1877 Club

div

20 hours ago, div said:

Probably first and foremost we should try and understand how the space and the 1877 club is run.

My understanding, and this might be wrong, is that the bar and space is  owned and operated by the football club.

The club staff it whenever it is in use, they set the room up, they stock the bar, and I believe the club takes the bar takings.

The club is in charge of renting the space out on non-matchdays.

The Fans Council basically rent the club on matchdays and presumably on any other day they want it they can rent it, presumably at a reduced or nil cost.

So on a matchday the Fans Council is a customer of the football club.

So I'd reckon that the entry system is entirely up to the Fans Council to decide on, working within whatever limitations there are on the license?

Am I wrong?

If this is the case , why does the fan council not come out and admit they have got it all wrong . 

Its not to late to change the format which will let them and the club making more money

santaponsa keeps saying its nothing to do with them when it obviously is.

is it a case its our baw and were keeping it for the elitist

From what I understand the club make all the profits from the bar and the majority from the £6 guest fee so its in the clubs interests surely to get more folk attending although it could be a tricky balance for the club if the members bar becomes an alternative to booking hospitality.

The guys who organised the club done a great job, it just needs tweaking and its early days.

Another option going forward may be to reduce the monthly fees to £5 as that would certainly increase the membership although when you think of all the other grounds in Scotland that have bars they are all free to enter as far as I know which means more footfall and long term profits. The big difference is that the club have to recoup the costs of building the bar / club but the quickest way to do this surely is to have the bar packed every game .

The £6 guest fee certainly needs to be abolished / adjusted  regardless of the way forward as unless 200 members attend each game the club will be missing out on lots of potential revenue.

Another few simple ideas that are free and would enhance the atmosphere. Announce the teams an hour before kick off each game in the bar , just need a microphone and you are sorted. Also any players injured / not selected could pop in and get pictures with the kids etc... Get some saints songs on 30 mins before kick off etc.... Basically do everything you can to make it different from the pubs in Paisley.

When speaking to the guys last season I know there was no budget left for tables and chairs and this needs to be sorted, surely the board could find the money to fund this ? To start with just spending £600 would add seating for 40 people.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6036298.htm

5 minutes ago, kevmcnal said:

From what I understand the club make all the profits from the bar and the majority from the £6 guest fee so its in the clubs interests surely to get more folk attending although it could be a tricky balance for the club if the members bar becomes an alternative to booking hospitality.

The guys who organised the club done a great job, it just needs tweaking and its early days.

Another option going forward may be to reduce the monthly fees to £5 as that would certainly increase the membership although when you think of all the other grounds in Scotland that have bars they are all free to enter as far as I know which means more footfall and long term profits. The big difference is that the club have to recoup the costs of building the bar / club but the quickest way to do this surely is to have the bar packed every game .

The £6 guest fee certainly needs to be abolished / adjusted  regardless of the way forward as unless 200 members attend each game the club will be missing out on lots of potential revenue.

Another few simple ideas that are free and would enhance the atmosphere. Announce the teams an hour before kick off each game in the bar , just need a microphone and you are sorted. Also any players injured / not selected could pop in and get pictures with the kids etc... Get some saints songs on 30 mins before kick off etc.... Basically do everything you can to make it different from the pubs in Paisley.

When speaking to the guys last season I know there was no budget left for tables and chairs and this needs to be sorted, surely the board could find the money to fund this ? To start with just spending £600 would add seating for 40 people.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6036298.htm

Another good post. In regard to making the club different from the pubs in Paisley, it has one, huge, massive, brilliant difference from all the pubs in Paisley.... it is 30 seconds away from your seat. The place should be packed.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Another good post. In regard to making the club different from the pubs in Paisley, it has one, huge, massive, brilliant difference from all the pubs in Paisley.... it is 30 seconds away from your seat. The place should be packed.

Great point , even more so in winter when its baltic !

2 minutes ago, kevmcnal said:

Great point , even more so in winter when its baltic !

Indeed, plus if you add in a car park that can take thirty minutes to clear, instead of sitting in your motor waiting with Chick Young and Richard Gordon spouting pish in your lugholes, I'd rather head straight to the club and watch the results on a big screen showing Sky Soccer Saturday, nursing either a wee half-pint / coke / coffee, and pouring over the events of the previous 90 minutes with fellow Buds.

In the spirit of keeping this thread on track here are a few facts :-

The SMFansCouncil trialled a Fan Event to gauge interest , this was held in a marquee and had a pop up bar , tv , kids zone and a live band
Whilst a loss was incurred on the day due to high rental costs of tent , heating etc (which was funded by Fans Council ) the day was viewed a success by the fan uptake and feedback .
This gave the green light to put a plan in place to convince the board ( at the time ) that a permanent facility would be beneficial to enhance the match day experience.
The void area in the club was identified as a venue and a green light would only be given if the Fans council could raise funds and interest. This happened with 200 fans commuting to a founders fee of £50 per head . This £10k gave the project a start . The next step was to get Saints Fans to show commitment to a members club by commuting to a subscription - over 200 fans signed up with a promise that the monies would be taken once the club was a reality.
So the Fans Council was the vehicle to get it up and running - this has happened .
This club was handed over to SMFC and is operated by St.Mirren F.C.
A management committee is set up to deal with all matters re the running of the club
This is headed up by Alan Wardrop who is now a Director of St.Mirren under the New Management team,
So the club is now in the hands of the person who started the trial and project managed the completion .
A suggestion would be to send your ideas for improvement direct to him
The club itself has only been opened on match day a handful of times and for those who have visited it is impressive
We just need to now treat it as an income generator to help the team and St.Mirren

5 minutes ago, 1877SMFC said:

The SMFansCouncil trialled a Fan Event to gauge interest , this was held in a marquee and had a pop up bar , tv , kids zone and a live band
Whilst a loss was incurred on the day due to high rental costs of tent , heating etc (which was funded by Fans Council ) the day was viewed a success by the fan uptake and feedback .
This gave the green light to put a plan in place to convince the board ( at the time ) that a permanent facility would be beneficial to enhance the match day experience.
The void area in the club was identified as a venue and a green light would only be given if the Fans council could raise funds and interest. This happened with 200 fans commuting to a founders fee of £50 per head . This £10k gave the project a start . The next step was to get Saints Fans to show commitment to a members club by commuting to a subscription - over 200 fans signed up with a promise that the monies would be taken once the club was a reality.
So the Fans Council was the vehicle to get it up and running - this has happened .
A management committee is set up to deal with all matters re the running of the club
This is headed up by Alan Wardrop who is now a Director of St.Mirren under the New Management team,
So the club is now in the hands of the person who started the trial and project managed the completion .
The club itself has only been opened on match day a handful of times and for those who have visited it is impressive
We just need to now treat it as an income generator to help the team and St.Mirren

That's good to hear and good to know.

The club IS impressive, there is absolutely no doubt about that.

Great to hear there is a committee in place to look after the club, and I'm sure in the coming weeks we will perhaps see them implement some positive changes that make the club open to more supporters with an improved atmosphere and more revenue generated as a result.

I'm not looking to start anything here, but I think we all agree that it's wrong to find this out on a forum.

1 minute ago, cockles1987 said:

What information provided did you not know?

As I'm sure all that was written is/has been in the public domain for some time.

I learned that Alan Wardrop should be the one to correspond with. Alan Wardrop for suggestions, Campbell Kennedy for complaints. It's been an informative thread. Got a feeling it ain't over either.

5 hours ago, 1877SMFC said:

Let me see if I'm getting this right. The Football Club is a £multi million business. It's "customers" - The Fans Council - had a proposal to create a bar at the stadium. The £multi million business told them to run their own event to gauge interest. The Fans Council set up an event which ran at a loss and from that they decided that a bar at the stadium was a viable business proposition. Now if I'm understanding this right what then followed was an agreement by the Fans Council to rent a space in the stadium, to set up a club with members paying subscriptions, those subscriptions would pay for the fitting out of the space turning it into a bar where the members would only control the space 18 days a year - they'd have to apply to the £multi million business to let out the space the membership paid for and built on non match days. And if they happened to turn any sort of a profit from the 18 days a year they were going to be allowed to use the facility - remembering that the £multi million pound business wasn't letting them retain any of the profit from the bar - they'd have to hand all that over to the £multi million business without ever consulting with their membership to see if they felt that was an appropriate use of their money. Indeed even more bizarre, the membership paying all these subscriptions don't even have a mechanism that allows them to decide what kind of alcohol is stocked. And then on top of that the business genius that agreed to all of this is then made a director of the said £multi million business a few months later. 

And the Fans Council wonder why some on the forum view them as the previous boards poodles. 

FTOF might be right. Maybe there are other football clubs where relatively simple concepts are f**ked up as wildly. 

Let me see if I'm getting this right. The Football Club is a £multi million business. It's "customers" - The Fans Council - had a proposal to create a bar at the stadium. The £multi million business told them to run their own event to gauge interest. The Fans Council set up an event which ran at a loss and from that they decided that a bar at the stadium was a viable business proposition. Now if I'm understanding this right what then followed was an agreement by the Fans Council to rent a space in the stadium, to set up a club with members paying subscriptions, those subscriptions would pay for the fitting out of the space turning it into a bar where the members would only control the space 18 days a year - they'd have to apply to the £multi million business to let out the space the membership paid for and built on non match days. And if they happened to turn any sort of a profit from the 18 days a year they were going to be allowed to use the facility - remembering that the £multi million pound business wasn't letting them retain any of the profit from the bar - they'd have to hand all that over to the £multi million business without ever consulting with their membership to see if they felt that was an appropriate use of their money. Indeed even more bizarre, the membership paying all these subscriptions don't even have a mechanism that allows them to decide what kind of alcohol is stocked. And then on top of that the business genius that agreed to all of this is then made a director of the said £multi million business a few months later. 

And the Fans Council wonder why some on the forum view them as the previous boards poodles. 

FTOF might be right. Maybe there are other football clubs where relatively simple concepts are f**ked up as wildly. 

Clarification - The only reason the trial made a loss on the day was due to rental of the marquee and the heating hire.
If an area which is already within the stadium is used as a storage room can be converted into a bar and then used on match day and of course as a function area sounds a good idea .
To me and any business person this would be classed as sweating your asset. The only thing that remains is for this area to be used more frequently and for more uses.
The Street stuff team already use it to practice and have functions as it has a wooden floor and they do not have to rent out other halls
As stated previously the club is in its infancy and there is an opportunity for members to get involved and shape its future.
It would be good to see this energy channelled in a positive direction rather than sit back and snipe.
If everyone connected with SMFC had sat back and did that then we would still have a large area in the club called a void area / storage room
We had that for 7 years
Now let's make the club a success by getting ideas put into action and supporting the new owners with a positive productive culture .

Probably first and foremost we should try and understand how the space and the 1877 club is run.

My understanding, and this might be wrong, is that the bar and space is  owned and operated by the football club.

The club staff it whenever it is in use, they set the room up, they stock the bar, and I believe the club takes the bar takings.

The club is in charge of renting the space out on non-matchdays.

The Fans Council basically rent the club on matchdays and presumably on any other day they want it they can rent it, presumably at a reduced or nil cost.

So on a matchday the Fans Council is a customer of the football club.

So I'd reckon that the entry system is entirely up to the Fans Council to decide on, working within whatever limitations there are on the license?

Am I wrong?

Half right Div. We the FC do not rent it in anyway. We or mainly Alan Wardrop fund raised and got trades to do the build work to what was the void. At the time the board and no plans to develop the void as they were selling the club. The only way to pay the builders back was to make it a members club and the membership fees going to pay back the builders 2k a month. Now it's not the greatest way on doing it. But at the time in 2014 when it was 1st suggested this was the only way of getting it done. As the selling consortium were in no postion to say when the club would be sold the decision was taken to go down the route we did with the help of Director Ian Henderson. Until someone pays the trades back it will continue in this way. Build was about 35k. Hope this helps Div.