The Olympics 2016

shull

That's it over for another four years. Setting aside the arguments about Brazil hosting the games at all (surely the Green Brigade will address the political, economic and social issues surroundng these games), then after being sceptical, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Andy Murray v Del Potro was the most emotional, thrilling tennis match I've ever watched. Mo Farah, Usain Bolt, Neymar's penalty kick. 58 year old Nick Skelton, the lycra-clad fannies, the hockey lassies. The green diving pool water, Justin Rose being genuinely thrilled and up for it in the golf. Adam Peaty smashing world records. Nicola Adams... Gubbing the Chinese.

Memorable stuff.

Edited by pozbaird

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

That's it over for another four years. Setting aside the arguments about Brazil hosting the games at all (surely the Green Brigade will address the political, economic and social issues surroundng these games), then after being sceptical, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Andy Murray v Del Potro was the most emotional, thrilling tennis match I've ever watched. Mo Farah, Usain Bolt, Neymar's penalty kick. 58 year old Nick Skelton, the lycra-clad fannies, the hockey lassies. The green diving pool water, Justin Rose being genuinely thrilled and up for it in the golf. Adam Peaty smashing world records. Nicola Adams... Gubbing the Chinese.

Memorable stuff.

Yeah.....got to add Jade Jones to the list and it was great to see Christine Ohuruogu complete her set of Olympic medals with the womens 4x400m team at the age of 32. And although Katarina Johnson-Thompson finished a disappointing 11th in the heptathlon, it was interesting to note that her high jump in that event would have won gold had she done it in the actual high jump event itself. 

The only real downside for me was the BBC Coverage. This time round it just seemed to be hours and hours of endless mind numbing filling and it's the first time I can ever remember being truly critical of BBC Coverage of a major event like this. 

3 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Yeah.....got to add Jade Jones to the list and it was great to see Christine Ohuruogu complete her set of Olympic medals with the womens 4x400m team at the age of 32. And although Katarina Johnson-Thompson finished a disappointing 11th in the heptathlon, it was interesting to note that her high jump in that event would have won gold had she done it in the actual high jump event itself. 

The only real downside for me was the BBC Coverage. This time round it just seemed to be hours and hours of endless mind numbing filling and it's the first time I can ever remember being truly critical of BBC Coverage of a major event like this. 

Are you EVER happy?

Seriously do you ever post something which is entirely positive without feeling the need for a wee dig at someone at the end?

Guest TPAFKATS

I'd agree the coverage, esp from such a major broadcaster was poor. Farcical at times, including missing a sprint in Cavendish final event while they switched over to bbc2.

Interesting comment re Ohuruogu - previously served a ban fir doping. Just as well she isn't Russian...

2 hours ago, tony soprano said:

I'd agree the coverage, esp from such a major broadcaster was poor. Farcical at times, including missing a sprint in Cavendish final event while they switched over to bbc2.

Interesting comment re Ohuruogu - previously served a ban fir doping. Just as well she isn't Russian...

She did NOT serve a ban for doping.

She served a ban for missing a test.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

You are correct in saying she served a ban for missing a test. But if she hadn't evaded two previously, then the third test she evaded wouldn't have been a banning offence on its own. emoji6.png

The word "evaded" suggests intent so I would use "missed" but yes it was three tests she missed - just had a wee look again.

The key point is that she did not get a ban for doping.

Can't believe it was a decade ago.

NRTP athletes are supposed to constantly update the ADAM system with their whereabouts using an app on their phone. Back in 2006 there was no app, just a cumbersome website. And if you aren't where you say you are you've missed a test.

It's not the most efficient system but it's the best UK Athletics has come up with.

The only issue I had with the BBC coverage was what seemed like a constant switching from BBC1 to BBC2, from BBC2 back to BBC1 and back again. I suppose they had to juggle balls and keep them up in the air so they must have had their reasons. Oh, forgot, another issue I have is Hazel Irvine and her co-commentator's inane ramblings over the opening and closing ceremony. They are talking over the Brazilian national anthem at the opening, telling you it's a beautiful rendition... Is it? Would be if we could hear it but you two gobby fcukers were talking all the way through it.

10 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Yeah, my only criticisms are the BBC for:

- the amount of pundits/Liggers they managed to send over there and pay - at our expense.... e.g. did they really need 6 to cover the swimming alone? It would be interesting to know exactly how many they actually sent...

- After Andy Murray winning a thrilling Final, the commentator's shite comment about the "band of England supporters" grrrrr

- the constant swapping of channels whilst in the middle of a game/bout/race (especially the Tennis) for no good reason.  I'm sure a lot of folk missed the climax of a few events if they had set up the recorder.