Lottery Winner

Greenhill Road

Just now, murray street said:

If you win 14 million and you go back to work, should this not preclude you from getting the money due to 

being too stupid?

I always remember a lavvy attendant from Bognor winning a couple of million in the mid 90's, she was back

at work on the monday morning, I remember thinking if she preferred scrubbing skid marks from toilet

pans then I would take the money as she was obviously too stupid to realize what she had.

Mrs Poz saw the news last night and reminded me that the bloke who just won the lottery fitted a new bathroom at our old house in Houston years ago. Did a good job too. He was a nice bloke and took pride in doing a good job. Maybe the guy would genuinely miss the routine, the feeling of self-worth in doing a good job. Who knows? Maybe he would be happier doing his trade rather than suddenly sitting down and wondering if Jeremy Kyle or Homes Under the Hammer was on the telly.

Mrs Poz was in the fire service and many colleagues retired at fifty with cracking pensions. The amount of them who almost immediately went into consulting work or getting into another job was very high. Getting out the golf clubs / pipe and slippers certainly isn't for everyone. Either that, or their missus' told them to get out from under her feet before she murdered them.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Mrs Poz saw the news last night and reminded me that the bloke who just won the lottery fitted a new bathroom at our old house in Houston years ago. Did a good job too. He was a nice bloke and took pride in doing a good job. Maybe the guy would genuinely miss the routine, the feeling of self-worth in doing a good job. Who knows? Maybe he would be happier doing his trade rather than suddenly sitting down and wondering if Jeremy Kyle or Homes Under the Hammer was on the telly.

Mrs Poz was in the fire service and many colleagues retired at fifty with cracking pensions. The amount of them who almost immediately went into consulting work or getting into another job was very high. Getting out the golf clubs / pipe and slippers certainly isn't for everyone. Either that, or their missus' told them to get out from under her feet before she murdered them.

I cannot understand this mentality, and it strikes me as not being very bright,

Why would you work if you do not have to?

I would also take the no publicity option, he's going to get all of the 

local scumbag neds begging at his door. 

1 hour ago, murray street said:

If you don't understand that mentailty and it isn't for you - fair enough. There is absolutely no reason to say it means anyone who wants to keep working despite having money aren't very bright. No reason whatsoever.

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If you don't understand that mentailty and it isn't for you - fair enough. There is absolutely no reason to say it means anyone who wants to keep working despite having money aren't very bright. No reason whatsoever. 

So when someone has 14 million in the bank and they still  need to put their 37 ½ hours in at macdonalds to get their minimum wage, that is astounding logic.

Edited by murray street

1 minute ago, murray street said:

So when someone has 14 million in the bank and they still  need to put their 37 ½ hours in at macdonalds to get their minimum wage, that is astounding logic.

If that's what they want to do, that's their perogative. Why does it suggest they aren't very bright? My experience is of people who held quite high positions of responsibility and when retirement came, they genuinely missed working. Maybe the guy who built up a plumbing business doesn't want to walk away from it because of this big money win. If he does want to keep working, again, why does this make him 'not the brightest'?

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If that's what they want to do, that's their perogative. Why does it suggest they aren't very bright? My experience is of people who held quite high positions of responsibility and when retirement came, they genuinely missed working. Maybe the guy who built up a plumbing business doesn't want to walk away from it because of this big money win. If he does want to keep working, again, why does this make him 'not the brightest'?

No gonnie bite on this wan, move along nothing to see here.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, murray street said:

Send him a letter instead. :whistle

9 hours ago, murray street said:

Not everyone hates their job.

For many people their job is their purpose in life and their hobby all wrapped up in a nice well paid package.

Has it ever occurred to you to get a job you actually enjoy doing?

You reckon its stupid to do a job when you dont have to. I think it is utterly moronic, sad and downright depressing to spend an entire career doing something you absolutely hate. Its also completely unnecessary.

If I won this sort of sum of money I would use it as seed money to open up a research facility for curing some disease which is not being worked on by other research groups or companies and I wish at least some of the people winning these vast amounts would have a similar attitude. The cliched picture of the couple drinking champers depresses the crap out of me. I will never understand being in a position where you can influence so many lives for the better and spending the money on houses and cars.

8 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

The guy runs his own business.. I get why he wouldn't give that up.

I don't think I'd give up working if I won big. I just don't think I could be trusted to work for someone else. I don't think I'd take a holiday request rejection very well in that position.

Agreed. I packed in working as an employee when I turned 32. I cant imagine now ever wanting to work within the straight jacket of employment ever again. I would rather die poor running my own business than suffer death by a thousand humiliating cuts influcted by employment  regardless of how well paid it is.

Imagine being in a position where you can be harassed for taking time off work, choosing your own hours and days of work, taking too long to have a piss and hundreds of other depressing humiliations of this nature.

Sorry but f**k that for a life. Money doesnt buy happiness but fredom does,

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

In my experience, people who run their own businesses rarely turn out to be doing it for the money even if they are earning 7 figures.

Its way more complicated than that.

I agree with you here.

I genuinely pity people doing a job they hate so much that they would stop working at the drop of a hat. IMO its a waste of a life.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Agreed. I packed in working as an employee when I turned 32. I cant imagine now ever wanting to work within the straight jacket of employment ever again. I would rather die poor running my own business than suffer death by a thousand humiliating cuts influcted by employment  regardless of how well paid it is.

Imagine being in a position where you can be harassed for taking time off work, choosing your own hours and days of work, taking too long to have a piss and hundreds of other depressing humiliations of this nature.

Nah it's money that buys you the freedom Oaksoft. Very few self employed people get to choose their own hours unless they have a great deal of money. 

When I ran my first small business I had to be on my laptop and plugged into a phone line whenever football matches were on. The worst night I can remember was really early on having to sit in on a Friday night to cover some low grade cup match (possibly the Johnstons Paint Trophy or whatever it was called back then) between Colchester and some other side to send out 4 text messages to the only customer who had paid for that match. I made 40p that night and the f**king match went into extra time as well. It had to be done though. If I hadn't done it I would have let down the people who were selling the service for me down there. I think that is the reality for many people who are self employed - not the kind of freedom you dream of. It's only when the money starts rolling in that the freedom exists.That's why if you do go self employed it's best to do so in a field where you have real passion for what you are doing. 

I don't feel in any way embittered towards my employer and if I won the lottery I'd certainly not want to let my boss and my colleagues down. I imagine I would continue to work until they were able to find or train up a replacement. Long term though I don't think it would be an arrangement that would be sustainable, simply for the reason I gave last night. I can't see myself handling a rejected holiday request very well and I would be wanting some really long holidays. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Nah it's money that buys you the freedom Oaksoft. Very few self employed people get to choose their own hours unless they have a great deal of money. 

When I ran my first small business I had to be on my laptop and plugged into a phone line whenever football matches were on. The worst night I can remember was really early on having to sit in on a Friday night to cover some low grade cup match (possibly the Johnstons Paint Trophy or whatever it was called back then) between Colchester and some other side to send out 4 text messages to the only customer who had paid for that match. I made 40p that night and the f**king match went into extra time as well. It had to be done though. If I hadn't done it I would have let down the people who were selling the service for me down there. I think that is the reality for many people who are self employed - not the kind of freedom you dream of. It's only when the money starts rolling in that the freedom exists.That's why if you do go self employed it's best to do so in a field where you have real passion for what you are doing. 

I don't feel in any way embittered towards my employer and if I won the lottery I'd certainly not want to let my boss and my colleagues down. I imagine I would continue to work until they were able to find or train up a replacement. Long term though I don't think it would be an arrangement that would be sustainable, simply for the reason I gave last night. I can't see myself handling a rejected holiday request very well and I would be wanting some really long holidays. 

Money can certainly buy you freedom but it is not the only factor.

You certainly dont require "a great deal of money" to get to choose your own hours. That is a huge myth and usually only spouted by people who have never run a successful business. Who is filling your head with this rubbish? Tell them to stop.

You are correct about needing to do something you are passionate about but TBH you sound like an employee describing self employment.

Edited by oaksoft

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Money can certainly buy you freedom but it is not the only factor.

You certainly dont require "a great deal of money" to get to choose your own hours. That is a huge myth and usually only spouted by people who have never run a successful business. Who is filling your head with this rubbish? Tell them to stop.

You are correct about needing to do something you are passionate about but TBH you sound like an employee describing self employment.

Dear oh dear, has no idea, and makes no attempt to see the world many people live in, probably explains why you're such a socially inept individual. <_<

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Not everyone hates their job.

For many people their job is their purpose in life and their hobby all wrapped up in a nice well paid package.

Has it ever occurred to you to get a job you actually enjoy doing?

You reckon its stupid to do a job when you dont have to. I think it is utterly moronic, sad and downright depressing to spend an entire career doing something you absolutely hate. Its also completely unnecessary.

If I won this sort of sum of money I would use it as seed money to open up a research facility for curing some disease which is not being worked on by other research groups or companies and I wish at least some of the people winning these vast amounts would have a similar attitude. The cliched picture of the couple drinking champers depresses the crap out of me. I will never understand being in a position where you can influence so many lives for the better and spending the money on houses and cars.

I work to live, I don't live to work

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I pity you. Seems a shame not to love the thing you spend most of your daylight hours doing.

I cannot understand the logic where if someone wipes coffin dodgers arses in a care home that they

would continue wiping coffin dodgers arses in a care home even after winning millions on the lottery.

17 minutes ago, murray street said:

I cannot understand the logic where if someone wipes coffin dodgers arses in a care home that they

would continue wiping coffin dodgers arses in a care home even after winning millions on the lottery.

I suspect most people would probably pack in their job to be fair.

Usually one of two things will then happen.

Either They would buy a big house, flash cars, champagne, boats, caravans, holidays abroad, eat in the best restaurants, get involved in squalid legal battles over who gets a share and within 2 years have spent the lot thus ruining their one chance of escaping a shit life permanently, only now they have lost their family and friends. The list of lottery winners who have done this is staggeringly long.

Or they would realise within 2 weeks that they are isolated socially because they have nobody to share their new wealth with and that spending money is boring after a while. All their mates are at work and they are left alone to work out exactly how to spend their day.

These two outcomes are so prevalent that it beggars belief that people still need explaining why winning the lottery when you have a bad attitude towards money can literally ruin your life.

50 minutes ago, strummer said:

This is so true..im constant night shift..I pity the fool too..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Black & White Army mobile app

What do you think about cùnty the cùnty badger?

If Cùnty won 14 million, do you think he would still be wanking over grandma bigfoots soiled knickers?

Edited by murray street

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

He'd probably give them back to you. :)

I think with the preponderance of skid marks they would fail the "stick test", if you throw them against the wall and they stick then they can't be used again.

Use to use the stick test on exercise for a fortnight/month in the army, if your shreddies stick to the side of the tent/apc/bivvie/land rover in the morning, then don't put them back on again.

Edited by murray street