2016/17 Injury updates

Not sure if we've had a thread posted like this before or if it's something that will be useful but thought would be a shout if anyone had any insider information on the injured players. To start with

Rocco Quinn - Scan expected after coming off against Livingston today (Calf injury)

Gary MacKenzie - Injured for today's game apparently but I've not heard any further details,

Anymore for anymore or any updates on the above two, fill your boots. 

On 7/23/2016 at 7:35 PM, Julian Banjos said:

Mackenzie disappeared from the squad again today after being on the bench on Tuesday. Hasn't played in any of the League Cup games nor the friendly at Stenny.

Presumed he would be Webster's partner this season but there's obviously an issue there at the moment. Being wrapped in cotton wool?

I hope so, I think Baird has been poor.  fair enough scored the goal against Ayr but his positioning and distribution isn't great, doesn't look comfortable on the ball (can't get rid of it quick enough) and slow at keeping the line.  If Mackenzie has been carrying a knock I hope it's clear soon and he can get a run out.  Wonder how fit Ben Gordon is, surprised he hasn't had a run out either. 

43 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

You have to say naismith has been poor also. Gives the ball away all the time and struggles with fast players

I think we need to remember he missed 8 months of last season and will take time to get back to his peak physical condition. 

18 hours ago, Soctty said:

I think we need to remember he missed 8 months of last season and will take time to get back to his peak physical condition. 

Can see the point about giving Naismith time but how many players get a long injury then are never the same? If anything that's more of a concern because we don't have such good cover for right and left backs.  At least we have another two center backs to come in but we'd have to play someone out of position if Naismith doesn't improve.  Time will tell I guess hopefully he comes good. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

Can see the point about giving Naismith time but how many players get a long injury then are never the same? If anything that's more of a concern because we don't have such good cover for right and left backs.  At least we have another two center backs to come in but we'd have to play someone out of position if Naismith doesn't improve.  Time will tell I guess hopefully he comes good. 

I think the problem with a lot of players after a long injury is that when they are fit to play, fans expect the same player immediately. I wouldn't expect to see the Naismith at his pre-injury level fitness and sharpness-wise until after Christmas. He'll play now, but won't be as fast, sharp or have the stamina he had previously til much later.

As you say, there is the chance a player might not be the same player again. I always look at Darren McGregor, who had his ACL, and was back playing for a few months, not as well as he had been before, then got another one, keeping him out for another season. Only towards the end of the 13/14 season did we see him get close to his best form again.

In short, Naismith needs and deserves to be given time and patience. He'll always give his all, and will improve as the weeks go by.

• 3 weeks later...