knew you would miss me and crumble eventually!)

Aw petal, good bit of reverse psychology. It’s visible for everyone to see you broke your request, not the other way around  😁

On 1/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Erm no I said you couldn't be a proud Londoner and Scot and that your Scottishness was sentimental

It's not your place to present statements like this as factual.

As much fun as it is to wind antrim up about these things, it's a pretty arrogant position.

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Erm no I said you couldn't be a proud Londoner and Scot and that your Scottishness was sentimental

It's not your place to present statements like this as factual.

As much fun as it is to wind antrim up about these things, it's a pretty arrogant position.

Well the backstory was @antrin complaining about having no say in the previous and upcoming Independence referendums, I pointed out he no longer lives in Scotland and that he is able to vote for the Mayor of the city where he lives.

The choices people make define them and I stand by my opinion (one which I am fully aware won't be shared by everyone), it cuts both ways I'm more than happy to accept immigrants who want to stay in Scotland as proud Scots..

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

You missed out that he resides in Scotland for half the year. emoji6.png

I didn't know, he didn't say!

I presume he must have made a decision to make London his "official" residence.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I dunno how often I have posted on here that I work and live in Scotland April to October.

(Mostly Inverness and Orkney now - used to go all over Scotland...  

...though I do still lead one regular group on Scottish Hills - and that can be anywhere.  This year in Galloway and Arran.)

Not that it matters in this instance as BtB is making his irrelevant objective decisions about something that is extremely subjective to me.

He simply knows not of what he speaks.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:52 AM, cockles1987 said:

Wish you'd used another Tories leaflet. emoji24.png

Although I have the displeasure of knowing Mr Kerr reasonably well and for fairly long time. And although is everything you say he is, he is by no means the worst of the tories, only the most honest.

44 minutes ago, antrin said:

I dunno how often I have posted on here that I work and live in Scotland April to October.

(Mostly Inverness and Orkney now - used to go all over Scotland...  

...though I do still lead one regular group on Scottish Hills - and that can be anywhere.  This year in Galloway and Arran.)

Not that it matters in this instance as BtB is making his irrelevant objective decisions about something that is extremely subjective to me.

He simply knows not of what he speaks.

Apologies but I've never seen this information before - maybe it was posted by bluto! :P

I still don't see how it makes my original point irrelevant as you still get a vote, in London not Scotland (which you confirmed in the original argument) which must be your choice - like I said you're not being denied a vote.

I do know of what I speak - no-one is entitled to two votes! 

Edited by Bud the Baker

12 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

I believe Antrin was previously highlighting that those living outside of the UK and have no residence here could vote in the Brexit referendum but he couldn't vote in the Scottish independence referendum in his circumstances.

And yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how wrong they are. emoji14.png

The circumstances being that he gets a vote in London Mayoral elections, not Scottish Independence referendums, both internal UK elections - no-one is entitled to two votes.

He was denied nothing and it's comparing apples with oranges that is wrong! emoji14.png

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Apologies but I've never seen this information before - maybe it was posted by bluto! :P

I still don't see how it makes my original point irrelevant as you still get a vote, in London not Scotland (which you confirmed in the original argument) which must be your choice - like I said you're not being denied a vote.

I do know of what I speak - no-one is entitled to two votes! 

I was denied a vote by self-seeking politicians.

(there are no other kinds, but the point is relevant.

Civilised countries such as Ireland and France are not only capable of giving their countryfolk a vote even if they are living in London, they are proud to do so.  That is democracy in action.  It has happened for decades now.

THAT has always been my point.  Scotland believed it was too difficult, yet still thought it practical to sell votes buy support from students who had just arrived from... well... anywhere...

Scotland was unable to provide  a simple service for its nationals that other countries were doing.   Maybe this is a sign Scotland isn't ready for the big stage?

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The circumstances being that he gets a vote in London Mayoral elections, not Scottish Independence referendums - no-one is entitled to two votes.

He was denied nothing and it's comparing apples with oranges that is wrong! emoji14.png

Absurd comparison, BtB, old fruit!

What bearing does a local council election have on a "once-in-a-lifetime" referendum, other than that French and Irish people could vote on a London Mayor AND still be allowed to vote in all opportunities available in their home lands?

Or should I accept that it was just yet another thing that the SNP was incapable of organising?  :whistle

58 minutes ago, antrin said:

Absurd comparison, BtB, old fruit!

What bearing does a local council election have on a "once-in-a-lifetime" referendum, other than that French and Irish people could vote on a London Mayor AND still be allowed to vote in all opportunities available in their home lands?

Or should I accept that it was just yet another thing that the SNP was incapable of organising?  :whistle

Except it wasn't simply the SNP (baaaaaaaaaaad!) who signed up to the terms but all the major parties and the rules are also the same for past & presumably future referendums in Northern Ireland.

Professor John Curtice cited the precedent of the Northern Ireland sovereignty referendum of 1973 (the "border poll"), which allowed only those resident in a part of the UK to vote on its sovereignty.[

Like I said comparing apples and oranges.

Edited by Bud the Baker