1877 Club

div

14 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So you think we should turn our back on those in our community who may be temporarily skint? 

Thats an outstanding business idea for a club sited in one of the most deprived areas of the UK. Glad you did your homework on that one.

For someone who is so far up his own arse you sure do spout some shite.

You try to play the "I know it all" and yet have the business acumen of someone who has no concrete idea.

Playing the "oh, look at me, I'm helping the poor" is a nice try but sure as hell won't make the failing club a success.

Run along and play your games elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

For someone who is so far up his own arse you sure do spout some shite.

You try to play the "I know it all" and yet have the business acumen of someone who has no concrete idea.

Playing the "oh, look at me, I'm helping the poor" is a nice try but sure as hell won't make the failing club a success.

Run along and play your games elsewhere. 

So nothing on the community then?

*Hypothetically*

And unhappy you should be. Unhappy that you bought into a scheme that was never going to be successful. 

If it has to change because it doesn't make money then tough, you need to deal with that. Think of it as being similar to creditors accepting a CVA when a company is on the brink... 

It might not be fair, but it would, without doubt, be for the greater good. Life isn't fair.

Good idea. Let's storm corporate at home games as well. It's patently unfair that these corporate types get food and drink in return for money. They will surely appreciate that life's not fair and that it's for the greater good.

Why do many say that this club is failing?

200 members put up £50 each a contribution of circa 10k

200 members have contributed £10 a month for 5 months generating another 10k

Yes the bar could be a lot busier but to call it a failure or failing is off the mark. 

It would still be a void if it hadn't been for the fans contributing to get this built. It would appear people who didn't support the bar being built are the people obsessed with saving a "failing" bar built by contributions from 200 fans. Generating circa 20k contributions over 5 months is a pretty good achievement in my opinion.

Hopefully the bar will evolve and be open to one and all over time. As far as I'm concerned the most important thing is that the club now has another asset that wasn't there only 5 months ago.

Yes the bar could be a lot busier but to call it a failure or failing is off the mark. 

It would still be a void if it hadn't been for the fans contributing to get this built. It would appear people who didn't support the bar being built are the people obsessed with saving a "failing" bar built by contributions from 200 fans. Generating circa 20k contributions over 5 months is a pretty good achievement in my opinion.

Hopefully the bar will evolve and be open to one and all over time. As far as I'm concerned the most important thing is that the club now has another asset that wasn't there only 5 months ago.

I think this is fairly accurate. It is working in the fashion it was set up but it perhaps should have been set up differently so that it could at least have looked better utilised.

As ever it is very easy to be wise after the event. A group of fans put a project together and delivered...fundamentally well done.

But some will object to anything they are not at the center of

The fact of the matter is that i'd far rather go to the pub. I'm not interested in paying yet more money out for the privileged of getting in to the bar at the stadium. Other clubs as i've said have club bars that let home and away supporters in. To get supporters who like a few pints before the game into the bar they'll need to make it a far more attractive proposition, otherwise i and many others will keep going elsewhere.

1 hour ago, rea said:

I think this is fairly accurate. It is working in the fashion it was set up but it perhaps should have been set up differently so that it could at least have looked better utilised.

As ever it is very easy to be wise after the event. A group of fans put a project together and delivered...fundamentally well done.

Well not really, the thread was started by a member (div) who said "however it's clear to me already that the membership structure isn't working" and that "longer term I think the entrance structure is going to have to changed".

As long as the membership remains high enough to make the repayments and wants to remain exclusive (after all that's how it was marketed) then everything's hunky-dory as they've got first dibs on it. But like I said to fill the place will require free entry on a first come, first served basis rather than tinkering with the guest admittance structure.

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 hours ago, Kendo said:

Not quite true. They didn't take any subs out over the summer. At least I don't think they did :blink:

You are right to a point. There is £2k a month (give or take as there are some junior members at £5 a month) coming in whether anyone sets foot in the place or not. That's going towards paying the builders I assume. It's also in use during the week for various community things, some dance classes or something like that.

My point initially was really that we have this brilliant facility, and it really is excellent, and it's just a shame that it is sitting half empty on matchdays.

If there was any way of increasing the utilisation then more people would get to enjoy it, and the club itself would start making some money out of the bar.

That was it really. I know I'm not alone in thinking that!

20 minutes ago, div said:

Not quite true. They didn't take any subs out over the summer. At least I don't think they did :blink:

You are right to a point. There is £2k a month (give or take as there are some junior members at £5 a month) coming in whether anyone sets foot in the place or not. That's going towards paying the builders I assume. It's also in use during the week for various community things, some dance classes or something like that.

My point initially was really that we have this brilliant facility, and it really is excellent, and it's just a shame that it is sitting half empty on matchdays.

If there was any way of increasing the utilisation then more people would get to enjoy it, and the club itself would start making some money out of the bar.

That was it really. I know I'm not alone in thinking that!

Yes I can't disagree with any of that, I didn't realise the subscriptions weren't taken during the summer. :hammer

The stadium has been going with a void since it opened umpteen years ago. Most supporters wanted a bar and now we have one.

The biggest bone of contention would appear that this bar should be open to all. Something that I think we all agree on.

The only option to have a bar at the time was the members option. There wasn't another choice other than to continue with a void. I'm sure a way will be found to open up the bar to all and it will be done with no or very minimal cost to the club. 

Surely in the long run this has got to be a good thing?

I was recently at the Stone Roses gig at the Etihad. We spent most of the evening, prior to the gig, in the Man Shitty supporters bar. I reckon there must have been 5 or 600 in there, getting bladdered and spending a small fortune. My solution therefore, is to get the Stone Roses to play Greenhill Rd and we're quids in...

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

I was recently at the Stone Roses gig at the Etihad. We spent most of the evening, prior to the gig, in the Man Shitty supporters bar. I reckon there must have been 5 or 600 in there, getting bladdered and spending a small fortune. My solution therefore, is to get the Stone Roses to play Greenhill Rd and we're quids in...

What if it was just Ian Brown.

Ok i ,ll get my coat.

10 hours ago, rea said:

The Buds above let you off far too lightly.

It's not just American, it's also sloppy...

"However, some will object to anything at which they are not the centre".

Can you tell that I care little about the use of a Void?

The Buds above let you off far too lightly.

It's not just American, it's also sloppy...

"However, some will object to anything at which they are not the centre".

Can you tell that I care little about the use of a Void?

If i keep using it perhaps it will gain further ground, though i like the fact that both have decreased recently....is there a third way of spelling it....or are we all getting a lot less self centered (sic)1472026278246.jpg

To perhaps put a few straight it is the members of the private club who are raising concerns about it being half empty and under utilised. As far as I know it could be full to the rafters on matchdays. Would be interesting to know how muchnit makes on average per week/month on private hires?

seen a few times that Street Stuff have used it, and perhaps other community groups. Are they charged for the use? Bit surprised to read the members dont pay in during the summer, is that a quarter of a year with no payment towards the fit out debt?

Again it is ultimately up to the members and the club to change things, or not  as both have raised concerns, would be nice to think though that they may consider canvassing their ideas before implemeting change with the wider support to see what people who may consider using it actually want???

if it continues to be tied to a membership model, then however you tinker with it on matchdays, at least, it is targeting a potential customer base of 200 or so, which to date hasn't by the members and clubs view been successful.