North Sea Oil Workers

shull

59 minutes ago, tony soprano said:

Combination of renewable including pv panels, wind, tidal and hydro.
All invest more in local generation.

UK gov has consistently withdrawn funding from renewable research like tidal which is stupid when we are a fecking island.

Sent fae ma fone

I think the local bit is the vital part. Each area should be providing their own sources right down to the individual house. All new builds should come with solar panelling.

We might even need to get to the point where we start rationing energy or having tarriffs which penalise increasing use rather than the other way round.

17 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

They're posited on an independent Scotland, FTOF, not UK - long term strategic thinking could be possible.

To be fair the Scottish government has been forward thinking with regard to renewables, but with the UK government not really giving a f**k about renewables, they're doing it with one arm tied behind their back.

Just now, oaksoft said:

No way should this nuclear plant be opened until they can provide a solution to how the waste will be dealt with.

Why on earth would we leave the mess for our children to clean up?

So we dont have to reduce our iPhone usage?

Spot on.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The wind turbine problem isnt one of varying wind. Its lack of storage.

Solar power IS part of the solution. They are not incorporated into every house because of cost. They should be legislated to do so though.

The problem with Hydro is one of suitable location. I remember an expert on this explaining how we had very few suitable locations for big stations. Maybe we need to be more creative and think about micro hydro.

The biggest problem our society has it that we havent woken up yet to the necessity of pursuing all of this.

People are not interested. People want an easy life.

I get that. What I dont get is people struggling to understand the basic fact that we have no future at all if we dont move from non renewable energy.

Do people not understand what non renewable means or are they simply uninterested as long as they can access facebook?

So house builders should incorporate solar panels into every new build at great cost, yet previously you slated the high, unaffordable cost of a new house. I really do wish you'd stick with one line of wind up at a time. :rolleyes:

I've told you before I would only ever believe in any political parties "Green" credentials if they started to pour grants and funding into the many different ways that we can cut energy consumption before going down the more expensive and inefficient route of pouring cash down the hole that is renewable energy. Increase the efficiency of what we have just now. Use the gas and oil powered power stations but use the latest developments in combustion to ensure a far higher percentage burn rate than we currently get and minimise the heat loss. Encourage bosses to stagger shift times and to facilitate far more working from home to stop the wasteful rush hour congestion we see in every major city today. If you are going to facilitate a Help To Buy Scheme to stimulate new house purchases, ensure that grant money is only available for homes designed to be zero energy rated.

Governments are far too pre occupied with the tax revenues they get from the sale of energy to want to cut consumption. Therein lies the reason why we see governments like the Scottish one pissing away huge sums of money on wasteful, inefficient schemes like all these f**king wind turbines.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

Oil price drops, workers take the hit. Not the shareholders or the CEO? f**k that!

Oh FFS. You do understand that as profits decline, and even turn into losses, it is the shareholders who take the hit don't you? And often a far bigger hit than the 22% some of these workers are bleating on about. And guess who the shareholders are? Yep, in many cases they are our pension schemes.

2 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Oh FFS. You do understand that as profits decline, and even turn into losses, it is the shareholders who take the hit don't you? And often a far bigger hit than the 22% some of these workers are bleating on about. And guess who the shareholders are? Yep, in many cases they are our pension schemes.

You are clueless.

The way private companies offset losses for shareholders is by reducing costs. Often labour costs. They do this so there isn't a shock reaction that hits  the share price, therefore reducing the perceived profit.

This is basic economics. Can you grasp this?

1 minute ago, Drew said:

You are clueless.

The way private companies offset losses for shareholders is by reducing costs. Often labour costs. They do this so there isn't a shock reaction that hits  the share price, therefore reducing the perceived profit.

This is basic economics. Can you grasp this?

Here

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/21d88b66-5496-11e6-befd-2fc0c26b3c60.html#axzz4FpPUvn8j

And you think I'm clueless....:rolleyes:

Guest TPAFKATS
I can't access that without subscribing.

Why not try to answer yourself?

Incidentally, where did you study economics?

I'm sure Kevin Hague was his professor

Sent fae ma fone

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

I can't access that without subscribing.

Why not try to answer yourself?

Incidentally, where did you study economics?

Its a profits warning from Shell saying their profits will be down 72% this year.

I don't see any workers taking a 72% pay cut, but the shareholders will have to and that's on top of the loss of the value of their shares.

Workers can't have it all their own way. When the market booms they see wage inflation as companies compete to hire them but when there is a downturn workers want to hang onto their high rates of pay.

Try this line for the same story without a paywall

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/energy/shell-profits-plunge-72-percent-weak-oil-prices-54b-takeover-n618691

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Guest TPAFKATS
So house builders should incorporate solar panels into every new build at great cost, yet previously you slated the high, unaffordable cost of a new house. I really do wish you'd stick with one line of wind up at a time. :rolleyes:

I've told you before I would only ever believe in any political parties "Green" credentials if they started to pour grants and funding into the many different ways that we can cut energy consumption before going down the more expensive and inefficient route of pouring cash down the hole that is renewable energy. Increase the efficiency of what we have just now. Use the gas and oil powered power stations but use the latest developments in combustion to ensure a far higher percentage burn rate than we currently get and minimise the heat loss. Encourage bosses to stagger shift times and to facilitate far more working from home to stop the wasteful rush hour congestion we see in every major city today. If you are going to facilitate a Help To Buy Scheme to stimulate new house purchases, ensure that grant money is only available for homes designed to be zero energy rated.

Governments are far too pre occupied with the tax revenues they get from the sale of energy to want to cut consumption. Therein lies the reason why we see governments like the Scottish one pissing away huge sums of money on wasteful, inefficient schemes like all these f**king wind turbines.

Could you inform us how much tax revenues the Scottish Government get from energy consumption?

Sent fae ma fone

Guest TPAFKATS
I think the local bit is the vital part. Each area should be providing their own sources right down to the individual house. All new builds should come with solar panelling.

We might even need to get to the point where we start rationing energy or having tarriffs which penalise increasing use rather than the other way round.

If you take the subsidies currently given to nuclear and invest them in local energy projects...

Sent fae ma fone

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Its a profits warning from Shell saying their profits will be down 72% this year.

I don't see any workers taking a 72% pay cut, but the shareholders will have to and that's on top of the loss of the value of their shares.

Workers can't have it all their own way. When the market booms they see wage inflation as companies compete to hire them but when there is a downturn workers want to hang onto their high rates of pay.

Try this line for the same story without a paywall

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/energy/shell-profits-plunge-72-percent-weak-oil-prices-54b-takeover-n618691

Now he asked you a VERY simple question.

Where did you study economics?

Answer the man.

Just now, tony soprano said:

Glasgow University, during his lunch break when reading the financial page of the sun

Sent fae ma fone

Yep that's it. I sat next to Shull and Faraway Saint. They bullied me and I did their homework for them. Alex Salmond was the dunce of the class. We all knew RBS were in trouble the minute he went to work for them

Edited by Stuart Dickson

6 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I thought it was rhetorical. Glasgow University - where did you study it, and where did Drew get his degree :rolleyes:

Just so we are clear. You graduated from Glasgow University with an economics degree?

I graduated from Paisley University with a degree in Industrial Sociology with Economics in 1992.

54 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I thought it was rhetorical. Glasgow University - where did you study it, and where did Drew get his degree :rolleyes:

Whilst I have two degrees and a PhD, none of that is in economics.

I would add though that it isnt me waddling around calling everybody economically illiterate.

It also isnt me who spends 5 minutes of my tea break reading the FT and deluding myself that this makes me an expert.

Edited by oaksoft

46 minutes ago, Drew said:

Just so we are clear. You graduated from Glasgow University with an economics degree?

I graduated from Paisley University with a degree in Industrial Sociology with Economics in 1992.

No, to be clear I was taking the piss. I'd have thought that was obvious :rolleyes:

Are you not a bit embarrassed though. You claim to have a degree in Economics, yet you couldn't work out how falling profits would affect the shareholder?

Fortunately I have a son who has a degree and I've long realised that any old idiot can get one. Much as I'm proud of him with his wee photo of him in his robes with his certificate and all that, he still put Super Noodles in the microwave and attempted to cook them without putting them in water. :rolleyes: