Gunni Torfason

Excellent article in yesterday's Sunday Sun about Iceland and their progress in the European Championship.Now 52 he mentioned his love for St Mirren and will never forget his happy days in Paisley. Is it not possible to forge some relationship with him in an effort to get some of Iceland's young talent over to Paisley.Surely Tony will still have some contact with him.

49 minutes ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Excellent article in yesterday's Sunday Sun about Iceland and their progress in the European Championship.Now 52 he mentioned his love for St Mirren and will never forget his happy days in Paisley. Is it not possible to forge some relationship with him in an effort to get some of Iceland's young talent over to Paisley.Surely Tony will still have some contact with him.

When I first went to see St Mirren we had an Icelandic striker called Thor Beck or Tottie Beck was his nickname. St Mirren beat Rangers 3-2 at Ibrox and Rangers signed him the next week.

He then disappeared from the scene.

Therolf (Tottie) Beck played three seasons in Iceland, three seasons with us, two with the blue bigots then one in France and one in the US before going back to Iceland. He also was a manager there for a while but quit in the 70's. He died at only 59 in 1999. Good player.

4 hours ago, Kendo said:

When I first went to see St Mirren we had an Icelandic striker called Thor Beck or Tottie Beck was his nickname. St Mirren beat Rangers 3-2 at Ibrox and Rangers signed him the next week.

I`m sure it was the following season they signed him!

7 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

I thought Torfason has a "relationship" with the blue bigots. Think he is a scout there.

Might be wrong though!!

9 hours ago, rabuddies said:

Therolf (Tottie) Beck autographedthree seasons in Iceland, three seasons with us, two with the blue bigots then one in France and one in the US before going back to Iceland. He also was a manager there for a while but quit in the 70's. He died at only 59 in 1999. Good player.

Got a St Mirren v Thistle programme from early 60s autographed by Tottie Beck

I'm trying to think of how many free kicks he actually scored. In addition to the above, I can think of three others at the moment. At home to Hearts and away to Motherwell and Dunfermline (where he also missed a penalty).

He also scored the winner at Easter Road with an overhead kick.

The first sighting of him was in a pre-season win over Queens Park at Lesser Hampden, where he scored both goals. I remember the buzz about him that night. We knew we were on to something, and that Paul Chalmers' days were numbered.

Definitely a guy to put bums on seats, or indeed shoes on concrete, as it was then.