St Mirren v Ayr United League Cup Group G 19/7/16

shull

Just now, murray street said:

just seen it again there, it was a great save by the ayr keeper.

Any penalty that is half the height of goals is an easy save to make. Good penalty saves are few and far between.

Edited your last post pretty quickly about match has went to penalties well done on your quick editing.

alex rae says he gave the team a rollocking at half time, we then came out and dominated second half.

Conditions were stifling, rae says he will push players to the hilt and if they don't put in the effort

he will dig out individual players, he wants determination and never say die attitude, 

I love what I am hearing from our manager, go on alex. :)

Edited by murray street

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Any penalty that is half the height of goals is an easy save to make. Good penalty saves are few and far between.

Edited your last post pretty quickly about match has went to penalties well done on your quick editing.

cheers Ronnie, take yesterday off for that.

In my opinion it was an excellent save by the keeper, in your opinion it wasn't, thats life.:)

FT 1-0

3 points job done.

Ayr are going to be one of *those* teams then. Not looking forward to our four up-coming games against them TBH. They came here to try kick us off the park and snatch a 0-0. And credit to them it almost worked. I can understand McCalls thinking tbf, if I had that set of players I would employ that tactic too.

In the end we had too much for them and thoroughly deserved the win. Lewis Morgan is an outstanding talent, another MOTM performance from him this evening.

Barring a shock result at home to Edinburgh City, that win virtually assures our place in the knock out phase in the league cup. Mission accomplished, league fixtures now please.

Their right back will be sleeping with the lights on tonight. Morgan terrorised him in the 2nd half. Worth the admission money alone.

We deserved it I thought for the 2nd half performance. Great the attacking options we have now. Defence looks solid too. Still a wee question mark over the midfield. Hope Quinn is okay.

Just in, what a dire game, the result and performance of Morgan were the only positives.

And what a performance it was from Morgan, especially 2nd half, running constantly at their defence, tremendous.

It was hot out there and undoubtedly influenced the play.

Anyway 2 wins out of 2, can't grumble.

Goalmouth stramash to win it.

Largely shite game, but I wasn't discouraged by the performance. Very much a pre-season game, and plenty to be optimistic about. Morgan MotM by a country mile. Plenty of options to change things, and the defence looks like a decent unit (again, with options).

The punt to Sutton wasn't really working as he is clearly short of sharpness. We looked more effective when we played the ball on the ground. 2nd half dominated, but need to be more clinical. That should come as the match sharpness improves.

On the penalty, it was a very good save. It was in front of where I was sitting, and Mallan hit it well enough. Yes, a decent height for a keeper to save, but he guessed correctly, got across well, and got his hand to it with conviction.

Definitely more a case of a good save than a bad penalty.

Edited by Drew

Lewis Morgan was shining light tonight. Rest would struggle for pass marks. Humid conditions and so early in July didn't help but basic passing and route one balls which achieved nothing did not fill me with optimism for this season. Early days though and we cannot complain about two wins on the bounce.

The reaction of the players when the goal went in certainly convince me that all the players are all pulling together for the club :thumbs2  Anybody know why the police was removing a fat guy, that was topless and with his joggers hanging off of his arse   :lol:    in the toilets just at the start of the 2nd half ? It also looked as if he was giving his season ticket over to a steward when just outside the toilet. This was in the west stand.

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

Goalmouth stramash to win it.

Largely shite game, but I wasn't discouraged by the performance. Very much a pre-season game, and plenty to be optimistic about. Morgan MotM by a country mile. Plenty of options to change things, and the defence looks like a decent unit (again, with options).

The punt to Sutton wasn't really working as he is clearly short of sharpness. We looked more effective when we played the ball on the ground. 2nd half dominated, but need to be more clinical. That should come as the match sharpness improves.

It might have been a bit more effective had he had a chance of winning the ball but in the first half most of the kicks to him were miles above his head.

Pish game, great penalty save and tremendous display from Lewis Morgan. Most of his runs finished with him being flattened or making a pass or cross - rarely did he lose the ball.

Totally shit and forgettable first half. Second half a lot better namely due to Morgan and taking off Gallagher as there was no width whatsoever on the right and bringing on Shanks up front to run at Ayr. Thoroughly deserved in the end as we shit but far better than Ayr and had far more chances to win it.

Moan of the night was again the Away fans in the West Bank. The Family stand is Open but almost empty. Could easily move those there into one half and allow the Away support into the other half. Or the same with the Main Stand. Hardly anyone in the 3 sections at either end. These 3 sections could amalgamate and put the Away support in Sections 1,2 and 3. But no, squeeze them all into the West Stand and limit the facilities for Home Support. The sooner the fans take over the Club the better and we can sort out this anomaly for fans in the West Bank.

Poor game overall barring the last 5-10 mins. As already been mentioned, Lewis Morgan was stand out tonight, particularly in the second half he was outstanding.

Great to have Shankland back and he gave us an extra edge going forward when he came on.

Still early doors and we got the job done, which at this stage is all that really matters.

On to Saturday, a very winnable game.

COYS