Filling in two of the corners at the stadium.

10 hours ago, lovestreet said:

Why not go the whole hog and put another tier on the stadium we won't be anywhere near filling that either

A disabled section in a corner would have space for say 60-80 users and a safe standing area would only be a couple of hundred. 

Finance is obviously an issue but as others have mentioned, Hibernian style advertising in the corners to generate revenue for the project could be an avenue.

Guest TPAFKATS

This really is the Emperors New Clothes. You've already spent £30 per seat on fully functioning, perfectly safe, seats. The council is happy with them, police are happy with them and they've lasted 8 years already without needing replaced.

A company comes along and says that to take those seats out to 'allow' people to stand costs a further £80 per seat. The new solutions safety is dubious, whether the seats function or not is irrelevant and you need to get your local council and police to lower their spec to let you install it. Don't worry though the new system will last longer cause no-one will use it. And yet fans of a supposedly cash strapped club continue to push for this as something they want as a priority.

f**king mental.

'The new solutions safety is dubious'

That's a serious allegation, care to back it up?

Sent fae ma fone

1 minute ago, tony soprano said:

'The new solutions safety is dubious'

That's a serious allegation, care to back it up?

Sent fae ma fone

Absolutely. Statistics taken from the German game show that at their matches there 846 injuries inside their stadiums last season. Thats 1 in 20,800. In the UK in All Seater Stadia the injury statistics show it's 1 in 31,300. The statistics from Germany don't differentiate on where the injuries took place but it's quite clear that German stadiums are not as safe as UK ones and the ONLY difference is that in Germany they have introduced "safe standing". 

Every argument for safe standing that I have seen claims that rail seats address all of the safety points listed in the Taylor Report, but they don't. Rail seats certainly address things like the surging and swaying of the crowd, but it's much harder to identify and to monitor potential trouble makers in a standing area than it is when everyone is seated. It's also far harder to monitor the capacities in each area where in a seated stadium you can clearly see when two people are trying to sit in the same seat, it's not so easy to spot when everyone is standing up that they are all stood one person to one rail seat. Ofcourse every report that has been given publicity on this subject has been driven by the agenda that fans want to stand at football grounds, but in every case they overlook the enhanced safety offered in an all seater stadium. 

We've also since established on this thread that all seater stadia are cheaper to build, the seats are cheaper to install, and the seats get used in an all seater stadium. The selling features of the safe standing system appear to be that it's 3 times more expensive but that it'll last longer cause no-one will use them. 

Those wanting seats ripped up to install rail seats at a club like St Mirren really need their heads checked out. 

Guest TPAFKATS

That's a no then regarding backing up your post that the safety of these 'safe standing' systems is dubious.
Not like you to try and pass stuff off as 'fact' while posting whataboutery.

Sent fae ma fone

27 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

That's a no then regarding backing up your post that the safety of these 'safe standing' systems is dubious.
Not like you to try and pass stuff off as 'fact' while posting whataboutery.

Sent fae ma fone

See that's the kind of agenda driven nonsense I'd expect from you.

There are no viable benefits to "safe standing" over all seated other than some dafties want to stand because they think standing makes people want to sing. Of course you only need to get on a train during rush hour to see the happiest passengers are the ones who have a seat and I've yet to see a standing passenger ever burst into song.

10 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

There are no viable benefits to "safe standing" over all seated other than some dafties want to stand because they think standing makes people want to sing. Of course you only need to get on a train during rush hour to see the happiest passengers are the ones who have a seat and I've yet to see a standing passenger ever burst into song.

The other passengers burst into song after they see you getting off at your stop. That's why you never see it. I believe the most popular ditty is 'Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio, cheerio, cheerio, cheer eh-oh, oh... get tae' fcuk, get tae' fcuk....'

Edited by pozbaird

Guest TPAFKATS

Self reflection Dicko.
All I've done is ask you to substantiate one if your over the top claims.

Sent fae ma fone

The other passengers burst into song after they see you getting off at your stop. That's why you never see it. I believe the most popular ditty is 'Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio, cheerio, cheerio, cheer eh-oh, oh... get tae' fcuk, get tae' fcuk....'

Aye maybe..... But only cause it frees up a seat or two for them. :rolleyes:

inmy opinion the corners could be filled in with aesthetically pleasing agricultural or industrial shed Galbreaker. Could be put up and taken down quickly on the day of a game (or left up full time)  Could be black and white and/or adorned with logos galore. http://www.galebreakeragri.com/ 

it stops 90% of wind strength.

I have some on the farm closing off a shed front paid a little more to get it black. It has withstood the strongest SW gales that Kintyre can throw at it with no damage.

Dont mock the idea....it would work I tell yeez!

And, surely to goodness it cant be that difficult to create disabled space....I might even bring my daughter if there was.

Edited by farmer john

• 1 month later...

Quite enjoyed standing at Somerset Park even though I have a fantastic voice with around a dozen gold disks to my name is could not be botherd to sing. Also came away from Somerset Park free from injury.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never noticed this thread first time round. Just saw the suggestion for filling the SE and SW corners with a disabled platform and a safe standing area.

The idea got shouted down at the time due to the fact that our crowds don’t justify it. However, a safe standing section could be filled with the W7 lads, leaving W7 free to give more away tickets to teams with larger supports. No?

27 minutes ago, Yflab said:

One of the major benefits that W7 crew have provided is to stop the West Bank from being infiltrated by The Two Arse Cheeks.

It was always a nightmare having much reduced facilities in the busiest home stand never mind having to have those cnuts near us.

Aye. Because they now occupy the whole of the South stand instead!!!