1877 Club

div

Yes, I was not aware that there was still a joining fee. That is absolutely bonkers in my opinion!
I genuinely can't understand why you think members should be consulted about anything. They pay their money and it's up to them individually whether or not they think they are getting value from it. If I am a member of a gym they don't ask me if it's ok for them to put the membership prices up. This isn't any different.

Just to play devils advocate.

I guess the difference is that if you've paid a joining fee upfront (equivalent to 5 months membership), and then paid each month you might be a bit miffed if within 6 months of the club opening it was a free for all?

Particularly if there's then a high risk that you can no longer get access to the club because it's full up.

If a gym did that, particularly after encouraging ppl to sign up now whilst they can because demand is high, then they could look a bit disingenuous.

I'm not saying that's what's happened (it hasn't) or that's what's planned, but it might be worth consulting members or at least notifying them ahead of any significant changes being made rather than not consulting them on anything.

Fwiw I'm not a member and my circumstances mean I'd very rarely, if ever, use the club. I do hope it's as busy and as successful as it possibly can be though.

Glad I never joined this, whole weekly moving of goal posts is a shambles.
If this is how fans run things in future, god help us.

Kind of shows you where we are as a support.

Fans moan about not having access to the bar.
Fans get given free access to the bar.
Fans moan about rules being changed.

Truth is you can't please all the fans all of the time.

10 minutes ago, div said:

The constant greetin' is soul destroying. We certainly have a lot of bloody miserable fans.

Apparently its the club what runs it.

The bar itself is owned, staffed and run by the football club.

The 1877 club use it on matchday and set their entry criteria in line with the licensing restriction that exists and the membership structure which they put in place.

The constant greetin' is soul destroying. We certainly have a lot of bloody miserable fans.

Don't know if that's true. They're are a lot of decent fans who have drifted away from the forum because of the vocal negative few. God knows how the manage to follow the Saints when they're so full of pessism

1 hour ago, div said:

It's a classic case of doers and talkers. 

Everytime the doers do something the talkers criticise but aren't prepared to do anything. It's dead easy to sit back and pick holes in any new initiative. 

1 minute ago, BIG BEN said:

Don't know if that's true. They're are a lot of decent fans who have drifted away from the forum because of the vocal negative few. God knows how the manage to follow the Saints when they're so full of pessism

You're spot on. The fans voted 88% to 12% to give the manager extra SMiSA cash for his transfer kitty this month. You wouldn't think it if you read the SMiSA latest update thread on here. 

1 hour ago, div said:

You missed out the first part.

Fans moaned about having a big empty space

Space filled with something to benefit fans....Fans moaned more

ETA ....SOME fans.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

2 hours ago, div said:

The bar itself is owned, staffed and run by the football club.

The 1877 club use it on matchday and set their entry criteria in line with the licensing restriction that exists and the membership structure which they put in place.

So - Once again you needed to backtrack.

By the nature of being a Club - As it were - Social Club - my understanding is that this is open to members and guests and visiting parties where prearranged.

Why not just be upfront?

To be fair - it looks like you have either not had all of the facts or have been misinformed.

Edited by St.Ricky

13 minutes ago, BIG BEN said:

Fair point, but those few who greet the loudest seem to be managing to drag others down with them (intentionally or otherwise).

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Fair point, but those few who greet the loudest seem to be managing to drag others down with them (intentionally or otherwise).

No I can't agree, the thing that gets me down the most is team performances and results. 

1 minute ago, Drew said:

There is a hard core of about a dozen or so arseholes who seem intent on causing mischief, bad mouthing the club and everything associated with it or going out their way to annoy the world simply by the fact they breathe.

People who arrive out of nowhere with weird back stories which often trip them up and expose their lies. Those with ridiculous agendas against the club or individuals associated with it & the ones who ....simply like to moan about everything !

Its getting beyond a joke, i`m all for debate and opinion and i certainly dont want the forum to be moderated to the extent that all "non conforming " voices are silenced but the moaning minority are destroying reasoned debate and driving away good forum contributors.

We can all have bad days / spells / moods.... god knows i`ve had a fair few myself and i am prone to the odd rant but some of the so called fans on here take things to levels most right minded fans would never dream of !  

Your shit stirring , constant doom & gloom & petty vendettas are not helping in what is already a very difficult period in the history of the club you allegedly "support"

Give it a f**kin rest.    Please.:byebye  (there, i asked nice!)

:thumbsdown

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

So - Once again you needed to backtrack.

By the nature of being a Club - As it were - Social Club - my understanding is that this is open to members and guests and visiting parties where prearranged.

Why not just be upfront?

To be fair - it looks like you have either not had all of the facts or have been misinformed.

I'm not backtracking on anything. You are the one who keeps banging on about a Community Interest Company for reasons I'm really not sure.

St.Mirren FC is not a Community Interest Company, nor is it owned by a Community Interest Company.

I've said this a few times, I can't really make it any clearer.

If you don't want to listen that's your call.

6 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Ah

Really?

Very interesting - I was on your side till you posted this. Need to think about this.

So why is it run by a Fans Group?

You do know that a Ltd Company can be a CIC or Vice Versa?

Curiouser and Curiouser.

Ricky, Div is right. The football club is a Ltd Company. SMiSA is a Community Benefit Society. SMiSA own shares in the Ltd company but they don't have a controlling stake or own it outright. SMiSA has an asset lock in place which should mean that none of it's assets can be gifted to a commercial business - yet SMiSA have just gifted St Mirren FC Ltd £9,000 of it's assets. 

The 1877 members bar is a bit more confusing. I was told recently that it actually does have a committee running it although there doesn't appear to have ever been an AGM where members can appoint their representatives to the committee, and there seems to be no process that would allow members to select the brewery they want their alcohol sourced from. 

It's a classic case of doers and talkers. 

Everytime the doers do something the talkers criticise but aren't prepared to do anything. It's dead easy to sit back and pick holes in any new initiative. 

Doing something isn't enough though. Politics is part of every walk of life. If you can't get the people on board you have failed. That isn't pessimism.

Hopefully things change and a consensus is found.

6 hours ago, TsuMirren said:

All much easier to do in 10 years time. As it stands...and this isn't going to be popular, but scew it...there are arguments for and against having a fans council when SMISA is now pushing towards full control. Likewise, SMISA don't have the keys yet so there's obvious arguments about them not running certain things. All very splintered and convoluted. It needs everyone in the room and the discussions to begin, but I think those in the various groups know that.

Come on Kenny. You've got a bit of knowledge about what is going inside the club right now. Do you honestly think the club could stand 10 more years of this ridiculous fragmented power grab - not just from the Fans Council and SMiSA - but also by people from within the club who seem desperate to grab themselves a bit more control? The club is a basket case as it is. What is even more ridiculous is the idea that you suggest there is a case against the Fans Council. Why the hell would you want to cut off a group of people who volunteer their time to the benefit of the club? 

Gilmour set up the Fans Council so to my mind they used to be the devil, but the Fans Council generated over £30k of profit last year, all of which went directly into the club - which then reported a £32k annual profit. What possible argument could there be against having that in your football club? 

SMiSA is a f**king shambles right now. They need to sort themselves out and get their focus back on what their aims and objectives are - which HAS to be buying up the equity in the football club, and pouring resources into benefiting the local community. They've f**ked themselves on the asset lock, made a complete hash of their St Mirren director election and hung themselves with their lack of transparency and their failure to produce minutes of their meetings. You didn't even know if you had been co-opted onto the board at SMiSA or if you were just attending it to nod your head and to get the beers in, FFS! The club needs the Fan Council as it's vehicle into better fundraising at the club, and to more community involvement. And if you, and the SMISA board can't see that St Mirren really are f**ked! Even better of course would be if the Fans Council could evolve itself into a St Mirren Foundation of some description or another. 

6 hours ago, civilsaint said:

Doing something isn't enough though. Politics is part of every walk of life. If you can't get the people on board you have failed. That isn't pessimism.

Hopefully things change and a consensus is found.

Our club has done lots, set up a new bar where there was a void, joint SMiSA Gordon Scott buy out, funded a new disabled platform, repaired the problems with the facilities at Ralston, cleaned up the stadium, provided funds to repair the USH, provided funds to buy new players, encouraged the fans to bring donations for a Christmas food bank collection that was a huge success.

These are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Where are all of these achievements celebrated on here? The talkers would rather point out all the negatives in what the club is trying to achieve. 

We have a lot to be proud of, it's demoralising when all you read is constant negative comments. I wonder at times why they bother to do this in their own time at their own expense without any reward.

12 minutes ago, Kendo said:

Our club has done lots, set up a new bar where there was a void, joint SMiSA Gordon Scott buy out, funded a new disabled platform, repaired the problems with the facilities at Ralston, cleaned up the stadium, provided funds to repair the USH, provided funds to buy new players, encouraged the fans to bring donations for a Christmas food bank collection that was a huge success.

But but but .............

Apart from aw that ? :D