The Politics Thread

shull

Just as general an observation...

arriving from “anywhere” as a student, immigrant or refugee in Scotland and almost immediately being regarded as Scottish-enough to participate In such a vote seems to me to be equally as arbitrary.

But it wasn't a vote for Scots, it was a vote for those that live in Scotland.

As I previously asked, what makes someone Scottish? Being born here, lives here, has one Scottish parent, one Scottish grandparent, one Scottish great-grandparent, likes whiskey, has eaten haggis, just feels Scottish?

For example, is Richard Gough Scottish? Is Rod Stewart? Is Sean Connery? Is Donald Trump? Should any of them get a vote?

Guest TPAFKATS
I wasn't suggesting Scots don't have passports.
I was pointing out that a Scots government may choose to do this, same as the other independent states that you mentioned in your post.

At the moment they are unable to do this as passports are UK.

Guest TPAFKATS
Just as general an observation...
arriving from “anywhere” as a student, immigrant or refugee in Scotland and almost immediately being regarded as Scottish-enough to participate In such a vote seems to me to be equally as arbitrary.
Can you clarify if students or others immediately get a vote?
If they do this will be same as rest of UK, not sure they all do though?

Is it only EU nationals who work and study here who get a vote which will be a reciprocal agreement? For now at least.

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm pretty sure that isn't how it worked though.

They had to be here for a few years before qualifying to vote if I recall correctly.

It's hardly arbitrary though. They live and work in Scotland and so got a vote.

You did neither so didn't qualify. Is that the strains of a tiny violin I hear in the background? :P

You forgot, didn’t you?

ALL my work was in Scotland..  April to October.

9 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

I wasn't suggesting Scots don't have passports.
I was pointing out that a Scots government may choose to do this, same as the other independent states that you mentioned in your post.

At the moment they are unable to do this as passports are UK.

UK Passports and other documents (as I pointed out above)  can show place of birth.

just another excuse.

(feeble)

Guest TPAFKATS
UK Passports and other documents (as I pointed out above)  can show place of birth.
just another excuse.
(feeble)
Is that it then, purely based on place of birth?
That's a fair number of my friends no getting a vote...

34 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Is that it then, purely based on place of birth?
That's a fair number of my friends no getting a vote...

As usual, in this thread, eedjits reading only what they want into a response, because they lack the logic to follow a thread’s  argument.

Unless, of course,  the “fair number of my friends no getting a vote” are not Scottish, living outside Scotland, yet are desperate to participate in that specific, speculative, unlikely to happen Vote that we are discussing...

sigh...

...or should I just say, “fuxake!”?

Guest TPAFKATS

Where’s my friend Ricky when he’s sorely needed?
Perhaps we need a new thread started...
From the comments on this one, it seems that nowadays it...
Seems Not Ok To Be An Ex-Pat.   [emoji20]

Isn't an ex-pat just another example of British exceptionalism?

Ex-pat = immigrant.

Although I'm not sure you can be an ex-pat if you remain in the UK.

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
Isn't an ex-pat just another example of British exceptionalism?

Ex-pat = immigrant.

Although I'm not sure you can be an ex-pat if you remain in the UK.

No.  It’s not.  It’s a term in general use.

if you don’t know something then it’s best to find someone or some source who/which does.

wikipedia is often a sound starting point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate

I hope this helps?  :)

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Where’s my friend Ricky when he’s sorely needed?

Perhaps we need a new thread started...

From the comments on this one, it seems that nowadays it...

Seems Not Ok To Be An Ex-Pat.   :(

Ricky is exactly where he deserves to be.

BTW, it's perfectly OK to be an ex-pat. Who is saying otherwise?

1 hour ago, antrin said:

if you don’t know something then it’s best to find someone or some source who/which does.

I hope this helps?  :)

Yeah but it applies usually to those with high skills or artists or professionals.

Does driving a bus count as high skilled?

You are a Scottish immigrant. That is clearly the best word to describe your circumstances. Embrace it. Own it. Preach it. :D

I have to say, this thread has turned out to be a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS

I hope this helps?  [emoji4]

Ah Wikipedia. Careful with that or you'll be accused of googling knowledge [emoji849]

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah but it applies usually to those with high skills or artists or professionals.

Does driving a bus count as high skilled?

You are a Scottish immigrant. That is clearly the best word to describe your circumstances. Embrace it. Own it. Preach it. :D

I have to say, this thread has turned out to be a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

When I emigrated from Scotland, I had and also developed all those skills noted above.  I still deploy several.

My Bus driving gig is slightly more than you imply (though driving a tour bus with its precious cargo requires professional training and yearly refreshers - so, yes - it is VERY skilled).

The gig also entails being a tour guide and all the other facets that fit into that - honed during my highly skilled and artistic, professional,  skill-packed life.  I've been lucky with all I've had thrown at me.

I can't embrace being a Scottish immigrant.   I'm simply  not one.

I may be an English immigrant but not a Scottish one.  Perhaps you're just wrong again? 

This is slightly more entertaining, I agree.  :) 

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

I was referring to his current situation...

Sorry, yflab.  You're just trying to jump on this bandwagon and change the argument.

Aye, you're now trying to single out my current situation when the grumpy begrudgers with whom I've been discussing this generally say that "Och, that wisnae how it was last time!"

Minds have to be made up.  If the dream of another "vote in a generation" is to happen, you really ought to be aware that situations can change and thus be adapted.

I am offering up just such a potential and deserving adaptation, I believe.   :)

Sorry, yflab.  You're just trying to jump on this bandwagon and change the argument.

Aye, you're now trying to single out my current situation when the grumpy begrudgers with whom I've been discussing this generally say that "Och, that wisnae how it was last time!"
Minds have to be made up.  If the dream of another "vote in a generation" is to happen, you really ought to be aware that situations can change and thus be adapted.

I am offering up just such a potential and deserving adaptation, I believe.   [emoji4]
Believe aw ye want, yer still no' gettin' a vote. [emoji38]

22 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Ach I was bored and just looking to disrupt things. Why don’t you sell up doon south and move back home. You could probably afford to buy a castle overlooking some lochs and mountains. And you could still get to drive your bus when tourism picks up again.

We were thinking of selling one of our flower beds and buying Fife.  :rolleyes:

We both love London though so much is closed down right now... things improving too slowly.  :(

We've often looked at moving out - even to Scotland.  Embra (Brunstane, on the beach, came close - only 7 minutes into Waverley by train) got the seal of approval but the usual unrelenting thought kept butting in, wherever we have looked at...

How long does it take to get to London?

Ramsgate (which we are both growing fond of) great coast, views of France/Belgium, many marvellous pubs and restaurants and theatres and a cinema (relatively cheap property, too), even has a Waitrose and is only 72 minutes into Kings Cross... still too far.

We are still alive enough to be in love - with London.

She thinks that, like sheep, we're now "hefted to the hill" we live on.

Edited by antrin

8 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I worked in London for many years. Sadly I don’t have the same affection for the place as you do. If we were all the same life would be boring. For someone like you who loves the great outdoors of Scotland I don’t get your love in with London. Still things could be worse. We could be delivering 🍕 like Oaky.

We're literally surrounded by Epping Forest. (OK, on 2 sides...) 

There's 339 sq kms.

With lakes, plains, hills, ponds and a gazillion trees. 

From our hill I can see London Eye, Parliament, Telecomms Tower, The City.

When home and fit, I run in it every day. 

It's pretty outdoorsy.

Though I'm not going outdoors, right now. :angry:

Stuck in, waiting for a Sloppy Guiseppe and an American Hot!

You can't get good delivery boys these days...

Edited by antrin