Tom Walsh

3 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Aren't all OF loanees "the next big thing"?

Although one or two like Scott Cuthbert have been worthwhile only Charlie Adam has lived up to the billing - let's hope this turns out to be one of the better deals.

I thought that Paul McGowan and graham Carey did no bad

Donald hunter was decent as well

if Morgan had showed in training that he was better than McMullan then I'm sure he'd have been in the side

who cares about how much experience he has?

he can either play or he can't

I don't think experience makes a blind bit of difference

Mo Camara was a very experienced player when we signed him

Maybe McMullan was great at training but he was shit at playing and still got a game.

2 hours ago, scabbydug37 said:

According to Douglas McNeil on Twitter, this deal not done yet, but may be finalised on Monday

The player himself tweeted that he had "signed" but has since taken the tweet down.

It might not be actually done, but clearly it's happening.

13 hours ago, nosferatu said:

I thought that Paul McGowan and graham Carey did no bad

Donald hunter was decent as well

I did say one or two, and Lawson, McMullen & Loy are examples of ones that didn't work out - OF loanees generally arrive with the "starlet" tag and at least one in-the-know poster predicting great things but as I say it's all a bit hit&miss.

I agree with you regarding Morgan though, the days of a club like Saints spending 4/5 years developing a player in the first team are gone it's pretty much sink or swim these days - if Walsh is better so be it.

Edited by Bud the Baker

No problem with using the loan market to sign younger players from other clubs. It's no different to signing a guy on six month/one year contract, him doing well and then buggering off for nothing at the end of the season (Keith Watson being an example of that).

However, if we're signing someone on loan they have to earn their place in the side on merit - they shouldn't get on the assumption they're better than what we have because they come from one of the Old Firm and we certainly shouldn't agree to any deal where they must start every game.

At the moment we need another winger because we only have Morgan and Gallagher. We need competition for places and we need alternatives - when we went 2-1 down on Saturday you looked at the subs and there wasn't a great deal of options available in a bid to change things. If Walsh comes in and we're playing 4-4-2 then two out of him, Morgan and Gallagher will be starting so he's not really getting in the way of anyone's development. I can see the concern though - in hindsight I'd far rather we'd gone with Stewart at leftback at the start of last season rather than Conlan.

I'm a big fan of Morgan and, from his comments, so is the manager. If he keeps playing the way he did on Saturday and if the team is getting chosen on merit then we won't have any worries. Don't think it's valid to say Cooper got in the way of his development last season as he was injured at that point and at the start of the campaign McMullan was doing reasonably well.

No problem with using the loan market to sign younger players from other clubs. It's no different to signing a guy on six month/one year contract, him doing well and then buggering off for nothing at the end of the season (Keith Watson being an example of that).

However, if we're signing someone on loan they have to earn their place in the side on merit - they shouldn't get on the assumption they're better than what we have because they come from one of the Old Firm and we certainly shouldn't agree to any deal where they must start every game.

At the moment we need another winger because we only have Morgan and Gallagher. We need competition for places and we need alternatives - when we went 2-1 down on Saturday you looked at the subs and there wasn't a great deal of options available in a bid to change things. If Walsh comes in and we're playing 4-4-2 then two out of him, Morgan and Gallagher will be starting so he's not really getting in the way of anyone's development. I can see the concern though - in hindsight I'd far rather we'd gone with Stewart at leftback at the start of last season rather than Conlan.

I'm a big fan of Morgan and, from his comments, so is the manager. If he keeps playing the way he did on Saturday and if the team is getting chosen on merit then we won't have any worries. Don't think it's valid to say Cooper got in the way of his development last season as he was injured at that point and at the start of the campaign McMullan was doing reasonably well.

You're not welcome here, with your well thought out, balanced arguments! Only ill informed drivel from now on please.

I know Tom personally. A great lad, his parents have kept his feet on the ground. (thus no tattoo sleeves or beard lol). He is a two footed player so can play on either wing. I think we have still to see the best of him. Very glad he is a Saint for now. I wish it was a full season loan though.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Welcome to the club Tom. Got a good feeling about this season. Great to see the press banging on about Dundee Unt, Hibs, Falkirk. We can get on quietly and surprise a few by doing so

Couldn't say I noticed.

On 17 July 2016 at 3:41 PM, Bud the Baker said:

Aren't all OF loanees "the next big thing"?

Although one or two like Scott Cuthbert have been worthwhile only Charlie Adam has lived up to the billing - let's hope this turns out to be one of the better deals.

And if we are mentioning "nuturing for other teams", Charlie went onto much greater things than his parent team.

What did happen to them?

12 minutes ago, E=Mc2 said:

And if we are mentioning "nuturing for other teams", Charlie went onto much greater things than his parent team.

What did happen to them?

In fairness, we were a much greater thing than his parent team.