The Alex Rae Interviews

He is fantastic at these.

He answers all questions with honesty and passion.

I am delighted he is St Mirren Manager.

The Interviewer asks the correct questions also, fair play to him.

COSMFC

At last a manager who doesn't pull punches unlike the last couple who relied on impressions of Shull ("everything's ok we are just a win away from a great season") Problem is it's     Edinburgh City next, stronger opposition would show who takes on board the impending bollocking.

Just now, zebrakid said:

At last a manager who doesn't pull punches unlike the last couple who relied on impressions of Shull ("everything's ok we are just a win away from a great season") Problem is it's     Edinburgh City next, stronger opposition would show who takes on board the impending bollocking.

We'll be fine. :P

Personally, I prefer the Fergie approach: back players to the hilt in public, bollock them in private.

The reaction of Tom Walsh to being singled out there, as well as his team-mates, who knows.... Nice for us to hear maybe but I think if a manager does that (which is pretty rare actually) then he's taking risks with the dressing room.

Have to say, that interview is the first time I've had a wee concern about Rae. Misjudged I think. Don't see the benefit of saying all that in public. Seems more about showing he's boss than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Personally, I prefer the Fergie approach: back players to the hilt in public, bollock them in private.

The reaction of Tom Walsh to being singled out there, as well as his team-mates, who knows.... Nice for us to hear maybe but I think if a manager does that (which is pretty rare actually) then he's taking risks with the dressing room.

Have to say, that interview is the first time I've had a wee concern about Rae. Misjudged I think. Don't see the benefit of saying all that in public. Seems more about showing he's boss than anything else.

He's not Fergie, he's Alex Rae and he's not a happy chappy. It's up to the players to make him happy. 

I'm sure he'll do well and if the players don't listen then they'll be gone.

2 minutes ago, Kendo said:

It's up to the players to make him happy. 

if the players don't listen then they'll be gone.

Incorrect. The players are under contract and going nowhere. It's up to Alex Rae to get the players to play for him or Alex Rae is gone. Just ask Tommy Craig  or Ian Murray.

If he wants them to play for him then criticising them, by name in public, is risky.

9 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Incorrect. The players are under contract and going nowhere. It's up to Alex Rae to get the players to play for him or Alex Rae is gone. Just ask Tommy Craig  or Ian Murray.

If he wants them to play for him then criticising them, by name in public, is risky.

Ian Murray and Tommy Craig never criticised the players. They both signed a load of garbage and stood by them. 

The one he singled out isn't our player. Perhaps if he doesn't get his finger out he'll be sent back to Ibrox pronto, which would also set an example to the others.

As much as I like hearing the players getting a public kick up the arsenal, I do share some of your misgivings. It backfired spectacularly for Butcher at Hibs.

It's a largely irrelevant skill. If the results continue to be shite ... No one's going to say well at least his interviews are good.

Equally, if results are great no one complains about how the manager comes across in interviews.

The only thing Rae will be judged on is results.

31 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Ian Murray and Tommy Craig never criticised the players. They both signed a load of garbage and stood by them. 

Apologies for not worshipping at the shrine of Alex Rae just yet.

The straight-talking deflects from the fact that the buck will ultimately stop with him if things go awry. The team he got torn into today were put on the park by him and the majority were given contracts by him.

This is no longer a team he's inherited. They're his players. Ripping into them when things aren't going well won't wash for long.

Apologies for not worshipping at the shrine of Alex Rae just yet.

The straight-talking deflects from the fact that the buck will ultimately stop with him if things go awry. The team he got torn into today were put on the park by him and the majority were given contracts by him.

This is no longer a team he's inherited. They're his players. Ripping into them when things aren't going well won't wash for long.

Indeed... But it is also why it is appropriate in this instance and if there is not an appropriate improvement then decisive action will be taken.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Black & White Army mobile app

I prefer to see a manager call a spade a spade. If Walsh isn't happy about it, he can f off back to the reserves at Murray Park.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Black & White Army mobile app

I read the comments in this thread first, before watching the interview, and I expected some kind of blatant dressing down of Walsh...it wasn't really that, it was more that he needs to track his runners, which is fair enough. He also praised Walsh in the same interview.

In terms of slating the team, he's quite right to do so. We didn't play to our potential today. Certain players aren't playing at the level they can. That's all. We move on.

5 hours ago, shull said:

He is fantastic at these.

He answers all questions with honesty and passion.

I am delighted he is St Mirren Manager.

The Interviewer asks the correct questions also, fair play to him.

COSMFC

I'm absolutely all for this approach. A manager showing hurt from a defeat and explaining how he is going to rectify the situation is exactly what this team has been needing. Alex and David will not take any below par performances from this squad and let the players keep their places. Comfort zones are now gone and we are going to learn from our mistakes with a tougher approach. Regardless of what time of the season we are in, this is a competition we are competing in.

9 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Indeed... But it is also why it is appropriate in this instance and if there is not an appropriate improvement then decisive action will be taken.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Black & White Army mobile app

Let's hope there's a positive response.

Playing the same 11 who turned out in stifling heat on Tuesday, at this stage in the season, when our top league opponents were rested may well have contributed to the outcome. This wasn't acknowledged however.

Alex seems to be above criticism at the moment.

Let's hope there's a positive response.

Playing the same 11 who turned out in stifling heat on Tuesday, at this stage in the season, when our top league opponents were rested may well have contributed to the outcome. This wasn't acknowledged however.

Alex seems to be above criticism at the moment.

Yeah was very surprised it was the same team as Tuesday, especially as Hamilton had had a week off. Plenty of options too, could have brought in guys like Shankland, Walsh, Gordon etc just to freshen things up.