Filling in two of the corners at the stadium.

I remember Gordon Scott writting in the QA section of the official forum that the flood lights would be built well back for future development. They are not built well back are made of concrete so would pose a problem on any stands being built at the corners. It's something we don't need given our attendances. Advertisement space there is a good idea.

Concrete? Are you sure? Not that I've ever paid much attention to it but it looks like galvanised steel to me. If it had been concrete I'm sure I'd have noticed as that would have been highly unusual.

IF (and I don't expect this to ever happen) St. Mirren ever did incorporate safe standing areas into the ground, surely it would be far cheaper and efficient to do so in a large part of a stand that is already effectively empty every second Saturday rather than frivolously spending money no-one has on filling in corners in what is already a dreadfully under-utilised stadium?

21 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Concrete? Are you sure? Not that I've ever paid much attention to it but it looks like galvanised steel to me. If it had been concrete I'm sure I'd have noticed as that would have been highly unusual.

It's definitely galvanised steel. Cheaper, safer and lower maintenance than concrete.

You may be right there Stuart was probably because it's battle ship gray that made me think they were concrete.

3 hours ago, shull said:

It's an honour to get plagiarised again and again. 

Also it's hilarious to get ridiculed and belittled by some with no original thought of their own. 

:lol:

Welcome to Scotland. Its our national trait.

Poisonous and destructive in equal measure.

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I agree that the "pylon" looks like galvanised steel set into a concrete foundation.

Also, wasn't a reason given for the siting of the scoreboard such that the corners at either end of the Main Stand have to be left clear for emergency access?

The pylons are indeed set into big concrete blocks. Those blocks simply cannot be moved, otherwise the disappearance of Stephane Bahoken, Mo Camara, Alan Gow and Aaron Mooy's exercise bike will need to be re-investigated by the authorities.

56 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The pylons are indeed set into big concrete blocks. Those blocks simply cannot be moved, otherwise the disappearance of Stephane Bahoken, Mo Camara, Alan Gow and Aaron Mooy's exercise bike will need to be re-investigated by the authorities.

Bolted onto concrete plinths (Blocks) IMG_3077.jpg

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

IF (and I don't expect this to ever happen) St. Mirren ever did incorporate safe standing areas into the ground, surely it would be far cheaper and efficient to do so in a large part of a stand that is already effectively empty every second Saturday rather than frivolously spending money no-one has on filling in corners in what is already a dreadfully under-utilised stadium?

Gilmour answered this one ages ago. The stadium was built for seated areas. It wouldn't be financially viable or practical to change any of those areas to allow safe standing.

24 minutes ago, repairman said:

So what other suggestions to people have for our disabled supporters? A raised platform area in one of the corners is the option I would go for. 

Disappointed the facilities for our disabled supporters have went down since moving from Love Street.

Well you would think that all of the options have been looked at and costed and the cheapest option is the one that is currently with the planners giving a raised platform access in the main stand. 

I'd like to see wheelchair users have the same levels of access and facilities as any other customer entering the stadium. If the construction build was still at planning stage I guess I would have liked to have seen ramped access - like the one at the south stand at Hampden - to at least one of the stands to allow wheelchair access to the rear of the stand. 

3 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Well you would think that all of the options have been looked at and costed and the cheapest option is the one that is currently with the planners giving a raised platform access in the main stand. 

I'd like to see wheelchair users have the same levels of access and facilities as any other customer entering the stadium. If the construction build was still at planning stage I guess I would have liked to have seen ramped access - like the one at the south stand at Hampden - to at least one of the stands to allow wheelchair access to the rear of the stand. 

Why can we not just have the same as we had at love street in the home end behind the goal where there was a section at the top of the stand its really not rocket science follow the old tried and tested method that worked before 

21 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I don't grasp why the corners of the stadium are so important to some people - of all the things we could mention as being importnat to a new regime surely this has to be one of the most trivial.  Investment in the playing squad is what is needed not in a stadium only a few years old. Atmosphere is generated by getting more fans through the doors and then giving them the product on the park that excites them (the latter leads to the former).  Filling in corners will not encourage more folk to attend games !!!

I disagree with this. Filling in the corners (and I don't think it should be with more capacity for spectators) would help to improve the atmosphere. The worst grounds in Scotland for atmosphere are the all-seater ones with open corners. Wouldn't cost much to put boards or screens up, might generate income, and would probably improve atmosphere. Why not try it? There's no rush, of course.

On 7/26/2016 at 7:44 PM, repairman said:

So what other suggestions to people have for our disabled supporters? A raised platform area in one of the corners is the option I would go for. 

Disappointed the facilities for our disabled supporters have went down since moving from Love Street.

I am sure there were plans afoot to accommodate Wheelchair fans and Carer at the very rear of the Main Stand (access via the already installed and under utilised lift) by moving the high wall (or part of it in a few feet?  Maybe REA can answer.  Of course that would mean reducing the capacity of the Fans Pub a little, but that's OK by me and I am sure any right-thinking member.  

I am also sure there would also be plenty of volunteers of any relevant skill (even labouring) to make this happen.  Great PR to kick start our new dawn! 

On 7/26/2016 at 8:01 PM, stlucifer said:

Gilmour answered this one ages ago. The stadium was built for seated areas. It wouldn't be financially viable or practical to change any of those areas to allow safe standing.

Well, he would say that wouldn't he?

Looking at pictures, where this has already been done, even in safe standing ares, seating is also required to satisfy UEFA,. However, I think we might be able to retain the existing seats, but just bolt the rails between the seats.  It would take a structural expert to investigate this possibility. No doubt there are various ways of doing it.

Rail_seats_in_Klagenfurt,_Austria.JPG

article-2560296-1B83C2D600000578-69_634x

CHD81ExW0AAb1ct.jpg

PAY-Safe-standing-area-being-installed-i

You can request the safe standing roadshow to visit your ground and work out costs etc. They recently visited Dunfermline, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Celtic & Rangers. Cost is around £80 per seat, normally a seat costs around £30, but safe standing lasts longer as they're not being used as often/more durable.

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/news/scotlandleadstheway-7groundsin5days

http://stv.tv/sport/football/scottish-premier/celtic/289210-explained-how-safe-standing-would-work-in-scotland/

You can request the safe standing roadshow to visit your ground and work out costs etc. They recently visited Dunfermline, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Celtic & Rangers. Cost is around £80 per seat, normally a seat costs around £30, but safe standing lasts longer as they're not being used as often/more durable.

http://stv.tv/sport/football/scottish-premier/celtic/289210-explained-how-safe-standing-would-work-in-scotland/

This really is the Emperors New Clothes. You've already spent £30 per seat on fully functioning, perfectly safe, seats. The council is happy with them, police are happy with them and they've lasted 8 years already without needing replaced.

A company comes along and says that to take those seats out to 'allow' people to stand costs a further £80 per seat. The new solutions safety is dubious, whether the seats function or not is irrelevant and you need to get your local council and police to lower their spec to let you install it. Don't worry though the new system will last longer cause no-one will use it. And yet fans of a supposedly cash strapped club continue to push for this as something they want as a priority.

f**king mental.

53 minutes ago, Doakes said:

We would need to make BuddieinEKs unreserved though. Charge him £100.

2 hours ago, Vambo57 said:

I am sure there were plans afoot to accommodate Wheelchair fans and Carer at the very rear of the Main Stand (access via the already installed and under utilised lift) by moving the high wall (or part of it in a few feet?  Maybe REA can answer.  Of course that would mean reducing the capacity of the Fans Pub a little, but that's OK by me and I am sure any right-thinking member.  

I am also sure there would also be plenty of volunteers of any relevant skill (even labouring) to make this happen.  Great PR to kick start our new dawn! 

Well, he would say that wouldn't he?

Looking at pictures, where this has already been done, even in safe standing ares, seating is also required to satisfy UEFA,. However, I think we might be able to retain the existing seats, but just bolt the rails between the seats.  It would take a structural expert to investigate this possibility. No doubt there are various ways of doing it.

I think the space between each step might be the issue.

6 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I think the space between each step might be the issue.

I think £80 a pop might be the issue! Not often I agree with StuDick, but he was pretty much bang-on a post or two back. On GLS/SMiSAs list of priorities, I imagine £80 a shot 'safe standing' seats in the DinkyDome probably ranks about one zillionth on their 'to do' list.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I think £80 a pop might be the issue! Not often I agree with StuDick, but he was pretty much bang-on a post or two back. On GLS/SMiSAs list of priorities, I imagine £80 a shot 'safe standing' seats in the DinkyDome probably ranks about one zillionth on their 'to do' list.

Way way behind the disable facilities and tannoy system.

and a midfielder.

Edited by pod

I think a combination of a couple of those ideas would be good. Build 3 of Easter Road style filled in corners, 2 for big ads and 1 for the scoreboard (which looks pretty easy to move to me) hopefully the ad revenue would make them pay for themselves before too long and allow for the construction of the raised disabled viewing platform described by the OP. I'm sure there would be opportunity to advertise on it too.

Having it raised would be a massive help, I was late for the Ayr game, and sat in the front row of the main stand for the first half, to avoid disturbing people trying to force my way to my seat. I was only in the 4th row for the 2nd half, but that few feet made a massive difference in terms of the view I had.

Our lazy shortsighted commercial department will not see it that way

My thoughts: 

South East corner:- raised disabled section offering plenty of space for our supporters. (Club currently has 32 members of the disabled supporters club)

South West corner:- safe standing section.

The club could contact local businesses for sponsorship. I would imagine sponsorship of the South East corner would be snapped up fairly quickly with excellent PR.

The space under both these sections could be utilised in a variety of ways to benefit the club financial and to improve the match day experience for us.

Why not go the whole hog and put another tier on the stadium we won't be anywhere near filling that either