North Sea Oil Workers

shull

15 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I doubt he'll be working for less money. The tax break alone will probably be boosting his income. 

Never mind the tax break, the money saved on bevy could buy out a football club or two.

18 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

so you are in the oil-funded middle east for less money?

For the displacement, the conditions and the fact that the profits are still huge, then wages should be higher than they are

You do know this statement makes no sense whatsoever?

Nothing factual and so full of holes it could be used a net for our next match.

My previous position and current position are considerably different so the comparison on salary is pointless.

I am only here in Saudi because I was made redundant some time ago due to the slump in the price of oil as I stay in the north east which has been hit very hard.

I have always chosen to work close enough to home to get home every night, a few offers in the past have been very lucrative but that's not what floats my boat.

People who work offshore make a choice and, yes, I know plenty who freely admit they do next to nothing for long periods, boredom being one of their biggest enemies.

"I once saw a shell tech get a hold of a steward, stand on his foot and push him over for a laugh.  the guy got 3 broken metatarsals and even though he was an innocent victim was sacked for horseplay , the Shell tech got off scot-free".

Your hilarious story above is so far fetched it comes into the "Aye, good yin" category but if that what makes you happy, fire in.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about people who make lots of money, don't let it bother you, someone has to be poor for some else to be rich. 

As for a woosh............... aye, if ye like. :lol: 

I can't see any of this to be honest. The US has found a much cheaper supply of oil in it's own backyard with fracking. There's world pressure on business to move away from hydrocarbon fuel supplies, and if as you claim the banks are about to suffer another collapse and trade is going to take a downturn, demand for oil is only going to get worse. The over production in the Middle East was an attempt to make fracking less viable in the US and it's worked to a large extent, but the arse has fallen out of the oil markets now and I don't think we'll ever see the kind of prices per barrel that we had 2 or 3 years ago again. 

Stuart the biggest production from oil is plastic the world economy is flat just now. It has been flat many times before as it has been boyant. Nothing will change it will bounce back again. The world is not going to turn green over night. I take it you drive an elictric car and have wind generator in your garden complamenting the solar panels on your roof. Thought not.

10 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Stuart the biggest production from oil is plastic the world economy is flat just now. It has been flat many times before as it has been boyant. Nothing will change it will bounce back again. The world is not going to turn green over night. I take it you drive an elictric car and have wind generator in your garden complamenting the solar panels on your roof. Thought not.

The fact that we are still dependent on oil isnt the point.

Society is rapidly moving away from it and that trend is the reason many feel oil wont recover.

The fact that we are still dependent on oil isnt the point.

Society is rapidly moving away from it and that trend is the reason many feel oil wont recover.

Yes things are moving to a cleaner way not as quick as I would like to see. French are founding our next nuclear power station so profits go to France. The Chinese are funding our next nuclear power station with profits going to China. All very clean and renewable. I don't see glass taken over from plastic bottles. Fuel is a very small part of oil production the BIG production is in plastics wihich is everywhere that squashy dash board in your car, bumpers. When the world starts growing economically so will the oil industry that is a fact. When Joe blogs thinks of oil they seem to think of fuel would have thought a pipe fitter with plastic pipes every where would have known that.

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

No but I work for an energy company that has cut energy consumption of some of the largest retailers in Europe by over 40%. I don't think the world will turn "green" over night either but there are alternatives to offshore gas and oil which are much cheaper and more efficient to extract. 

6 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yes things are moving to a cleaner way not as quick as I would like to see. French are founding our next nuclear power station so profits go to France. The Chinese are funding our next nuclear power station with profits going to China. All very clean and renewable. I don't see glass taken over from plastic bottles. Fuel is a very small part of oil production the BIG production is in plastics wihich is everywhere that squashy dash board in your car, bumpers. When the world starts growing economically so will the oil industry that is a fact. When Joe blogs thinks of oil they seem to think of fuel would have thought a pipe fitter with plastic pipes every where would have known that.

Yeah but nuclear is an efficient and effective way of generating electricity and with oil fired power stations being taken offline over the next few years I can't see any trend being reversed either - especially not if there is another global recession. 

As for plastic pipes :rolleyes: my trade really hasn't changed in the 30 years I've been in it. Most of the work is still done using carbon steel, stainless steel, or if its in food production a number of different types of alloy. But I can excuse your confusion if you think galvanised steel looks like concrete :P

Edited by Stuart Dickson

No but I work for an energy company that has cut energy consumption of some of the largest retailers in Europe by over 40%. I don't think the world will turn "green" over night either but there are alternatives to offshore gas and oil which are much cheaper and more efficient to extract. 

A few out there say

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The profits are not going to China OR France. They are going into the pockets of investors including pension funds, repaying debts etc and the rest is going into research and development to ensure they are still in business in 20 years time.

China and France will see relatively little tax from it.

The UK on the other hand wins the big prize which is long term, high skill employment for thousand of citizens.

We need to stop getting hung up on which "country" actually owns the company. The rtruth is that it is irrelevant other than nationalistic pride.

You make a reasonable point about plastic but you dont need oil from the ground to make plastic. You can make plastic from gas believe it or not and it is much more profitable to do it that way. That is one reason why fracking is gaining hold.

Edited by oaksoft

The profits are not going to China OR France. They are going into the pockets of investors including pension funds, repaying debts etc and the rest is going into research and development to ensure they are still in business in 20 years time.

China and France will see relatively little tax from it.

The UK on the other hand wins the big prize which is long term, high skill employment for thousand of citizens.

We need to stop getting hung up on which "country" actually owns the company. The rtruth is that it is irrelevant other than nationalistic pride.

You make a reasonable point about plastic but you dont need oil from the ground to make plastic. You can make plastic from gas believe it or not and it is much more profitable to do it that way. That is one reason why fracking is gaining hold.

Go and read online what EDF France will get out it mate. Though I see Teresa May wants to look at the deal before giving it the go ahead. Just now elitricity costs 42p per kilwatt the deal is DDF France gets 92p per kilwatt. The Chinese are throwing in a lot of money also what are they getting back for putting money up front. The whole thing is a farce.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Go and read online what EDF France will get out it mate. Though I see Teresa May wants to look at the deal before giving it the go ahead. Just now elitricity costs 42p per kilwatt the deal is DDF France gets 92p per kilwatt. The Chinese are throwing in a lot of money also what are they getting back for putting money up front. The whole thing is a farce.

What EDF France and what the French will get out of it are nowhere near the same thing.

We should know by now that trying to get ANY corporation tax out of these companies is virtually impossible. The only thing that counts is jobs. If the jobs are in the UK nothing else matters. If EDF were British owned it would make little difference.

You are getting all worked up about the wrong thing.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

Given that EDF is state owned then they're exactly the same thing. You did know that, right?

Actually I didnt know that TBH. Fair enough.

ETA you do have to wonder something though. If EDF are making so much money out if this, why did their Finance Director recently quit over fears that this might financially damage EDF.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35741772

Edited by oaksoft

Short term pain v long term gain. The ones who have gone don't believe the threats involved in the former justify the perceived benefits of the latter and those in favour of the latter - all the other board members - won.

5 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Short term pain v long term gain. The ones who have gone don't believe the threats involved in the former justify the perceived benefits of the latter and those in favour of the latter - all the other board members - won.

Could you put that in laymen's term. :mellow:

22 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You do know this statement makes no sense whatsoever?

Nothing factual and so full of holes it could be used a net for our next match.

My previous position and current position are considerably different so the comparison on salary is pointless.

I am only here in Saudi because I was made redundant some time ago due to the slump in the price of oil as I stay in the north east which has been hit very hard.

I have always chosen to work close enough to home to get home every night, a few offers in the past have been very lucrative but that's not what floats my boat.

People who work offshore make a choice and, yes, I know plenty who freely admit they do next to nothing for long periods, boredom being one of their biggest enemies.

"I once saw a shell tech get a hold of a steward, stand on his foot and push him over for a laugh.  the guy got 3 broken metatarsals and even though he was an innocent victim was sacked for horseplay , the Shell tech got off scot-free".

Your hilarious story above is so far fetched it comes into the "Aye, good yin" category but if that what makes you happy, fire in.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about people who make lots of money, don't let it bother you, someone has to be poor for some else to be rich. 

As for a woosh............... aye, if ye like. :lol: 

You need to realise that it is not all about you and let things go now and again

You'll feel better, in the long run