Raith v Saints Sat 13th Aug.

Have just watch 12 mins of highlights. As FTOP said we should have had 2 pens but we got off light at only losing 3 goals. All goals we lost were dreadful with the 1st coming 10 sec after a bye kick from us. The 2nd 20 sec from a corner from us and the last was the worst of them all with Webster totally to blame :(

2 hours ago, billyg said:

The signs are there already I'm afraid. Ian Murray had some decent players at his disposal last season yet still found it possible to make space for players who weren't good enough. Rae is doing the exact same thing this time , and it will prove to be his downfall. Listening to GLS , he sees us as a Premier league club . If we're heading in the wrong direction and off the pace in the league early on, he won't wait as long as Gilmour and Co did before changing it.

Billy, as the bid was well underway and he was already a significant shareholder, I would have expected that the extension of Rae's contract by Gilmour & co would have at least been run past GLS.  I think he needs to sit down and think hard about things over the next few days, not weeks or months.  there is no progression and you could even argue that with the amount of money spent and the players retained/brought in over his entire tenure, then we have regressed under Rae.  It's not just the current signings, he kept on players last year that should have been chased.  over the piece, he just doesn't cut it.

it's not about not being able to afford the changeover costs, it's more about can we afford not to act?

Whilst I'm pissed off at Rae continuously blaming the players and not taking responsibility for poor tactics that even the most ordinary fan can see is not working, I think it's very early to be talking about change in manager.

His contract is up at the end of the season. He has to finish in top 4 out of a league of 10. A league that contains two part time teams. If he fails to achieve this then his contract shouldn't be renewed.

The only time I'd be considering changing this season if it becomes evidently clear that we are going to end up nowhere near the top 4.

You can't sack him for goodness sake. If he's still not cutting it come halfway stage then fair enough he might be under pressure. I think we must do alot better but to be fair we have some pretty average players, Gallagher and naismith have been poor but I actually don't find that a surprise as they are average at best. people keep building folk up but they need to look at the guys and see they are not producing. Mallan misses a defensive player in there and Hutton hasn't set it alight. I only hope they shake up and improve but I am not certain they have it in them

I thought Raith bullied us yesterday, particularly in the centre of the park.  The number of stray passes from Mallan and Hutton was shocking, we really need to toughen up in there.  It's hard to believe that the manager, who was a tough tackling midfielder in his day, doesn't have one in his team. 

Is there anyone in the squad who could do a job in that role? Irvine, Naismith maybe? Mallan and Quinn are better higher up the park Hutton, who has been extremely poor, doesn't look capable of being the ball winner we need. 

Getting rid of Goodwin is the worst decision Rae has ever made, it actually really pisses me off.

Every game in this league is a battle and so far we've lost two of them and fortunate to have one point.

18 hours ago, norrie82 said:

Dibble morton beat us by a point or two and lost to us twice and drew twice they were not miles ahead of us. We are all over the place at present and what I saw today as as bad as ian Murrays team. Goodwin shouldn't have been released as for the money wean pay he brought leadership and organisation and ability three things we don't have. Prior to his injury last year he was our best player and he could have say in the middle breaking up attacks and allowing mallan the ability to play his own game and create things. Mallan is now running around tirelessly trying to break up attacks and start them which isn't working. Hutton isn't at the level we had hoped for yet but again would definitely benefit from jims presence. Alex rae was 35 and a battle hardened pro when he won the league with rangers. He was combative and aggressive the same as jim. Why when money is tight would you bin jim when you know to replace that type of guy costs a fortune. I will be criticised because jim wasn't perfect but he was a leader and a guy I'd Rather was in my team than not. Where was the l was the leadership and organisation today?

For most of last season Morton were the best part of a dozen points ahead of us was the point I was making about them and us last season. Not many people predicted we would draw or struggle in the opening game.

9 hours ago, billyg said:

The signs are there already I'm afraid. Ian Murray had some decent players at his disposal last season yet still found it possible to make space for players who weren't good enough. Rae is doing the exact same thing this time , and it will prove to be his downfall. Listening to GLS , he sees us as a Premier league club . If we're heading in the wrong direction and off the pace in the league early on, he won't wait as long as Gilmour and Co did before changing it.

The first month of the season would not be the same without billyg sharpening the knives...

7 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Billy, as the bid was well underway and he was already a significant shareholder, I would have expected that the extension of Rae's contract by Gilmour & co would have at least been run past GLS.  I think he needs to sit down and think hard about things over the next few days, not weeks or months.  there is no progression and you could even argue that with the amount of money spent and the players retained/brought in over his entire tenure, then we have regressed under Rae.  It's not just the current signings, he kept on players last year that should have been chased.  over the piece, he just doesn't cut it.

it's not about not being able to afford the changeover costs, it's more about can we afford not to act?

We've regressed since looking like candidates for the relegation play offs last winter?

1 hour ago, Yardley said:

I thought Raith bullied us yesterday, particularly in the centre of the park.  The number of stray passes from Mallan and Hutton was shocking, we really need to toughen up in there.  It's hard to believe that the manager, who was a tough tackling midfielder in his day, doesn't have one in his team. 

Is there anyone in the squad who could do a job in that role? Irvine, Naismith maybe? Mallan and Quinn are better higher up the park Hutton, who has been extremely poor, doesn't look capable of being the ball winner we need. 

Getting rid of Goodwin is the worst decision Rae has ever made, it actually really pisses me off.

Every game in this league is a battle and so far we've lost two of them and fortunate to have one point.

Naismith's passing abilities could help us in the middle of the park? He's a right back who doesn't track back or mark his man... here's hoping no one suggests playing him in front of the defence to provide some bite and dig!

21 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The first month of the season would not be the same without billyg sharpening the knives...

Absolutely. I had the knives out early for Craig and Murray and was proved correct in my concerns. Hopefully not as long for Rae , he's clueless !

I watched the highlights that someone posted a link to. It wasn't all bad. Stevie Mallan finally managed to find a St Mirren player with a pass....:rolleyes: 

St Mirren fans are a really fickle bunch though. Just a few weeks ago I was pretty much on my own in criticising the St Mirren performance against Livingston. I said the team looked more static than players on a fusbal table, that the defence looked worse than ropey and I said there was a massive over reliance on getting Lewis Morgan to do something, anything as the only player being given a creative licence in the team. I was told I was being harsh. St Mirren had won. It was early season. The team were still gelling. That I shouldn't expect the team to be match fit and ready for the first competitive match of the season,. The team looked great on paper etc, etc. 

Now, a few weeks on it seems the penny has finally dropped and there's a realisation that the team is too static and that the defence is worse than ropey. And now there's calls for the manager to be sacked just 2 matches into the new season....:rolleyes: 

10 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

We've regressed since looking like candidates for the relegation play offs last winter?

Yep

the standard of play is even worse than it was at this point last year

Given the time the manager has had to exert his influence and authority, which is way more than Murray had at this point last year, then we are in a worse state.

The real gamble will be giving him the chance to improve.  Others have improved while we have gotten worse.  Of course it could change, but I don't see Rae turning this around, his so-called key players just are not there.

5 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Well done to Jason Naismith who just managed to squeeze just and no more into the TV picture for Raith's second goal. Who says our right back who isn't allowed over the half way line under clueless Alex Rae is always out the picture when the goals are conceded?

Naismith just does not look the player he was, a sharp deterioration.

On 08/13/2016 at 5:08 PM, Kendo said:

If we really have a good squad who are not performing then it's clear where the problem lies.

We all largely agree on what we lack in terms of the squad, but I also think the lack of a clear leader on the park is costing us dearly. Let's be honest, is anyone out there captain material?

I don't want to rake over the Goodwin scenario, as it is now done and dusted, regardless of how we view the decision.  That said, we have no-one who seems to want to take responsibility just now. That's simply not good enough if the club aspire to securing a top league  berth in the coming 5 years.

Edited by Drew

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:25 PM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Well not everyone can be as good a manager as Iain Murray - the man you were still hailing 10 months ago.

The problem was never Ian Murray, although he didn't help. Ok under IM we had just been relegated unhappy board and unhappy squad. So whats the problem this year?

6 hours ago, rabuddies said:

Give him a chance. He's only played a handful of games since he returned from a serious injury. It can take half a season to get back to full speed.

He was the same defensively in the SPL relegation season under Tommy Craig and Gary Teale in the barcode strip. (Although he was crossing the halfway line to support attacks then).

Just watched the highlights and thought we created quite a few chances. The problems are at the back and defensive midfield. We could have conceded ten at the weekend. I wonder if Rae and the cab driver spend any time organising the defence? Compare us to Morton's defence last week, player for player they are probably weaker but are much better organized. And they are coached by Jim Duffy FFS!

Just watched the highlights and thought we created quite a few chances. The problems are at the back and defensive midfield. We could have conceded ten at the weekend. I wonder if Rae and the cab driver spend any time organising the defence? Compare us to Morton's defence last week, player for player they are probably weaker but are much better organized. And they are coached by Jim Duffy FFS!

Jim Duffy is a great coach... And very well genned up on defending being very adept at that skill himself.