Stevie Mallan

There is no doubt the the boy has bags of talent but I fear we are putting too much pressure on him to be our main man in the middle of the park. McLean and McGinn both had the presence of Jim Goodwin who put himself on the line allowing them to progress. IMO Mallan should be getting occasional bench time and when he is played stick him in the hole behind the striker! Free him up from the pressure of Scottish championship centre midfield battles.

9 hours ago, Buddy Marvellous said:

There is no doubt the the boy has bags of talent but I fear we are putting too much pressure on him to be our main man in the middle of the park. McLean and McGinn both had the presence of Jim Goodwin who put himself on the line allowing them to progress. IMO Mallan should be getting occasional bench time and when he is played stick him in the hole behind the striker! Free him up from the pressure of Scottish championship centre midfield battles.

Mallan should be a first pick every week.  14 goals from midfield is a very good return, and whilst he isn't the finished article, he is arguably our best player.  On that basis alone, it would be daft to leave him on the bench.

Rae is looking to play two strikers (or so it would seem), so there is less scope for a player in the "hole" behind.

I'd be perfectly happy if Stevie continues where he left off last season.

He is good enough for the first team at St Mirren so he deserves his starting place.

Where he disappoints me is I don't think he has progressed. His goalscoring stats are obviously impressive. That will attract scouts to Paisley to watch him, but when they get there they are going to see a lad who isn't a conduit in the side. He's not a particularly good ball winner, he doesn't demand the ball off his team mates, he doesn't make clever defence splitting passes, he doesn't drive forward causing panic in the opposition defence, and I can't remember the last time I saw him being the stand out player, even in a poor First Division against part time clubs. Even yesterday he got caught dallying on the ball and had his pocket picked by a Livingston player.

He is good enough for the first team at St Mirren so he deserves his starting place.

Where he disappoints me is I don't think he has progressed. His goalscoring stats are obviously impressive. That will attract scouts to Paisley to watch him, but when they get there they are going to see a lad who isn't a conduit in the side. He's not a particularly good ball winner, he doesn't demand the ball off his team mates, he doesn't make clever defence splitting passes, he doesn't drive forward causing panic in the opposition defence, and I can't remember the last time I saw him being the stand out player, even in a poor First Division against part time clubs. Even yesterday he got caught dallying on the ball and had his pocket picked by a Livingston player.

Exactly my point, use him differently and those things you mention may well come.

Rae seems set on a 442, but I'd go with another 2 midfielders around Mallan so to allow him to play further forward.

Maybe even play him behind one main striker. The further forward he plays, hopefully the more chances he'll get to shoot, which should lead to more goals.

I think in central midfield in a flat 442 in the Championship, he'll struggle to get time to do what he does best.

3 hours ago, buddiecat said:

Stevie is a great player, noticed yesterday though that he has continued with a wee problem that crept into his game at the end of last season, that being he is getting caught  in possession too many times,

The other teams know the drill now and obviously have been told to watch Mallan and not to give him any space. .

Played in a struggling team for most of last season, with different players around and in front of him. A bit of continuity in selection would help. Having players to take the burden of expectation from him, and also possibly afford him more space, will also help. The likes of Sutton and Clarkson will hopefully score more goals than we managed last season from strikers, and having more solidity behind him in the form of Hutton should also be a benefit. Better and more consistent performances from wide men would be a bonus too.

He's a very good Championship player, who should continue to improve. If we have people moaning once again at the end of the season that all he does is score goals and provide some assists, he'll still be doing something right...

Edited by Soctty

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Dundee fan in work reckons they are going to come back for Mallan again. With Harkins being told to find a new club you can follow the logic.

Can't see him going though.

They couldn't afford him.

9 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Dundee fan in work reckons they are going to come back for Mallan again. With Harkins being told to find a new club you can follow the logic.

Can't see him going though.

On the other hand, Paul McGowan was at the match tonight.

Perhaps a swap deal might be in the offing????

Let's hope not. Unless there's a big sum of money coming our way that wouldn't be in our interest at all.

Also, Mallan can and will do far better than shite like Dundee.

17 hours ago, pod said:

There's me thinking the keeper saved it.

It was an excellent save by a keeper who apparently is known for saving penalties, Stevie's only mistake was to hit it at the perfect height for the keeper. A little higher (or lower) and the keeper was beat.

17 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Very much doubt it although I would love to see McGowan back again but not at the expense of Mallan.

Mallan has just turned 20, only played one full season in a shit team but was top scorer last season and from midfield. Think the guy deserves some slack for any performances that are below his high standard. Last night he was miles better than Hutton on Gallagher and was always hungry and eager. Give the guy a break. (Don't mean you Northstbuddie :) )

Edited by Sonny

4 hours ago, Sonny said:

Very much doubt it although I would love to see McGowan back again but not at the expense of Mallan.

Mallan has just turned 20, only played one full season in a shit team but was top scorer last season and from midfield. Think the guy deserves some slack for any performances that are below his high standard. Last night he was miles better than Hutton on Gallagher and was always hungry and eager. Give the guy a break. (Don't mean you Northstbuddie :) )

I don't disagree with your comments but I did think that Hutton showed more method and purpose in central midfield. He looks as if he has the potential to organise things there which is something we have been sorely lacking since the departure of McLean and McGinn, with the possible exception of Goodwin.

(However, Morgan's performance last night surpassed anything I witnessed from these two and I rated McLean and McGinn highly.)

Mallan is a different kettle of fish from Hutton and while he is not yet the finished article he has the potential to excel as an attacking midfielder rather than a midfield general.

When all is said and done, i think we need to keep in mind that this is still basically preseason. We wouldn't normally be playing our first competitive match til next weekend, so players are still gaining fitness, the manager has admitted he is giving minutes to different players to get them all as sharp as they can be, and while doing this we're winning games. Saturday will be a bit closer to being at our full match fitness, and against a top league side. It'll be a test, but we've got the experience and physicality in there to compete.

• 2 weeks later...