Hamilton Accies v St Mirren League Cup Group G 23/7/16

shull

If played on grass outcome could have been different. If ref had booked their players early in game as he should have, outcome could have been different. If we had scored our chances, outcome could have been different. .....................etc.

We got what we deserved plain and simple. Midfield absent with no creativity. Movement too slow. No pressing. Mallan should have been off before Gallagher who at least was putting in some effort. Too predictable with high ball to Sutton and Morgan was always surrounded by 3 of them. Would have been worse if not for Langfield.

It may still be pre-season but it's a cup competition and as such deserved a better attitude from our team.

We will probably still make it as one of best 2nd placed provided of course we can somehow better our goal difference against Edinburgh!

Liked the away strip.

Left back is definitely a concern. By alot of accounts Irvine had another nightmare again today, and the problem is he's really our only left back.

That definitely needs to be a priority position to address before the end of August.

Jordan Stewart is primarily a left back.

However, on yesterday's showing, we need more than a left back.

Canning had told his players that we would use the high ball into the box at every opportunity, so they knew what was coming. Our lack of alternatives to this strategy was quite obvious. There was no creativity at all through the middle.

The one thing that did seem to cause chaos in their defence was the long throw when we packed the box. Our best chance came from ne of these. With the height we've got in the team, we really should be causing "lesser" teams trouble from this option.

Edited by FTOF

I thought Irvine was one of the better players TC not that it's says much. Hamilton doubled up on Morgan and kept Sutton and Clarkson tightly marked and it was job done for them. All they had to do after that was pick off St Mirren on their mistakes.

Morgan fell asleep at the first goal. Naismith and Mallan were wasteful in possession. Webster was too slow, Hutton was ineffective and I can't remember Gallagher doing much of note during the game.

Just like the Livingston game there was no off the ball movement and an over reliance on Morgan to create something.

I get Rae's philosophy about there being a dearth of creative players in the scottish game who are good enough to trust playing a possesion style game. That said a pretty poor Hamilton side pumped us by playing for possesion!

we need Rae to establish more than one formation, otherwise well drilled sides will render us ineffective by playing the percentages. 

I thought Irvine was one of the better players TC not that it's says much. Hamilton doubled up on Morgan and kept Sutton and Clarkson tightly marked and it was job done for them. All they had to do after that was pick off St Mirren on their mistakes.

Morgan fell asleep at the first goal. Naismith and Mallan were wasteful in possession. Webster was too slow, Hutton was ineffective and I can't remember Gallagher doing much of note during the game.

Just like the Livingston game there was no off the ball movement and an over reliance on Morgan to create something.

Also lets not forget Irvine's correct position is right back, he's not even a left back.

Naismith seriously needs to work on his physique, far too big and clumsy now for a right back and very wasteful on the ball.

He was at his best when he broke into the team under Lennon, he was a lot leaner then and was able to charge up and down the wing all day, he's not been at that sort of level now for a good while and well before his injury even took place.

Yesterday was a good wake up call, although signings have been decent there is still an awful lot of a work to be done, have a feeling Rae will get it right though, he isn't daft.

When Rae was talking about shitking out of tackles I think he meant young Morgan. I know that's not his game, but he pulled out of just about every 50/50 ball.

Mallan's passing was very poor.

Did Gallacher touch the ball?

Hopefully if that's who Rae was talking about then they take on board his words.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

We only seem to have a Plan A at the moment - pump a high ball up the park and hope Sutton is nearby. Even when Sutton was replaced by Shanks we kept the same Plan going even though it had been ineffectual when Sutton was on. And I lost count of the number of times we lost the ball while in possession as most of the players seemed hell-bent on not passing to a team mate but focused on taking on every Accies players until they lost it.

Langfield, Baird and Shanks get pass marks.