1877 Club

div

30 minutes ago, Drew said:

I was signed in as a guest for both the Livingston and Morton games, and spent a fair bit of time in the club before and after each match.

I thought it was very good, overall, but don't doubt that the occasions contributed hugely to the atmosphere. My mate who is the signed up member confirmed as much.

Pre-match on Saturday, there was bags of space, and it looks as though many folk held off until the after-match celebrations. This would suggest that there is potential to look at ways of enticing more people to come along. Whilst members are being charged a monthly rate, though, I'm not sure how this could be done fairly.

The facility is great, but I wonder if more could be made of it (and, indeed, from it!).

You were certainly one of the better dressed punters we've seen in the 1877 bar on Saturday :P

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to using the club before games in the2018/19season. My grandson reaches 18 and his present is membership of the club.  A safe,  clean,  affordable place to visit before a match.  Tying in car parking this season as crowds will be larger. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, Graeme Aitken said:

My 2nd visit to the 1877 since joining up as a founder member.

Alan Wardrop kindly took my son & mates 2 boys for a wee tour. Into the media room and the boardroom where, Sir Tony of Fitz had a warm welcome for them and a few photo's too.

& the beers after, players coming in & the 3 boys somehow managed to get a kickabout on the pitch with some of the players children

Best £10 a month i've spent in a long time.

It is great you had a great day that day and Alan did the same for my nephew on his birthday which was fabulous.  Interesting though that you have only used it twice since it opened, you are of course entitled to pay and never use it if you so choose. It was trophy day it was always going to be a good day would be interesting to see what you would have thought if it had just been a normal matchday without any of the extras. It is a great facility but its no secret I feel it could be improved...which will lead me on to my next post!

So at 10pm Friday night Colin (who I now know now is Colin that does the door at the club) put out a tweet to say that the club wouldn't be open afterwards to non members, unless paying guest previous to game.

So many things wrong with this - short notice, tweet from someone's personal twitter, nothing official, nothing on FB page for the bar, no email to memebers.

Alan Wardrop did come on to twitter on Saturday morning to reply - so apparently some members have complained about those getting in for nothing. Ok - why were all members not asked about their views on this? What about us members who don't want guests charged and therefore have no problem with non members being in after?

I went in after and it was nowhere near full yet folk turned away at door because of this decision.

I've said this repeatedly - its NOT a members club from what I can see from my first year in it. ( I have already told Alan that I don't think mine and my nephew's membership will continue much longer). A members club - meetings, agms, votes - surely.. not to mention members bar prices. You basically pay a tenner a month to get you in.  Alan did say back in March when he gave my nephew a tour for his birthday that he had taken my comments on board about the fact that players are hardly ever in and that this would change (too early in season to judge that).

A fellow member has requested a meeting, as yet no reply. Not everyone is going to agree with the same things but I also think a meeting is needed to air our views, its meant to be our club but it appears we have no say in anything. I shall wait and see what happened over next few weeks then decide whether to keep our memberships.

Any other members on here got any thoughts on it?

As someone who also has a membership, I don't mind non-members getting in for free, as long as they buy plenty of drink.:guinness

I only went twice last season to celebrate winning the league.

Might go at the end of the season to celebrate us staying up.:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

As someone who also has a membership, I don't mind non-members getting in for free, as long as they buy plenty of drink.:guinness

I only went twice last season to celebrate winning the league.

Might go at the end of the season to celebrate us staying up.:rolleyes:

See ye in there, but keep it to yourself. :whistle

Yip disappointing we can't spend our money in a half empty bar within the stadium post match, money it appears they can afford to turn away. Barmy in my book ! Just out of interest is there still an element of repayment that requires on going membership fees and if so when is it projected o be repaid in full. If there isn't the whole structure seems mental. Surely if or when any debt is repaid a straight (lower) joining fee would suffice without monthly subs. At the bar prices being charged it must run at a profit given the few staff employed.

4 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

It is great you had a great day that day and Alan did the same for my nephew on his birthday which was fabulous.  Interesting though that you have only used it twice since it opened, you are of course entitled to pay and never use it if you so choose. It was trophy day it was always going to be a good day would be interesting to see what you would have thought if it had just been a normal matchday without any of the extras. It is a great facility but its no secret I feel it could be improved...which will lead me on to my next post!

I live in London

That is the main reason that I have only attended The 1877 Club twice since its inception. I would love to attend the 1877 Club more often but various other commitments dictate that I only get up the road once in a while.

With regards to the day itself, I expect Alan Wardrop would have given the same tour, no matter the occasion of the match and it would be much appreciated no matter what.

I spoke with Alan briefly on Saturday and asked him about the post game policy change. He said it was to do with capacity as the club is at its highest ever membership number and also there is a steady stream of guests coming in.

I’m not convinced the system is right to be honest but with over 250 members now mostly paying £10 a month (kids pay £5 a month but there aren’t many) the club is bringing in say £2.3K a month in revenue before a pint is poured.

If it was a free for all and anyone could walk in for free it would be better attended but would probably earn less money.

Sadly that’s the crux of it.

I spoke with Alan briefly on Saturday and asked him about the post game policy change. He said it was to do with capacity as the club is at its highest ever membership number and also there is a steady stream of guests coming in.

I’m not convinced the system is right to be honest but with over 250 members now mostly paying £10 a month (kids pay £5 a month but there aren’t many) the club is bringing in say £2.3K a month in revenue before a pint is poured.

If it was a free for all and anyone could walk in for free it would be better attended but would probably earn less money.

Like everything at Saints the fans pay for it. Club. Buddievison. Car park. Season tickets. Were just pound signs to them.

8 minutes ago, div said:

I pop in before a match and usually have a guest. I have financed my grandson to become a member and he will sign his dad in.  I like the facility,  like the work on the walls of the stairs. It is now busy however and a seat is not guaranteed.  Post match - So far haven't used the club but could see me doing this in the future but would need to know arrangements in advance for myself, grandson and guests. 

38 minutes ago, Graeme Aitken said:

I live in London

That is the main reason that I have only attended The 1877 Club twice since its inception. I would love to attend the 1877 Club more often but various other commitments dictate that I only get up the road once in a while.

With regards to the day itself, I expect Alan Wardrop would have given the same tour, no matter the occasion of the match and it would be much appreciated no matter what.

No bother just wondered why you didn't use it often as there seem so to be  fair fee members that don't just good to get s picture why

Like everything at Saints the fans pay for it. Club. Buddievison. Car park. Season tickets. Were just pound signs to them.
That's why I can't help but think we should have it set up for travelling fans to go to.

They are the ones on their day out with cash in their pockets. We should be getting money from them rather than taking more from a group that already digs deep.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Yip disappointing we can't spend our money in a half empty bar within the stadium post match, money it appears they can afford to turn away. Barmy in my book ! Just out of interest is there still an element of repayment that requires on going membership fees and if so when is it projected o be repaid in full. If there isn't the whole structure seems mental. Surely if or when any debt is repaid a straight (lower) joining fee would suffice without monthly subs. At the bar prices being charged it must run at a profit given the few staff employed.

See tbh I'm not overly sure, I wasn't a founder member but I think the initial loan may no be repaid. I hadn't to pay a joining fee of £50 for me and £25 for my nephew. Since joining I've become more aware that  you don't get a say in hee haw and when I have asked or put forward thoughts I've just been given figures to show how well it's doing. 

24 minutes ago, div said:

Aye he mentioned that on twitter after saying it wasn't cos some members had complained - so what one is it or is it both? Sorry Div but I think the way it was done was done was wrong. The calcutta cup day incident and the crap at the end of the season when some members couldn't even get one guest signed in cos an email was sent out one day basically as a first come first served, really really annoyed. I expressed this to Alan. Especially the rugby thing, that really pissed me off. I'll wait and see if he replies to the member who has requested a members meeting but I'm not convinced I'll be staying a member. You just pay a tenner a month, pay normal bar prices and have no say in anything. There's a waiting list apparently to join so the club won't go short *rolls eyes*.  

Yeah that is fair comment mate. It’s a very expensive time to be a fan, and let’s not forget the fact that 1300 if us are shelling out at least £12 a month to buy the club too!

16 minutes ago, Hambud said:

That's why I can't help but think we should have it set up for travelling fans to go to.

They are the ones on their day out with cash in their pockets. We should be getting money from them rather than taking more from a group that already digs deep.

No one is forcing us to be members tho, and some folk a tenner a month is nothing, also some folk have the attitude the money is going to the club so  it's all good. I'm not in that group I want value for money and would be kinda nice to have a say in stuff/ be involved in decisions etc. Without members there wouldn't be a club then they would have to just have it a free for all so imo members should have a say in stuff. It's a great facility but I'm paying for it so if I'm not happy with stuff I'll tell them. It's a wee change from reading about Stubbs!

It Comes over to someone who has never felt an inkling to try it as a bitnof a bowling/golf club set up. 

From a business perspective getting 250 people to pay £50 to join, and then a tenner a month subs for something others can walk in for free or £3 seems like a sweet deal. Cant get my head round why people join, and pay subs for something they will only at best see the inside of 15 times a year on average, and others a lot less.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

It Comes over to someone who has never felt an inkling to try it as a bitnof a bowling/golf club set up. 

From a business perspective getting 250 people to pay £50 to join, and then a tenner a month subs for something others can walk in for free or £3 seems like a sweet deal. Cant get my head round why people join, and pay subs for something they will only at best see the inside of 15 times a year on average, and others a lot less.

Can only speak for myself but it's purely down to absolute laziness.

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

It must be one of the most expensive clubs to be a member of, given costs of joining and subscription against actual time you can use it. 

3 minutes ago, div said:

Can only speak for myself but it's purely down to absolute laziness.

Not knocking why members dont pop in at every game, we all lead different lives, with differing demands on time. It just feels still like an opportunity missed to sweat the asset. Be hard job convincing the club to turn their nose up at the £50 plus subs deal. For me i would sell it as an informal sports bar style hospitality with an appropriate priced ST, and direct access to premium seating.