St Mirren v Ayr United League Cup Group G 19/7/16

shull

I don't remember either keeper making a decent save, and very few catches from crosses or corners either.

Positives from the first half - Baird's last ditch tackle which saved a goal after Naismith set up Ayr when there was no danger... Langfield dived too early and was beaten if Baird hadn't made the tackle. The midfield wasn't getting over run... a marginal improvement on last year... Hutton looked OK despite being heckled by the row behind me for the last 15 minutes of the first half. New strips looking quite good. The weather. All in all, after 45 minutes it was looking like more of the same from last year and while I wasn't expecting an exponential improvement with many of last year's team in the starting XI I was disappointed that we looked awful to watch, oh and Naismith was offering very little going forward and looked as bad as ever defensively.

Second half was much better especially after the subs came on. I thought Walsh was a big improvement on Gallacher he had two good runs taking men on and looked like he could be a threat on either wing but I also don't remember him giving the ball away and he had a good first touch. As others have said, getting the ball down and up to Morgan quickly swung the match for us. He had a few great runs and bits of trickery to set up a few attacks before winning the penalty with a great attacking run. If he plays like that regularly we will do well to hold on to him by the end of the season. Having Morgan on one wing and Walsh on the other finally meant we had a bit of pace and width and skill and there was more time for Mallan and Hutton in the middle once we had Ayr stretched on the flanks.

Not a great performance but we deserved the win in the end... don't think Langfield had a save to make all game, Ayr had very few shots off target either. Very pleased we ground out a win, and won with the last kick of the ball. I think Ayr will do OK in our division as a stodgy hard to beat team that keeps going for the 90 minutes. I think the Championship will be very tight with not a lot of difference in squad strength from top to bottom, and I take heart that even if we might not be brilliant this year I think Rae has got a stron, physical, fit, organised squad and I will not be surprised if we edge out a lot of close games this season.

A win's a win , but it was a pretty poor performance all round. Thought Morgan was outstanding , even late in the game when he could have been forgiven for being knackered. With plenty players still waiting for their chances , I thought Hutton was very poor in central midfield , no composure and poor awareness ,  and Gallagher will do well to hold down a regular place !

I think Irvine is worth a mention. Plenty of drive and energy, despite the heat, and did try to get forward when he could. Clearly not an attacking full back, but has good positional sense and communicated well with his teammates. I was encouraged by his showing.

The right side looked more vulnerable. Gallagher guilty of drifting inside, and leaving huge spaces. It was an eagerness to win the ball, but a bit naive, and is something that could be exploited by better teams. Naismith looking a bit away from match sharpness, but I won't be condemning him on the basis of one early season game.

Cant remember the last time I was so encouraged by a Saints players performance. Ive never seen Morgan before but what a delight to see a tricky winger go at a defence and with no little skill either. Hope he can keep this up, he looks a player. On the downside, however, the defence looks shaky again, Naismith is poor, and I thought the No11 was awful. Sutton merely confirmed his carthorse status.

A win was just about deserved but whilst its early in the season, a vast improvement is required if any chance of promotion is possible. In the meantime, give me more of Morgan.

Typical preseason game, which is what it essentially is. Lots of players looking off the pace a little, but still grinding out a win. Baird came in and looked alright, got the goal. We've four centre halves to choose from, so Rae looks to be giving them all gametime and minutes, and will be gauging what the best partnership is. Hutton certainly got stuck in, Mallan looked a bit muted, Gallagher was upstaged by the impressive Morgan on the other wing, nice touches from Clarkson, plodding performance from Sutton, Naismith needs games, Shankland made the difference when he came on. Ayr looked solid enough and will be no mugs in the league.

Onwards and upwards. 

What happened to the ball boys last night ? I know the club can penny pinch but surely doing without them on the  main and West stands side is silly.

Can't really see the ball boys being on a big salary.

They had ball boys behind the goal, possibly school holidays had a part to play.

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I was in the Main Stand and could see 4 ball boys on the West Stand side but they were all sitting down and not really getting involved.

Maybe someone should check they are still breathing :rolleyes:  Never saw 1 throw the ball to any player during the game.