Stevie Mallan

The Sun's Kenny Millar says there is truth in it and would involve Sam Stanton coming the other way.

I'm sure Tony Fitzpatrick said we'd no longer be selling our players on the cheap. Time to see how true that is.

Season Ticket money in the bank, a home derby coming up and an additional 2.5k a month from the BtB DDs, where is the pressure to sell ? It would need to be an exceptional cash offer surely to consider it. Not exactly a statement of intent from the new regime if he goes on the cheap !

Would also surprise me if he went to Hibs. He'd be severely underselling himself. We're under no pressure to sell and the only thing that will force a move in this window is the player himself unless someone offers ridiculous money. 

And no thanks to Sam Stanton. He's a significant drop in quality of what we should be looking for. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Would also surprise me if he went to Hibs. He'd be severely underselling himself. We're under no pressure to sell and the only thing that will force a move in this window is the player himself unless someone offers ridiculous money. 

And no thanks to Sam Stanton. He's a significant drop in quality of what we should be looking for. 

There's the rub though. If we DO get the required quality?.... McLean, Aberdeen. McGinn, Hibs. Mallan ?

What chance do we have of achieving anything these days? Answer - not a helluva' lot. Mind you, we are not alone. Ra' Sellik dig up a bit of talent and in a season or two, they'll be offski to Southampton or Swansea, so it becomes harder for them to build a team capable of Champions League last 16 - as is surely Rodger's remit.

Scottish football - we are all selling clubs and pretty much fcuked. The only difference between a St Mirren or a Celtic is the size of the other club fcuking us.

There's the rub though. If we DO get the required quality?.... McLean, Aberdeen. McGinn, Hibs. Mallan ?

What chance do we have of achieving anything these days? Answer - not a helluva' lot. Mind you, we are not alone. Ra' Sellik dig up a bit of talent and in a season or two, they'll be offski to Southampton or Swansea, so it becomes harder for them to build a team capable of Champions League last 16 - as is surely Rodger's remit.

Scottish football - we are all selling clubs and pretty much fcuked. The only difference between a St Mirren or a Celtic is the size of the other club fcuking us.

It's hardly anything new to be fair. We've always sold our best players and we always will.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

It's hardly anything new to be fair. We've always sold our best players and we always will.

Indeed, but these days post-Bosman it's a different ball game. We don't really sell anyone anymore, we simply lose them to a slightly bigger predator who is a bit of a step up for the player and can pay them a bigger wage.

Hardly the 'Stevie Clarke to Chelsea' days of yore. Back then we had a shot at building a team. The cream rose to the top and was sold, I agree - but we had their services for a good while and enjoyed their talents before they got their move. These days, the hope should be to knit together a team of relative journeymen who individually, don't attract the attention of Hibs.... depressing really.

Sam Stanton seriously, Do we not have enough wingers already. If he isn't good enough to get in the Hibs team in the Championship then why should he be a standout for us?

Hopefully this will generate interest in Mallan from clubs in England as Dundee or Hibs aren't going to pay top dollar although we will demand a sell on clause like McGinn. 

Last season Hibs refused to sell Scott Allan to one of their rivals in Rangers if we are in a position that we do not have to sell then we should be tell the to do one.

Indeed, but these days post-Bosman it's a different ball game. We don't really sell anyone anymore, we simply lose them to a slightly bigger predator who is a bit of a step up for the player and can pay them a bigger wage.

Hardly the 'Stevie Clarke to Chelsea' days of yore. Back then we had a shot at building a team. The cream rose to the top and was sold, I agree - but we had their services for a good while and enjoyed their talents before they got their move. These days, the hope should be to knit together a team of relative journeymen who individually, don't attract the attention of Hibs.... depressing really.

I mind when I was a nipper our best and my favourite player was Gunni Torffasson. Then we sold him to St Johnstone for a piffling amount :lol:

Since then I've never expected anything different than our best players moving on for little money, as Ive never really known anything else. Depressing in a way but it's been the way at St Mirren for a very long time.

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I mind when I was a nipper our best and my favourite player was Gunni Torffasson. Then we sold him to St Johnstone for a piffling amount :lol:

Since then I've never expected anything different than our best players moving on for little money, as Ive never really known anything else. Depressing in a way but it's been the way at St Mirren for a very long time.

Yeah, we saw Guni turn out in a Fakes kit, but if you look at Guni's Wikipedia page, he played for a ton of clubs. However, the 77 appearances he made for St Mirren was about twice the amount he made for any of his other clubs. 1989 - 1992 at St Mirren? Illustrates my point that back in the day, we might have sold on players, but in the main we got a good turn out of them first before doing so.

The possibility of sitting watching McGinn and Mallan in the strip of a direct second tier rival doesn't anger me, because we cannot stop it. It's a depressing scenario though, and kinda' makes it hard for Fitzy's scenario of us aiming to win the league in ten years time from ever becoming reality... Good old Fitzy. Great banter.

Surley he will note sold to hibs. That would be a really dissapointing. It would also signal to the fans that we are putting up the white flag this season. Hopefully this is binned and we dont et him go. Fair enough England that's different. If we are paid fair and it's a good deal then yes but to hibs for 75k and Sam Stanton who is seriously out the picture? This is worse than Lambert leaving and jg arriving

5 hours ago, Sonny said:

This is the first easy test for the new board. Unless Hibs are offering silly six figure amounts then they can forget it if the Board want to keep 1300 subscribers on the go.

The beginnings of a rocky road.

Yeah, we saw Guni turn out in a Fakes kit, but if you look at Guni's Wikipedia page, he played for a ton of clubs. However, the 77 appearances he made for St Mirren was about twice the amount he made for any of his other clubs. 1989 - 1992 at St Mirren? Illustrates my point that back in the day, we might have sold on players, but in the main we got a good turn out of them first before doing so.

The possibility of sitting watching McGinn and Mallan in the strip of a direct second tier rival doesn't anger me, because we cannot stop it. It's a depressing scenario though, and kinda' makes it hard for Fitzy's scenario of us aiming to win the league in ten years time from ever becoming reality... Good old Fitzy. Great banter.

Well, by any measure we got a better turn out of McGinn than we did out of Torffasson. John not only played more games for us than him but he also won something. Unless Mallan moves this window, which I would say was fairly unlikely, he will also play more games than Gunni.

I think it's easy to get the rose tinted specs on when looking into the past. The reality is things haven't changed much for us since the early 90's. As has been mentioned, the worst transfer deal in our history was Paul Lambert.

Can just imagine the meltdown on here about that if BAWA was going back then!

I do not think there is any chance of Mallan going to Hibs. That being said I would not be a happy bunny.

I did not like us losing McLean and McGinn but understood the reasoning. Both went with my acceptance as basically we had no other options. However Mallan is a completely different situation.

A. The Club is not in any debt at the moment so no need to gain a short-term sum unlike the McLean situation.

B. Mallan is under contract and I doubt he would spit the dummy for a transfer to another Championship Club with probably not a hugely significant difference in wages.

C. Mallan has a better track record than both McLean and McGinn at the same age as them so a derisory amount from Hibs and a player they gave to Livingston would be a joke. His valuation in my opinion is one that Hibs could not afford.

D. Mallan's future I believe is of a higher level than Hibs in the Championship. I could understand if an English Club bid silly money for him but that has not happened yet.

E. We have potentially a squad capable of at least the playoffs. To lose our top scorer and valuable asset to possibly our main competitor would send me a poor message.

The new takeover is hopefully the dawn of a new era. One where the view of fans count and where fans are now financing the Club with hard earned cash. Obviously if silly money is offered by a Club and Mallan wants to go then its something we may have to accept but Sam Stanton and allegedly £60K? If that was the case then nothing has changed and I would be reviewing my DD. And no this is not a gun to the head of the new Board. Many of my friends have not signed up to the new takeover but I have. The reason being I wanted change as the stagnation was pulling the Club down. Transferring Mallan to Hibs for peanuts is simply not acceptable to me .