Goody the Legend at Alloa Athletic Thread

shull

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Oh "gpody" another debate about a player that's gone and has already been discussed to death.

Some people should let the past go.

Try telling THAT to a sevco fan.

(Or just talk to yourself.. :whistle. )

ps who or what's "gpody", anyway... :unsure:

10 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Goodwin is at the level he is capable of now. His brain is still all there but his legs don't follow. Thanks for the memories and all that....move on...

Jim Goodwin's legs are just a year older than Mo Farah's legs.

Maybe Mo should just come home and run a local 10k road race instead?

15 minutes ago, nosferatu said:

Jim Goodwin's legs are just a year older than Mo Farah's legs.

Maybe Mo should just come home and run a local 10k road race instead?

Age has nothing to do with it. David Weir played into his 40s, Goodwin's legs won't let him do the job he used to. He might well do a job with Alloa in a league where most teams are part time and are lower in quality.

Jim Goodwin - great guy, and a cup winning legend for St Mirren.

However, he has left and will not be coming back. We can debate the whys and wherefores of this till the end of time, but it won't change that reality.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Jim Goodwin - great guy, and a cup winning legend for St Mirren.

However, he has left and will not be coming back. We can debate the whys and wherefores of this till the end of time, but it won't change that reality.

In signing players, in St Mirren's recent history, no matter if it has been Danny Lennon, Ian Murray or Alex Rae, the mantra has pretty much been 'are they better than what we have already'? The pertinent question is, having let Goodwin go - and freeing up a wage in doing so - has what Alex Rae replaced him with been better. I'd say 'definitely no'.

Correct - Goodwin isn't coming back, so we move on, but Rae's midfield looks like it has a lot of holes in it. One hole clearly being Jim Goodwin shaped. Rae needs to get it sorted. Lose Rocco Quinn and St Mirren's midfield is pretty much fcuked? Is thst really where we are!?

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

In signing players, in St Mirren's recent history, no matter if it has been Danny Lennon, Ian Murray or Alex Rae, the mantra has pretty much been 'are they better than what we have already'? The pertinent question is, having let Goodwin go - and freeing up a wage in doing so - has what Alex Rae replaced him with been better. I'd say 'definitely no'.

Correct - Goodwin isn't coming back, so we move on, but Rae's midfield looks like it has a lot of holes in it. One hole clearly being Jim Goodwin shaped. Rae needs to get it sorted. Lose Rocco Quinn and St Mirren's midfield is pretty much fcuked? Is thst really where we are!?

To be honest, I can't really recall hearing Gus' old mantra being trotted out of late. 

It seems to me that issues such as strength of personalities, best fit, and who a manager reckons he can manage have increasingly entered the equation.

In Rae's defence, Hutton was QofS's player of the year last season.  As such, he might reasonably have expected that he was getting an able replacement for a player who he felt (for whatever reason) had reached the end of his time with the club.  I, for one, am willing to give Hutton more time before judging him.

We are all pretty much in agreement that central midfield is the weakest area of the squad. Jim has moved on, though, and good luck to him, but I'm more interested than what is happening at St Mirren right now. The past is just that.... the past.

Edited by Drew
Typo

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

To be honest, I can't really recall hearing Gus' old mantra being trotted out of late. 

It seems to me that issues such as strength of personalities, best fit, and who a manager reckons he can manage have increasingly entered the equation.

In Rae's defence, Hutton was QofS's player of the year last season.  As such, he might reasonably have expected that he was getting an able replacement for a player who he felt (for whatever reason) had reached the end of his time with the club.  I, for one, am willing to give Hutton more time before judging him.

We are all pretty much in agreement that central midfield is the weakest area of the squad. Jim has moved on, though, and gooduck to him, but I'm more interested than what is happening at St Mirren right now. The past is just that.... the past.

You're fooling no-one with your final sentence....you still want Mehmetinho back! Let it go, just let it go. 

Just now, pozbaird said:

You're fooling no-one with your final sentence....you still want Mehmetinho back! Let it go, just let it go. 

If Jim returned tomorrow, I wouldn't be unduly upset about it. Ain't happening, though.

There was a possibility that Mehmet could have returned, but it wasn't to be. I've moved on. That's what I'm suggesting others might want to consider.

Good try, though:wink:

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

If Jim returned tomorrow, I wouldn't be unduly upset about it. Ain't happening, though.

There was a possibility that Mehmet could have returned, but it wasn't to be. I've moved on. That's what I'm suggesting others might want to consider.

Good try, though:wink:

I still want Guni back. Hey-ho.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Could the same phrase not have also applied to Goody if he were still here?

Perhaps the wages saved on Goody has meant more to the team that just Quinn being in place.

Who would be a manager.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

We are all pretty much in agreement that central midfield is the weakest area of the squad. Jim has moved on, though, and good luck to him, but I'm more interested than what is happening at St Mirren right now. The past is just that.... the past.

He did, but it was one of several such awards presented by various supporters clubs. The majority of the awards went to their young leftback whose name escapes me but was outstanding after coming from relative obscurity. Clearly he must have had a good season to win the award (although one of the other winners was seemingly embarrassed about his own accolade!) but he probably wasn't their overall player of the year.

Anyway, I agree with much of what else you say. It's a bit harsh to judge a guy after so few games. I thought he did reasonably well on Saturday - seemed to be good at winning the ball but didn't know what to do with it. If he turns out to be not quite as Goodwin but spends less time attracting referee's attention as he didn't have the reputation it'll work out as a good move.

Anyway, in tribute to shull whenever there's a thread about a former player - GTPS!

Hutton can win a ball ok but hasn't a clue after that. Most times he passes to Mallan - the only other midfield player in the side! The problem is lack of numbers in the midfield. We cannot play with two strikers and two wingers leaving only Hutton and Mallan in midfield.

6 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Age has nothing to do with it. David Weir played into his 40s, Goodwin's legs won't let him do the job he used to. He might well do a job with Alloa in a league where most teams are part time and are lower in quality.

so if age has nothing to do with it, why would his legs not be able to let him do the job he used to?

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Hutton can win a ball ok but hasn't a clue after that. Most times he passes to Mallan - the only other midfield player in the side! The problem is lack of numbers in the midfield. We cannot play with two strikers and two wingers leaving only Hutton and Mallan in midfield.

Leicester managed to play okay last season with 2 wingers and 2 strikers

Edited by nosferatu

2 hours ago, Stu said:

If he turns out to be not quite as Goodwin but spends less time attracting referee's attention..

I had to laugh at Willie Collum moaning about being typecast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36694913

I wonder if he's well rounded enough to appreciate that the below is equally applicable to the numerous indisputable cases of Jim Goodwin being booked for f*ck all due to his pantomime villain status:

Some pundits, media and even managers have been pointed in their criticism of him.

"Sometimes I've been treated harshly," he says. "At times, I'm losing before I even blow the first whistle and that's unfair.

"What disappoints me at times is when people make it personal, or you feel it's a witch hunt and people are constantly talking about you. I would rather people focus on the positives."

1 hour ago, nosferatu said:

Leicester managed to play okay last season with 2 wingers and 2 strikers

Ah, but their four front men played deep and relied on the break which meant they were effectively the midfield for a lot of the game as they soaked up the pressure. It also involved intelligent balls played with good delivery into space for the front guys to run on to - not a mindless hoof up the park. If we played Hardie and Shanks as the front two and they played deep along with Walsh and Morgan then it could work for us. However I do not see the manager trying that out unfortunately.

1 hour ago, nosferatu said:

so if age has nothing to do with it, why would his legs not be able to let him do the job he used to?

Everyone is different. If every player was the same they would all continue to 40 without difficulty. Based on watching him since he came to St Mirren there is no doubt that he slowed down towards the end of his time, compared to when he arrived.